Canadian players which are MISTAKES on the roster thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Martin St. Louis is an ELITE player in the NHL. There is no way he should have been left off teh roster.

They need to revamp the PP. Again, I'd do the "3 big people" line, and I'd have somebody like Sakic or Richards man the points. Prongers looks too hurt, McCabe isn't getting his point shotss through, let's try something

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Zaddik said:
i am not saying you should forego grinders over highly skilled players who are better than them. i am just saying, loyalty should not take precident over performance currently.

What exacty is meant by "loyalty should not take precident over performance currently"- please elaborate.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
ferns8916 said:
I think Kariya should have replaced either Nash or St.Louis.

He is a better player than both of them. He has much more success in International competition than both of them. He is more experienced and clutch than both of them.

Although, with St.Louis, it is debatable because he has won the Stanley Cup and the Art Ross Trophy. Nash though? No question Kariya should have been picked before him.
Agreed. Kariya is exactly what this team needs.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Flyguy_1ca said:
Smyth
Regehr

What has RYAN SMYTH done to upset you?

And Regehr? There are no uninjured Canadian defenseman that's better than Robyn Regehr.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Namso said:
Agreed. Kariya is exactly what this team needs.

what, a small speedy forward who's positive and negative attributes are IDENTICAL to those of St. Louis?

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
St.Lous has proved that he is very good player, but this point there would be better players...in 2003/2004 St.Louis was very dominant player!

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
what, a small speedy forward who's positive and negative attributes are IDENTICAL to those of St. Louis?

Kariya and St.Louis are far from identical players.

Kariya also has far more international experience.

This isn't to say that Kariya should replace St.Louis, but I think room could have been made for Kariya and the team would have been better off for it.

Regardless, this team should be good enough to win. Players do need to learn their roles and play more cohesively. Transition game is poor now.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Mike8 said:
Kariya and St.Louis are far from identical players.

They do have VERy similar skill sets. Great speed, great puck skills, and a lack of size.

Kariya also has far more international experience.

Martin St. Louis was great at World CUp 2004, the last MAJOR International Competition. I'm also pretty sure Martin St. Louis has played in the WOrld CHampionships before.

joe_shannon_1983*

Ironchef Chris Wok said:

St.Louis has played like crap every time he has put on the Canadian jersey.

Kariya, on the other hand, has been one of the best players on every Canadian team that he has ever played on.

joe_shannon_1983*

Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Martin St. Louis was great at World CUp 2004, the last MAJOR International Competition.

No he wasn't great. I remember that he was benched for the 2nd and 3rd periods of the game against the Czech Republic in the semi-final. And was completely inneffective in at least 2-3 other games in that 6 game tournament.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Personally I think the problem is with the management and coaching. The players are what they are, but the braintrust had the incorrect philosophy. They selected a power type of team that would be great on the NA ice, without considering that their skills wouldn't be nearly as effective on the big ice. Better skating, passing and skill should have taken precedence over the power aspect of the game. This team would likely dominate the World Cup, but isn't as effective against better skating teams on the big ice.

The n00b King ©*

although im canadian i am not cheering for team Canada this year..but i will say this: Remember last Olympics? when the Canadians struggled all through the preleminaries but towards the end managed to pull through the medal matches? And this is where they turned it up a notch. One can only hope that it will be the same. I guess id rather see them suck at the beginning and own when it matters than own at the beggining and suck at the end....

stockwizard*

The problems are too numerous for me to list right now.

Chemistry. How can a team have any sort of chemistry with a head case like Bertuzzi on it.

Zaddik

puck57 said:
What exacty is meant by "loyalty should not take precident over performance currently"- please elaborate.

taking a player who, while not exactly having a productive season, is taken based on whether they accepted an invitation to play for canada in the past over a player who has been better than them since then.

example: ryan smythe

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
The picking of this team really confused me. They wanted a mix of players who were loyal and had the experience as well as some of the younger stars who were too young the last time around.

For some reason, they picked the three Tampa Bay guys who could've easily been replaced by any experienced Team Canada guys who are still playing well like Shanahan or Kariya. The TB guys may have won a cup, but they have never been stars in their own right or done much outside of that year. I think all three were a mistake.

Kris Draper was a HUGE mistake. They picked him as a "defensive centre" or a "shutdown centre" and he's yet to do any of that. He's not being used a shutdown guy or an energy guy. He's been used on the left wing on a scoring line. So Team Canada totally bullshitted us into thinking Draper was there for defensive reasons, when clearly he's there because of the good ol' experience factor and nothing else. He's been 100% useless.

Players who deserve spots because of great years and past affiliation with TC:

Heatley, Gagne, Thornton, Nash

Players who deserve spots for experience and good/okay years:

Sakic, Iginla, Smyth

Players who deserve spots because they haven't sucked and Canada was determined to give them a chance:

Bertuzzi

Players who could easily be replaced and this team would be miles better:

Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis, Draper, Doan (out of the five, I'd keep Doan if I had to)

Players who would make this team instantly more efficient:

Kariya, Staal, Crosby, Spezza, Shanahan, Morrow etc.

I won't even start on the defense. We can't blame the defense because they DID name mostly the right players, two of them couldn't play. Phaneuf would be great, but I don't think would make enough of a difference. It's the forwards that are the problem.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Crosby Staal Spezza Tanguay Phaneuf

to replace

Draper St-Louis LeCavalier Richards McCabe

There are only two right handed forwards on the team :biglaugh:

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Personally I think the problem is with the management and coaching. The players are what they are, but the braintrust had the incorrect philosophy. They selected a power type of team that would be great on the NA ice, without considering that their skills wouldn't be nearly as effective on the big ice. Better skating, passing and skill should have taken precedence over the power aspect of the game. This team would likely dominate the World Cup, but isn't as effective against better skating teams on the big ice.

Okay psycho, since the majority of the blame is with people who are not even on the ice playing and since you know the correct philosophy, name the players you would select. Bear in mind if you were actually picking these players you are going to get criticized for whomever you chose and don't chose in the media and by fans alike. You also have no idea what injuries may occur after you pick the players on your roster where you would have to supplement other players. Yea- sure is easy sitting on the other side of the ocean now saying what a mistake was made in picking some of these players. Oh yea- one last thing- you still have NO idea when the games actually start just how well your players will actually stack up keeping in mind some countries have played together like the Swiss to give them the advantage that way. Go ahead and try to do a better job- oh yea your reputation is also on the line. :shakehead

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Look, this team, like every team, has strengths and weaknesses. The problem with Team canada is that their weakness is being exposed right now.

Thornton
Bertuzzi
Nash
Lecavalier
Pronger
Blake
Foote
Heatley

What do all these players have in common? Size and decent skating. They're not using their size and their decent skating is being exposed by the larger ice surface and by faster, quicker, more nimble, agile skaters.

that plus the fact that they're playing like they expect their reputations to knock over the competition. Maybe they should put in a little effort.

stockwizard*

trippyime said:
The picking of this team really confused me. They wanted a mix of players who were loyal and had the experience as well as some of the younger stars who were too young the last time around.

For some reason, they picked the three Tampa Bay guys who could've easily been replaced by any experienced Team Canada guys who are still playing well like Shanahan or Kariya. The TB guys may have won a cup, but they have never been stars in their own right or done much outside of that year. I think all three were a mistake.

Kris Draper was a HUGE mistake. They picked him as a "defensive centre" or a "shutdown centre" and he's yet to do any of that. He's not being used a shutdown guy or an energy guy. He's been used on the left wing on a scoring line. So Team Canada totally bullshitted us into thinking Draper was there for defensive reasons, when clearly he's there because of the good ol' experience factor and nothing else. He's been 100% useless.

Players who deserve spots because of great years and past affiliation with TC:

Heatley, Gagne, Thornton, Nash

Players who deserve spots for experience and good/okay years:

Sakic, Iginla, Smyth

Players who deserve spots because they haven't sucked and Canada was determined to give them a chance:

Bertuzzi

Players who could easily be replaced and this team would be miles better:

Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis, Draper, Doan (out of the five, I'd keep Doan if I had to)

Players who would make this team instantly more efficient:

Kariya, Staal, Crosby, Spezza, Shanahan, Morrow etc.

I won't even start on the defense. We can't blame the defense because they DID name mostly the right players, two of them couldn't play. Phaneuf would be great, but I don't think would make enough of a difference. It's the forwards that are the problem.

Good Post. I agree on most aspects except for Bertuzzi.
TP connection is WAY overrated.
We were BS's on Draper as well. What the Christ is he doing on a scoring line?
Give me Stall, Phaneuf, Crosby, and maybe a Shanahan.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
shaolin_goon said:
although im canadian i am not cheering for team Canada this year..but i will say this: Remember last Olympics? when the Canadians struggled all through the preleminaries but towards the end managed to pull through the medal matches? And this is where they turned it up a notch. One can only hope that it will be the same. I guess id rather see them suck at the beginning and own when it matters than own at the beggining and suck at the end....

No offense, but you're not Canadian.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I agree with the people who say that the problem is not the roster. Are you kidding me? This team is good enought to win Gold by going undefeated. Changing Draper with Crosby or dropping Bertuzzi and Doan for some other players wouldn't do a thing. The Canadians just aren't playing as a team, and Crosby/Phaneuf would do nothing to change this.

The roster is fine. The play of the team is the problem.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Flyguy_1ca said:
No offense, but you're not Canadian.

I'd always like to see Canada do well but the roster and coaching isn't the way I wanted it so Slovakia is my number one team if only Havlat was there they'd be my favourite.

Chara
Mez
Hossa
Demitra
Bondra
Havlat

all current or ex-Sens :)

I'm a Sens fan before a team Canada fan.

stockwizard*

By placing Draper on a scoring line, Fat Quinn's strategy is to lull the opposition to sleep with his stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->