Canadian Soccer Part II

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The draw in El Salvador hurt a lot too. What confederation will 4th in the hex play next time? Or is that decided at the draw?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If Floro is still coaching this team Tuesday, I'm done with them until he's replaced.

Down 2-1 in a must-result game.. and we sub in Ledgerwood (who I think is great, but not now).. for our striker (yes, gassed.. but put in a striker).

What a ****ing joke. Floro is literally one of the worst coaches I've ever witnessed. He's far worse than Hart.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
It sure would be great if our boys could win a 50/50 ball. Honduras just wants it more every time. Our country is pathetic at soccer.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We can't possess the ball and thay is not because Honduras is applying pressure...

No ball support, no offensive structure. Trully a badly coached side. We have limited talent, sure, but we shouldn't look that lost on the field. Very painful to watch.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well that's that.

We need a miracle on Tuesday. Win by like 3+ and Mexico to do the same.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Canada has been pretty much eliminated. Better than last time around but that's not saying much.

The issues run deep. Not just the CSA.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Every time I watch this team play I can never even figure out what their game plan is. Such a terribly coached squad.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for capping Arfield & Hoilett (who is terrible now that he doesn't play ever), Floro.

See you later (I hope!).

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
We have poor players bar a couple.

I mean one of our starting centrebacks is a bench player on a Japanese team, and Ledgerwood plays for FC Edmonton...

We arn't qualifying for the world cup with garbage like that.

Then you have Henry getting beat by his man to the far post on plays any defender should mop up.

No possession, no skill, no tactical culture.

Larin was a ox today who couldnt even hold up simple balls.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Canada has been pretty much eliminated. Better than last time around but that's not saying much.

The issues run deep. Not just the CSA.
Better than last time??

We had 10 points last time. We'll finish with 7 at the most this time.

Last time, we had one really bad game.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We have poor players bar a couple.

I mean one of our starting centrebacks is a bench player on a Japanese team, and Ledgerwood plays for FC Edmonton...

We arn't qualifying for the world cup with garbage like that.

Then you have Henry getting beat by his man to the far post on plays any defender should mop up.

No possession, no skill, no tactical culture.

Larin was a ox today who couldnt even hold up simple balls.
Many of our players don't even play on their club team. You could tell that Hoilett and Henry were gassed. I don't think either have played this season.

Akindele shouldn't have been gassed, as much as he plays. Surprising actually, but it is what it is.

Arfield, Edgar, and Borjan were great. Hutch was alright. No way Johnson doesn't out perform most of that team tonight. A joke that he wasn't there.

And subbing Larin out for Ledgerwood......................... BAHAHAHAHA. Why not Simeon Jackson, who plays in a better league than most of our guys (English League One) and has potted 3 goals in the last couple of weeks. Nah, let's through in Ledgerwood and play to lose.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
They're done, it's very possible that Mexico thrashes Honduras but Canada couldn't score more than one goal if their lives depended on it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If Canada and Honduras are tied in points and goal differential Honduras will advance.
No. The team that scores the most goals would advance. Honduras has scored 6 and we've scored 2. If we won 4-0 (which is unlikely, but somewhat possible) and Mexico won 1-0.. we'd advance based on scoring more away goals between the tied clubs.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hey, at least they didn't get annihilated this time around. :dunno:

Baby steps, right?

It still amazes me, how our women's team can be top five on the planet, while the men's team has been more or less spinning its' tires for the better part of the last three decades, providing very little aside from disappointment.

What gives?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
As if the coach is the problem. We just aren't good enough.

Definitely, but having such a small time, negative manager doesn't help. Subbing out Larin for Ledgerwood was pretty pathetic.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Why is it that men in this country absolutely suck at any sport that involves a ball? Seriously sick and tired of this.

Would like to see a crowd of less than 10,000 at BC Place vs El Salvador, just to make a statement to the CSA, but they'll in turn will just move all the games to Toronto, have other countries' supporters fill 3/4 of the stadium and be proud of the ticket sales and say soccer is great in this country.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Even if Pep Guardiola was the coach of this team, what the hell could he do with a bunch of players with horrible technique, minimal soccer IQ and very little tactical nous?

The players are not good enough, period.

The smartest investment the CSA could make would be to pony the cash to have 2 or 3 hundred coaches across the country work full time in obtaining UEFA coaching licenses. No individual in Canada with the title of 'Coach' should be doing so without an UEFA license, ESPECIALLY those working with kids.

People keep pointing out the huge number of kids playing in this country but never mention the people coaching these kids. Potential is great but if you don't have individuals who can identify, unlock, develop and nurture that potential, you might as well not be in the business altogether.

I've said this many times before but if Xavi had been Canadian, he probably would have been phased out of the game by the time he was 13. Not big enough, not fast enough, blablabla.

Secondly, we desperately need some kind of identity. What the hell is Canadian football supposed to be? Physical players who can run hard? Terrible and clearly not good enough. Figure out what we would like to be and implement it from the u-14 to the senior level.

If I was in charge, no single player under the age 13 would play a second of football on a pitch or turf in this country. Futsal year round from 6 to 13 years old. Then and only then do you start breaking them in on grass. 10 to 15 years of this and we would no longer see so many mediocre players with brutal first touches and poor ball control on our senior side at the very least.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Many of our players don't even play on their club team. You could tell that Hoilett and Henry were gassed. I don't think either have played this season.
Doneil Henry seems to be very injury-prone. He played well during his loan at Blackburn but got injured again after a handful of games. Still under contract for 2 more years at West Ham and currently on a 4 month loan in Denmark.
He´s earning around 15.000 £ per week, so I guess he´ll stick around as long as possible. Good for his bank account, pretty bad for his development and the canadian national team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad