Canadian Soccer Part II

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Wolves made a joke out of Young Boys in pre-season with a mediocre roster. And I remember reading Young Boys were using a good squad. Wolves were literally a Championship team last year. Young Boys are a Champions League side.

I'm not saying a team like Burnley would crush Young Boys every single night, but I'd probably still give them the edge, IMO.
You talk about pre season friendlies...
Go look Everton Southampton West Ham Europa results the last few years. Red Star Belgrade just tied Napoli in a Champions League game, real games that matter. You really think some crap bottom EPL team could compete, forget it.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I 100 percent agree. I cheer for Brighton and Hove (on top of Arsenal, 2 teams in the family heritage :p) and I woud pick them over Young boys and some of the other weaker CL teams easily.

The money you receive once in the Prem is insane compared to top teams in weaker domestic leagues across Europe.
How about the money they receive to play in the Champions League?

I watch enough EPL Champions Europa games to see that most bottom EPL clubs are nothing special.

Ok Young Boys this year are not exactly a powerhouse but the last few years Basel had better results that all but the top 5-6 of England could achieve in Europe.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Back on topic, the Canadian team is still lackimg 4 quality defenders, 2 midfielders, a real team leader on and off the pitch and most importantly building a winning mentality.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Back on topic, the Canadian team is still lackimg 4 quality defenders, 2 midfielders, a real team leader on and off the pitch and most importantly building a winning mentality.

Again it takes time. You don't just become a winning side in one night. The mentality will change as these new prospects become more integrated and become the center pieces of the squad.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Let's hope so, for that we will need good coaching and at least 1 big team leader.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Let's hope so, for that we will need good coaching and at least 1 big team leader.

Agreed with the coaching point, they are going to be important in our success. I'm not too worried about their being an out and out leader at this point. One will emerge naturally in time.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He's playing Champions League games that's better than playing for some bad midtable or relegation EPL teams.

What Henry and Morgan still being there?????
Ok, you are clearly going to take the contrarian viewpoint. Forget the club Borjan plays for...I've watched Borjan play many, many times for us and did catch a couple of Ludogorets games as well other highlights. He is a competent keeper but should not be #1 for a team with World Cup aspirations. We need someone to break through and be a difference maker. No issues with Borjan at 2 or 3....preferably #3.

Reactions: robertmac43

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I agree with you Borjan is a decent goalkeeper but not a top notch one and I thought that in many games with Canada he didn't look very good and had problem managing his box and the defence.

My point was that at least when you play big Champions League games it gives you experience of the highest level in big meaningful games unlike playing basically just to not be relegated on some awful epl teams.

So you actually agree with me! We have some nice talent coming through in the forwards and midfielders but we have to almost completely rebuild the defence and goalkeeper. And I'm not sold on some guys as well, Osorio for one never played good for Canada, will he in the future? Piette is ok on an average MLS team, is he good enough for Canada? Teibert same thing.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I agree with you Borjan is a decent goalkeeper but not a top notch one and I thought that in many games with Canada he didn't look very good and had problem managing his box and the defence.

My point was that at least when you play big Champions League games it gives you experience of the highest level in big meaningful games unlike playing basically just to not be relegated on some awful epl teams.

So you actually agree with me! We have some nice talent coming through in the forwards and midfielders but we have to almost completely rebuild the defence and goalkeeper. And I'm not sold on some guys as well, Osorio for one never played good for Canada, will he in the future? Piette is ok on an average MLS team, is he good enough for Canada? Teibert same thing.
I think Osorio is ready to do damage for Canada now. I would prefer if Teibert and Piette get pushed out by better players.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Hutnchinson is 35 and his career is nearing its end. I don't see any of our midfielders capable of replacing him. Good to have Davies, Ballou, Hoilett, Larin, but we need an engine in midfield.

As already stated, we badly need defense. Did we lose hope on Tomori?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm here!!! Section 108! Pre-Gaming at Shoeless Joe's right now. GO CANADA GO!!

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
When we play "good" teams he often has trouble like most of our guys. Tomorrow 20h00 the Women National Team play USA in the final of the WC qualifying tournament. Should be much more interesting.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Busti starting and getting cap tied.

I'm sure Tabla will get on at some point to get cap tied aswell.

Fun looking lineup. So many young attacking threats!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Decent seats!

2jbvb4z.jpg

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Those seats are fire! Was hoping to make it down for the game but I'm currently living to far from toronto and could not get off work early@

Looking forward to the game, have a great time and cheer extra loud @Natey

Reactions: Natey

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Davies is playing really poor. If goal differential wasn't so important, I wouldn't care. He's clearly trying things against weak opposition.. But he needs to stop turning it over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad