Canadian Soccer Part III

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bizarre move though, it's not a strong Second Division, he didn't have any MLS offer?

Sounds like had offers from 'south of the boarder' what ever that entails.

The team he is going to has qualified for a promotion game in March to get to the top flight. My guess is Borges saw that as his opportunity to make it to a top flight league in Europe. He was in Europe as a U-21 and ultimately I think it is where he wants to try and make it.

I like the move from that perspective that Europe is the end goal for him as a pro. Hopefully it works out!

Reactions: Pouchkine

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When I win Powerball I plan on buying a CPL franchise in Southern Ontario: Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to the newest CPL club the Grimsby Giraffes!!!!!!!!!!!

Our first signing!

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Bizarre move though, it's not a strong Second Division, he didn't have any MLS offer?

Leuven's a good club though, they are owned by the same people who own Leicester City. Huge for Forge as they finally have a nice chunk of cash coming in, gives them a leg up on the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pouchkine

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ottawa official for the 2020 season and it will be Ateltico in ownership. My guess is that is it for expansions this off-season but that next year 2 more teams will be announced to get to take the total to 10.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Ottawa official for the 2020 season and it will be Ateltico in ownership. My guess is that is it for expansions this off-season but that next year 2 more teams will be announced to get to take the total to 10.

Nice news, 8 clubs to round out the league. Atletico are my club too. Odd though I don't think I've seen another club start their own before, wonder what their motivation is. But they are behind the other clubs in that they are starting from scratch and the other clubs have a season under their belts, going to be interesting to see who they bring in, they don't have much time, so will have to hit the ground running, unless of course this has been in the works for awhile and they have things in place, still don't have a coach yet though looks like.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nice news, 8 clubs to round out the league. Atletico are my club too. Odd though I don't think I've seen another club start their own before, wonder what their motivation is. But they are behind the other clubs in that they are starting from scratch and the other clubs have a season under their belts, going to be interesting to see who they bring in, they don't have much time, so will have to hit the ground running, unless of course this has been in the works for awhile and they have things in place, still don't have a coach yet though looks like.
I'm sure they have some things in place already in terms of possible personal. They will go through the motion that the clubs went through last year; host trials, loan some players in, sign some Canadians from the OSL, pick up some guys from the U-Sports draft, etc. Who knows maybe they even get some young Spanish players on loan or something like that.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I'm sure they have some things in place already in terms of possible personal. They will go through the motion that the clubs went through last year; host trials, loan some players in, sign some Canadians from the OSL, pick up some guys from the U-Sports draft, etc. Who knows maybe they even get some young Spanish players on loan or something like that.

I don't know if they will do trials, that was a league wide inagural thing, they might do their own private trials. They missed the U-Sports draft. I'm thinking though that their international network will probably be the best, maybe bring in some Spanish div. 3 or lower guys, or guys within the Atletico system, coach might be Spanish. You could say all or most of the best Canadian talent is already gone though with Y9 and Forge having taking a lot of Ontario talent already.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't know if they will do trials, that was a league wide inagural thing, they might do their own private trials. They missed the U-Sports draft. I'm thinking though that their international network will probably be the best, maybe bring in some Spanish div. 3 or lower guys, or guys within the Atletico system, coach might be Spanish.

They continue to do trials, I believe Valour has one coming up in Febuary. It's a great way to get some more Canadian names on contract to meet the league quota. Ahh true, forget the draft had already come and gone.

Are you going to be supporting the Ottawa team?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Pretty cool stuff and even being linked to Atletico if only by name and backing is going to be good for the franchise, at least in the short term. Glad to see Ottawa get a team back so quickly after the Fury debacle.

Agreed! It's awesome for the soccer fans in Ottawa and it's also great to see the Nation's Capital get a team i the domestic league, overall it just feels right!

Also I'm really excited to do an away day to Ottawa! TD-Place is a great place to catch a game!

Reactions: sabremike

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
They continue to do trials, I believe Valour has one coming up in Febuary. It's a great way to get some more Canadian names on contract to meet the league quota. Ahh true, forget the draft had already come and gone.

Are you going to be supporting the Ottawa team?

Well they don't need to do open trials anymore do they, since they already have near full squads now, wouldn't private ones be the way to go.

I'll adopt them as my 2nd team I suppose, even though that's not the norm, but this is a special case.

Reactions: robertmac43

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Looks like Valour are the only club doing open trials, maybe because they were so poor last season or don't have good connections.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looks like Valour are the only club doing open trials, maybe because they were so poor last season or don't have good connections.

It's an interesting choice for sure. I was surprised to see it after they brought in Aird, he isn't a small name in Canadian football, it's an overall decent signing for the league. I guess they didn't have much else lined up.

Maybe they are just trying to find a hidden gem to add to the squad who knows.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It's an interesting choice for sure. I was surprised to see it after they brought in Aird, he isn't a small name in Canadian football, it's an overall decent signing for the league. I guess they didn't have much else lined up.

Maybe they are just trying to find a hidden gem to add to the squad who knows.

It looks like they have lost most of their squad from last season too, so perhaps a bit desperate to add people.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yes, nice for them to get Levis.

I find it interesting that a lot of Valour players have gone to other clubs when they were so poor.

I was going to say the same thing. Bustos was their best player last year so it makes sense he moved on but even he was underwhelming. They will be an interesting team to watch this coming season.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I was going to say the same thing. Bustos was their best player last year so it makes sense he moved on but even he was underwhelming. They will be an interesting team to watch this coming season.

Bustos is maybe a good player, just did not work with Valour. Inevitable because Valour did not want him back?

Valour could have another tough season since it looks like they are pretty much starting over again.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Ottawa might now be the richest club in the league and be able to sign most of their players for more than 1 season, though Atletico I think have had financial troubles in the past.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Ryan Telfer's moving to the Cypriot top tier, I know he's not Canadian, but still positive for the CPL.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bustos is maybe a good player, just did not work with Valour. Inevitable because Valour did not want him back?

Valour could have another tough season since it looks like they are pretty much starting over again.

I think leaving was more of a his choice thing. Since the season ended it has seemed as if he would leave, my guess is he wants a fresh start so he can hopefully have a productive year and move on from the CPL.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ottawa might now be the richest club in the league and be able to sign most of their players for more than 1 season, though Atletico I think have had financial troubles in the past.

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of funds. I don't know if we wills see many longer contracts due to the fact that 1) they have to have certain amount of Canadians and 2) a lot of players are going to see playing for a club associated with Atletico as a good stepping stone to bigger things. They won't to be strapped down for too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad