Canadian goaltending development

obanga

Dec 11, 2008
Yes, this is a knee-jerk reaction from the WJC Gold medal game post.

In the last few seasons, there haven't been many great Canadian goaltenders coming out.

Steve Mason had a great rookie season, probably aided by the system, but has been meh since then. Chet Pickard had a horrible season last year. Jake Allen is doing well in the AHL I believe.

Canada's best goalies Luongo and Brodeur are over 30. Price, Ward and Crawford seem to be the only young goalies doing well in the NHL. Fleury is having a great season but hasn't exactly been too consistent in the last seasons.

Most of the goalies dominating the statsboard in the recent years are Americans (Tim Thomas (ok he's kinda old), Quick, Ryan Miller (having a off year I guess?), Howard (great season last year) and Jack Campbell is a great prospect) or European (Lundquist, Varlamov, Vokoun, Pavelec, Rinne, Halak, Bryzgalov, Backstrom, Hiller, with young goalies like Lindback, Rehner, Markstrom.

Are we still producing elite goaltenders? I remember the time when we had so many awesome goalies coming out of Quebec, etc. If not, has something changed in the system since?

Bibeen

Jan 1, 2011
Quebec
Don't put Crawford and Price in the same group, plzzzzzzzz.
Well, the last 3 years the goaltender of Canada wasn't that good in the U20 tournament but they have been drafted in a pretty good position so it's maybe just the stress during the ultimate game or an overconfidence...

obanga

Dec 11, 2008
Don't put Crawford and Price in the same group, plzzzzzzzz.
Well, the last 3 years the goaltender of Canada wasn't that good in the U20 tournament but they have been drafted in a pretty good position so it's maybe just the stress during the ultimate game or an overconfidence...

Haha, sorry, was looking through the stats leaders quickly. He was drafted in the 2nd round by the Hawks though.

Had a brain freeze there with the 2 threads. Could a mod please merge both of them?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah these last two tournaments the goaltending has been shaky, but imo every country goes through these fazes.

Canada still is producing solid 1B/2A goalers, but haven't seen a true 1A in a few years now, though it's very rare getting a 1A all the time except in Finland. Goalers like Campbell come every 5-10 years.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Yeah these last two tournaments the goaltending has been shaky, but imo every country goes through these fazes.

Canada still is producing solid 1B/2A goalers, but haven't seen a true 1A in a few years now, though it's very rare getting a 1A all the time except in Finland. Goalers like Campbell come every 5-10 years.

Price is a definitely showing he can be a 1A. He's all of what, 23?

Bibeen

Jan 1, 2011
Quebec
it's nothing but you know tonight, it wasn't only the fault of Visentin, all the team was down in the third period. Louis Leblanc said to RDS, in his head, the comeback came into like 5 sec and they were disappointed and discourage...

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I can't even name the best canadian goaltender for the next NHL draft. The previous years I could name at least 3 or 4.

obanga

Dec 11, 2008
Like I said above 5-10 years until we see another Price for Canada. Same goes to US when Campbell turns pro.

In the meantime, Scandanavia is pumping out mini Lundquists (more like giant in the case of Lindback lol) and Kippers. :/

Ward is 25, Fleury too and Price's 23. Luongo's 30. Turco, Theodore and Brodeur are over 33.

Then you've got the Pickards, Allen, Tokarski, and not sure if I can name any more.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Yeah, it's kind of sad what Canadian goaltending has become. Ward and Price are the only high-level Canadian goalies right now and even then there's still more elite goalies.

European goaltending seems to be miles ahead

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, it's kind of sad what Canadian goaltending has become. Ward and Price are the only high-level Canadian goalies right now and even then there's still more elite goalies.

European goaltending seems to be miles ahead

I think there are a few factors.

1) Young kids realize after the major goaltending craze in the 90's that, the reality is, there's only 30 starting NHL jobs out there, plus 30 backup jobs. And you are also going to be subject to who is in front of you. Take Cory Schneider, 1st rounder in 2004, spent 3 years in the NCAA and 3 in the AHL. Backing up Luongo with no chance of being #1 because of Luongo's contract. Has to be traded to get a #1 job. So, the opportunity to play in the NHL is slim as a goalie.

2) Kids no longer view Roy/Brodeur as their idol, not with Sidney Crosby and a whole bunch of young talented forwards and Dmen. Stamkos, Toews, Getzlaf, Staal, etc.

As a result, not getting the quantity of top flight young athletes who want to be goalies. Takes a very rare breed of person to handle the mental part of the game for being a goalie.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

In the last few seasons, there haven't been many great Canadian goaltenders coming out.

Steve Mason had a great rookie season, probably aided by the system, but has been meh since then. Chet Pickard had a horrible season last year. Jake Allen is doing well in the AHL I believe.

Canada's best goalies Luongo and Brodeur are over 30. Price, Ward and Crawford seem to be the only young goalies doing well in the NHL. Fleury is having a great season but hasn't exactly been too consistent in the last seasons.

Most of the goalies dominating the statsboard in the recent years are Americans (Tim Thomas (ok he's kinda old), Quick, Ryan Miller (having a off year I guess?), Howard (great season last year) and Jack Campbell is a great prospect) or European (Lundquist, Varlamov, Vokoun, Pavelec, Rinne, Halak, Bryzgalov, Backstrom, Hiller, with young goalies like Lindback, Rehner, Markstrom.

Are we still producing elite goaltenders? I remember the time when we had so many awesome goalies coming out of Quebec, etc. If not, has something changed in the system since?

There are numerous good quality goalies from Canada that will not see CHL "sponsered" events because they do not and did not play in the CHL.

ie Sam Brittain......the best goalie in his class but not playing.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

He is leading or close to every major goaltending category in the AHL. So, yeah he is having an ok year.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
There are numerous good quality goalies from Canada that will not see CHL "sponsered" events because they do not and did not play in the CHL.

the boys from the pipeline show would be glad to hear that ;)

lets hope he get a shot next year even if he's in the ncaa

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In the meantime, Scandanavia is pumping out mini Lundquists (more like giant in the case of Lindback lol) and Kippers. :/

Ward is 25, Fleury too and Price's 23. Luongo's 30. Turco, Theodore and Brodeur are over 33.

Then you've got the Pickards, Allen, Tokarski, and not sure if I can name any more.

Scandanavia is the only expectation because they already have a very solid system for goalers, starting at minors all the way to juniors.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga

Tons of players play for Canada at the U-17's, U-18's and U-20's that play in Jr. A and in the NCAA, so not quite sure what you're getting at.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Tons of players play for Canada at the U-17's, U-18's and U-20's that play in Jr. A and in the NCAA, so not quite sure what you're getting at.

I was referring to the Under 20's.........

The Team Canada roster had
20 CHL players
2 NCAA players
0 BCHL
0 AJHL
0 SJHL
0 MJHL
0 SIJHL
0 NOJHL
0 OJHL
0 Central HL
0 LHJ
0 MHL

In addition-
The U17 tourney had 5 teams from Canada....a total of 110 players.
A total of 5 came from junior A.

I would refer to this as "tons of players " from junior A.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Not Unusual

20 CHL players
2 NCAA players
0 BCHL
0 AJHL
0 SJHL
0 MJHL
0 SIJHL
0 NOJHL
0 OJHL
0 Central HL
0 LHJ
0 MHL

In addition-

Not unusual for Canada to ice a CHL laden lineup for the Under 20's. Majority of top level talent play in the CHL for Canada. Toews, Heatley, Turris, Kariya, etc. all played for Canada. Doesn't matter to Hockey Canada where you play, as long as you can help the team win a Gold Medal.

As for the lower tier leagues, the World Juniors, Canada mainly ices a 19 year old roster. Most of this year's team is made up from 2009 draft and 2010 draft. So, guys from the lower tier leagues usually would be playing in the NCAA if the compete at the Junior tournament.

As for goalies, again, I just think we are seeing fewer top level athletes playing the position.

Top Canadian players are skaters, not goalies. You are also seeing goalies get pushed out of their team if the team finds a cheaper option.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Not unusual for Canada to ice a CHL laden lineup for the Under 20's. Majority of top level talent play in the CHL for Canada. Toews, Heatley, Turris, Kariya, etc. all played for Canada. Doesn't matter to Hockey Canada where you play, as long as you can help the team win a Gold Medal.

As for the lower tier leagues, the World Juniors, Canada mainly ices a 19 year old roster. Most of this year's team is made up from 2009 draft and 2010 draft. So, guys from the lower tier leagues usually would be playing in the NCAA if the compete at the Junior tournament.

As for goalies, again, I just think we are seeing fewer top level athletes playing the position.

Top Canadian players are skaters, not goalies. You are also seeing goalies get pushed out of their team if the team finds a cheaper option.

That is what I said.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga

20 CHL players
2 NCAA players
0 BCHL
0 AJHL
0 SJHL
0 MJHL
0 SIJHL
0 NOJHL
0 OJHL
0 Central HL
0 LHJ
0 MHL

In addition-

That is what I said.

It doesn't take Bob McKenzie to realize that better players play at higher levels of hockey, and since Hockey Canada wants to win; they pick those players at said higher level.

More players get drafted from AAA than AA for the OHL draft, does this mean the OHL dislikes the AA leagues? Of course not, they want good hockey players regardless from where they're from.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with the breakdown of the Team Canada roster. Yes, the majority of kids play in the CHL, and the majority of high picks in the NHL are from the CHL (compared to Jr. A). Also, players (the high-end ones) generally only play in Jr. A leagues for their 16 and 17 year old years, at which ages they are very unlikely to make Canada's U-20 team.

As for the U-17s, I can only speak for Team Ontario, but there is always a couple Jr. A players that play on the team every year. Polesello, Altshuller, Festarini and Lessio are just a few the past couple of years. If you want to watch Jr. A players I'd suggest to watch the World Jr. A Challenge, where some of the best Jr. A players (from Ontario at least), play.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
It doesn't take Bob McKenzie to realize that better players play at higher levels of hockey, and since Hockey Canada wants to win; they pick those players at said higher level.

More players get drafted from AAA than AA for the OHL draft, does this mean the OHL dislikes the AA leagues? Of course not, they want good hockey players regardless from where they're from.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with the breakdown of the Team Canada roster. Yes, the majority of kids play in the CHL, and the majority of high picks in the NHL are from the CHL (compared to Jr. A). Also, players (the high-end ones) generally only play in Jr. A leagues for their 16 and 17 year old years, at which ages they are very unlikely to make Canada's U-20 team.

As for the U-17s, I can only speak for Team Ontario, but there is always a couple Jr. A players that play on the team every year. Polesello, Altshuller, Festarini and Lessio are just a few the past couple of years. If you want to watch Jr. A players I'd suggest to watch the World Jr. A Challenge, where some of the best Jr. A players (from Ontario at least), play.
Yes this is an excellent tourney....I have attended 4 out of 5 of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad