Canadian Soccer Part II

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's great news but until the team actually starts to win meaningful games we shouldn't get so excited. This team desperately needs some leaders on and off the pitch and to start developing a winning mentality. Also it needs quality defenders...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's great news but until the team actually starts to win meaningful games we shouldn't get so excited. This team desperately needs some leaders on and off the pitch and to start developing a winning mentality. Also it needs quality defenders...

I would say this is plenty to be excited about for now. We have a truly special prospect choose to stay within the Canada soccer program. Too many times have we seen players walk away, it is great to see that we are gaining momentum in terms of staying.

100 percent agree with the need for defenders though, like we really need to inject some new talent there!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I would say this is plenty to be excited about for now. We have a truly special prospect choose to stay within the Canada soccer program. Too many times have we seen players walk away, it is great to see that we are gaining momentum in terms of staying.

100 percent agree with the need for defenders though, like we really need to inject some new talent there!
Exactly. I'm not sure all the options, but we've capped 4 really young quality players within the past year in Alphonso Davies, Liam Millar, Jonathan David, and soon to be Ballou. This is huge.

There are more players out there to cap, and hopefully we can prove we deserve some high quality players. Hopefully a guy like Ferreira decides Canada is his best bet. And maybe someone like Tomori can be left alone by England for us to pick up, haha.

We're definitely not in the days where players like Jon De Guzman turn us down for a couple years of international play.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We're definitely not in the days where players like Jon De Guzman turn us down for a couple years of international play.

Thank goodness we have started to get away from this kind of thing. I can only imagine things continueing to get better before going back to those dark days.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Until we start winning competitive games it's still worrying.

I will be worried if progress can't be seen in 4-5 years. We are clearly trending up as a Soccer nation at the moment it can be seen in the youth coming through the ranks and that is only going to better with time. We have the CPL coming in, the 2026 bid going through... There is plenty to be optimistic about!

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I will be worried if progress can't be seen in 4-5 years. We are clearly trending up as a Soccer nation at the moment it can be seen in the youth coming through the ranks and that is only going to better with time. We have the CPL coming in, the 2026 bid going through... There is plenty to be optimistic about!
I agree..been many, many dark days following Canadian soccer but this is the best spot we've ever been in.

And yes...I still want a top flight goalkeeper for 2026.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I agree..been many, many dark days following Canadian soccer but this is the best spot we've ever been in.

And yes...I still want a top flight goalkeeper for 2026.
Well we have an 18-year-old kid signed with Juventus. He'd be in his prime by 2026.

We should have cap-tied him against Virgin Islands, but he just sat on the bench. I'm not sure what else Busti has with his international options (Italy for sure), but I hope this doesn't end up being another Asmir Begovic. I'll never forgive our management for not cap-tying while they had the chance.

Borjan is a solid keeper, but he's not a Premier League quality keeper.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
ROSTER vs Dominica

CANADA

1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / Kongsvinger IL
2- FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | FRA / Olympique Lyonnais
3- CB- Manjrekar James | DEN / FC Fredericia
4- CB- Derek Cornelius | SRB / FK Javor Ivanjica
5- CB- David Edgar | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
6- M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
7- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
8- M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
9- F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
10- M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
11- F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
12- W- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
14- W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23
15- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC
17- FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
18- GK- James Pantemis | CAN / Impact de Montréal
19- F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
20- F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
21- M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
22- GK- Alessandro Busti | ITA / Juventus FC U-23
23- M- Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla | ESP / FC Barcelona B

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Have you seen the last world cup qualifying competition? We were terrible.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Well we have an 18-year-old kid signed with Juventus. He'd be in his prime by 2026.

We should have cap-tied him against Virgin Islands, but he just sat on the bench. I'm not sure what else Busti has with his international options (Italy for sure), but I hope this doesn't end up being another Asmir Begovic. I'll never forgive our management for not cap-tying while they had the chance.

Borjan is a solid keeper, but he's not a Premier League quality keeper.
He's playing Champions League games that's better than playing for some bad midtable or relegation EPL teams.

What Henry and Morgan still being there?????

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully they cap Busti and Brault-Guillard.
I'd imagine the goal is to cap tie both, as well as Ballou.

Pantemis, probably not.

If I'm not mistaken, all the rest are cap-tied already.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He's playing Champions League games that's better than playing for some bad midtable or relegation EPL teams.
Playing in Champions League doesn't automatically make you better than some EPL teams, especially mid-table ones.

The bottom of the Champions League has some fairly mediocre sides.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Have you seen the last world cup qualifying competition? We were terrible.

I mean yeah I watched all of it and yes we were, but what does that have anything to do with being optimistic about the current situation? It's already a very different time for Canadian soccer than it was when were still alive in the last qualifying round.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I mean yeah I watched all of it and yes we were, but what does that have anything to do with being optimistic about the current situation? It's already a very different time for Canadian soccer than it was when were still alive in the last qualifying round.
Agreed. That was many years ago. A team can't improve in 4 years?

There's literally NHL teams that become dominate after missing the playoffs for years, or vice versa.

Teams change, especially when the youth program changes for the better and its the driving force behind the improvements.

We literally set a record in our first official game with a new coach. We played a weak side, but we've played them (or similar quality teams) many times before without an injection of youth and didn't score 8 goals.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Teams change, especially when the youth program changes for the better and its the driving force behind the improvements.

Also the overall mentality towards soccer in Canada is just better. Becoming better is no longer just cheap talk, initiative is actually being taken by those who have the power to make change.

Reactions: Natey

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Playing in Champions League doesn't automatically make you better than some EPL teams, especially mid-table ones.

The bottom of the Champions League has some fairly mediocre sides.
Which are still miles better than bottom epl teams by far. And playing big Champions League game is also much better for experience.

Many "decent" EPL teams can't even cut it in Europa League for instance. The 5-6 top EPL teams are all very solid but after that it's nothing special.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Also the overall mentality towards soccer in Canada is just better. Becoming better is no longer just cheap talk, initiative is actually being taken by those who have the power to make change.
Until we see it in real games I would stay cautious.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I get the cautious thing, trust me I do, especially with the way this program has disappointed in the past. I'd just recommend trying the positive optimistic route with the current state of the team. Watching the soccer program slowly build up is fun, embrace it!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Which are still miles better than bottom epl teams by far. And playing big Champions League game is also much better for experience.

Many "decent" EPL teams can't even cut it in Europa League for instance. The 5-6 top EPL teams are all very solid but after that it's nothing special.
Wolves made a joke out of Young Boys in pre-season with a mediocre roster. And I remember reading Young Boys were using a good squad. Wolves were literally a Championship team last year. Young Boys are a Champions League side.

I'm not saying a team like Burnley would crush Young Boys every single night, but I'd probably still give them the edge, IMO.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm not saying a team like Burnley would crush Young Boys every single night, but I'd probably still give them the edge, IMO.

I 100 percent agree. I cheer for Brighton and Hove (on top of Arsenal, 2 teams in the family heritage :p) and I woud pick them over Young boys and some of the other weaker CL teams easily.

The money you receive once in the Prem is insane compared to top teams in weaker domestic leagues across Europe.

Reactions: Natey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad