Canadian fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I love the US, I'm just not ignorant of all the reasons not to. I'm not condoning the booing. But, it's silly to think hockey has much to do with it.

I love your attempt at making this into something deeper than it is but your wrong. When asking about the hatred for the USA. The general consensus was we have been elevated to Russia hate levels and we are your biggest threat. I'm fairly certain they weren't worrying about an invasion or our immigration policies.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I remember Australian relatives of mine telling me about the disgusting behaviour of some American fans at the Sydney Olympics.

Every country has a fair share of arrogant and ignorant people.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I love the US, I'm just not ignorant of all the reasons not to. I'm not condoning the booing. But, it's silly to think hockey has much to do with it.

Okay, I misinterpreted. Sorry.

I think hockey has everything to do with the booing though. The US is threatening the one thing in which Canada could be dominant - hockey, and Canadian fans hate that. Perfectly understandable.

You really think there's a political dimension to it?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think hockey has everything to do with the booing though. The US is threatening the one thing in which Canada could be dominant - hockey, and Canadian fans hate that. Perfectly understandable.

That"s exactly what it is and to think many of those Canadian fans are fans of US based NHL teams:laugh:

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010

No, just please no political discussions. Let's just leave it at some obnoxious and annoying fans who were booing. Nothing more, nothing less.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Sounds to me like the OP is the one with the inferiority complex! 1 person boos the anthem and he's crying all over the place!

I only cheer for Canada. The only other country I don't hate is Finland and that's only because they have at times played a Canadian style game. I still wouldn't cheer for them because it's Canada or nobody for me. As far as booing the anthem, it's insulting and obnoxious no matter who does it and it's certainly not a Canadian thing, it's happened to us as well.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
How quickly we forget the booing of the Canadian anthem. Idiots exist, deal with it.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I don't think it is so much that Canadians view the U.S as their biggest threat, but rather they are the team they would least like to lose to.

member 30781

Oh, well, in fairness to OP, he did say it wasn't just one fan. A "whole bunch", apparently. So maybe more like 200 fans = all of Canada or even 5,000 fans = entirety of Canada. (being generous with my example numbers here).

Try 90% of the USA vs Finland game.

(that 90% happened to be cheering for Finland)

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005

We love Finnish hockey. As has been said already, they play the way we do. I'll cheer for Finland against any country that isn't my own.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Quick off-topic question - where is everyone getting these world junior avatars from? I'm still relatively new and can't figure it out. Thanks and sorry. ;)

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Canadians take hockey very seriously, to the point that they take the World Juniors very seriously as well. It's not so much that the very concept of jingoism is foreign to Americans, so much as most Americans don't get why Canadians get so worked up over a junior-age tournament.

Case in point: One in five/six Canadians tune in for some of these WJC games, producing a healthy windfall for TSN every year, while Americans wonder why anyone would boo a bunch of kids just playing a game. The extent to which these guys are essentially pros varies by viewership. For Canadians, it's an extension of their passion for the sport, while for most Americans, this is sort of Hockey Light. It's kind of a novelty, and people certainly don't watch in mammoth numbers.

It would be some kind of miracle if any game in this tourney attracted 100,000 American viewers, maybe 50,000.

northstarsforever

Jul 9, 2009
Plano TX by Rugby,ND
I remember Australian relatives of mine telling me about the disgusting behaviour of some American fans at the Sydney Olympics.

Every country has a fair share of arrogant and ignorant people.

This. We cheer against a specific team b/c they're our rival and a perceived threat to us (anyone boo Norway?). Rivalries make sports fun. As for booing any anthem :facepalm: (Canada's anthem is insanely badass BTW. Every-time I watch the clip at the Oilers game in the Stanley Cup final I get goosebumps)

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
I used to cheer for Canada when they weren't playing us. The WJC a few years ago when the entire stadium booed our anthem started to change that and the continued rooting against us since that time and the arrogance ("our game") has made Hockey Canada enemy number one in international hockey for me.

I root against Canada no matter who they are playing and their fans active hatred for us makes beating them SO much sweeter than it would otherwise be. See, I get to be extremely proud of our kids and at the same time think, "Suck it Canada!"

Now before anyone gets their undies in a bind, this is the same way I feel towards Minnesota and North Dakota as a Badger fan and how I used to feel towards the North Stars as a Blackhawks fan. It's just rivalries and sports to me wouldn't be worthwhile without them.

I have lots of Canadian friends that I skate with and we all get along fine although the U.S. born players in our group are of course better. Funny thing is that they were pretty quiet after last year's WJC and only seemed relieved, not happy after the Olympics.

One final thought... 1996 still ranks as one of my all time favorite sporting events. People were already celebrating the gold and then Tony Amonte did his thing. Wish I could find that game on dvd...

Hope we win again, in part just so Canada can grip for another year. :p:

Oh yeah and booing an anthem... C'mon. In Chicago, we always cheer (pretty decently no less) Oh Canada.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB

Well, excuse me. Let me tweak those numbers for you then. 14,000 people attended the USA/FIN game, and according to those who attended approximately half of the crowd was Canadian so that's 7,000. 90% of those fans were apparently hostile so that's 6,300. Yes, what a dreadful number indeed, 6,300 is clearly a very good number to use to judge a country of 34 million.

Give me a break. I dislike anthem-booing and classless fans as much as the next person but frankly people like that are always gonna exist and this isn't just limited to Canadians. St. Louis fans booed the Canadian anthem not too long ago, for example.

Quick off-topic question - where is everyone getting these world junior avatars from? I'm still relatively new and can't figure it out. Thanks and sorry. ;)

Here.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL

It could definitely be that. Probably a mix of both. Don't want to discuss details of politics (because that's just flame war inspiring) but, Canadians in general have hated almost everything the States have done for the past decade. Obama's started fixing a bit of it, blah blah blah :P

I just think that if Finland were threatening Canada it wouldn't be as bad. But with the general dislike for the US coupled with the beginning of a threat, it's very different.

OT: How great would it be if Finland started being a powerhouse? :P

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Whats the point of this thread? If you follow hockey at all you know why Canada doesnt cheer against the USA. Geographical neighbours and a big hockey rival.

Take me as an Oilers fan for example. Will I ever cheer for the Flames? No, I am an Oilers fan and don't like the Flames at all, so I will cheer for whoever they play against. I know Flames fans feel the same way and will never question why Flames fans dont cheer for the Oilers.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
I used to cheer for America when they weren't playing us. The WJC a few years ago when the entire stadium booed our anthem started to change that and the continued rooting against us since that time and the arrogance ("our game") has made USA hockey enemy number one in international hockey for me.

I root against America no matter who they are playing and their fans active hatred for us makes beating them SO much sweeter than it would otherwise be. See, I get to be extremely proud of our kids and at the same time think, "Suck it USA!"

Now before anyone gets their undies in a bind, this is the same way I feel towards Red Deer and The Hitmen as a Oilking fan and how I used to feel towards the Winnipeg as a Oilers fan. It's just rivalries and sports to me wouldn't be worthwhile without them.

I have lots of American friends that I skate with and we all get along fine although the Canadian born players in our group are of course better. Funny thing is that they were pretty quiet after last year's Olympics and only seemed relieved, not happy after the WJHC.

One final thought... 2002 still ranks as one of my all time favorite sporting events. People were already celebrating the gold and then Mario Lemieux did his thing. Wish I could find that game on dvd...

Hope we win again, in part just so America can grip for another year.

Oh yeah and booing an anthem... C'mon. In Edmonton, we always cheer (pretty decently no less) The Star Spangled Banner.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I hope Canadian fans continue to cheer for the opposing teams in Team USA games. I know I would be.

I have lots of American friends that I skate with and we all get along fine although the Canadian born players in our group are of course better.

:laugh:

Goes without saying, but funny nonetheless.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I used to cheer for America when they weren't playing us. The WJC a few years ago when the entire stadium booed our anthem started to change that and the continued rooting against us since that time and the arrogance ("our game") has made USA hockey enemy number one in international hockey for me.

I root against America no matter who they are playing and their fans active hatred for us makes beating them SO much sweeter than it would otherwise be. See, I get to be extremely proud of our kids and at the same time think, "Suck it USA!"

Now before anyone gets their undies in a bind, this is the same way I feel towards Red Deer and The Hitmen as a Oilking fan and how I used to feel towards the Winnipeg as a Oilers fan. It's just rivalries and sports to me wouldn't be worthwhile without them.

I have lots of American friends that I skate with and we all get along fine although the Canadian born players in our group are of course better. Funny thing is that they were pretty quiet after last year's Olympics and only seemed relieved, not happy after the WJHC.

One final thought... 2002 still ranks as one of my all time favorite sporting events. People were already celebrating the gold and then Mario Lemieux did his thing. Wish I could find that game on dvd...

Hope we win again, in part just so America can grip for another year.

Oh yeah and booing an anthem... C'mon. In Edmonton, we always cheer (pretty decently no less) The Star Spangled Banner.

Haha... touché

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
It goes back some time it first started when the jays did play atlanta in the world series some were up set hat the canadian flag was up side down.Then the booing of the canadian antehm in new york then the american one in montreal this little battle went on for some time.The american women hockey team stomping on the canadian flag did not go over well with some.Its not a inferority complex issue its the lacks of respect shown and yes its goes both ways.This is not about compeition most welcome that its about respect that is the main issue and yes as i said it goes both ways.Yes some canadian fans are bad just as some american fans are bad don't act as this is all canada its not i aslo like other have said support booing of the anthem that is bad real bad.
Yup. Calling a spade a spade, in general, Canadians have felt minimized by their southern neighbours for as long as they can recall. Margaret Atwood's comment from some time in the '80s: For Canadians, economically, socially, culturally, etc., our relationship with the States is akin to being in bed with an elephant. The influences are immense, you "feel" every move. Many Canadians aren't appreciative for it.

Can't blame America for having been successful and THE world leader in most aspects. Not sure it's so much an "inferiority complex" in as much as a resentment - not always subtle or latent - for having had Americanism seemingly thrust upon us via our own media outlets et al.

Regardless, it's now stupid on both sides of the border - for every Canadian being disrespectful about America or booing the 'Banner, there's an American doing the same about the red maple leaf.
Not really sure where to begin here..

You hear a boo and you automatically chalk it up to Canadians being jealous? Yet you say that Canadians have an inferiority complex. News Flash: America is not always well liked by everyone, for various reasons. I don't think I need to remind an American that. It is wrong to boo an anthem but it's not the first time nor the last.

Next you say that it's childish to hate on and boo an anthem then you follow up by saying you now despise Canada. Doesn't that make you the same as the people you are chirping? Maybe take a lesson out of your own book and 'grow up' and turn the other cheek.
It's an unfortunate truth. The growth, power, and enormous cultural and international influence referenced in my above post have resulted in all sorts of negative spin offs. Bottom line is that politics draw into the sporting arena. It isn't in Olympic boycotts alone. No offense to Americans, but I'm surprised each time I read of a US citizen seemingly mystified when they're treated disrespectfully in an international sporting arena. It might not be "right", but it "is".
Inferiority complex. It's big north of the 54th parallel. Lots of American jokes. I actually respect you guys.
Again, I disagree with the term "inferiority complex", though there certainly have been plenty of reasons throughout generations for Canadians to feel "lesser than" to America and Americans. 'Dunno - we do a hell of a lot of things right and screw up our fair share. Ditto for those south of the dividing latitude.

Speaking of which, dunno what warped geography YOU learned, but it's the 49th you're talking about. Not the 54th.
Hate to point out the elephant in the room. But, USA just isn't liked, and I'm not talking about hockey. There are quite a few very valid reasons to boo the US anthem. I don't, I live in the US, too.

Hate the fact that politics seeps into our wonderful sport, but it does.
Yup. Don't shoot the messenger, but by in large, Americans are seen as boastful, as having a chronic - and often undeserved - sense of entitlement, are largely insular and inconsiderate to the impact of their actions on the rest of the world, and as not travelling well. That said, I'm not comfortable with the claim that there are "valid reasons to boo the US anthem". That's crap.

But, if I'd heard John Gruden refer to the Saints as the "World Champions" one more time during MNF tonight, I was going to obtain his address and privilege him with a visit and a flaming bag of dog **** on his doorstep. C'mon... it doesn't take much to be the best at a sport that no one else plays - isn't the more accurate term "League Champions"? Certainly less antagonizing to others.

Again, when you're kicking ass and taking names - in a good way by means of economical and cultural growth - then you're liable to earn some enemies. People often envy the position that nation is in and become bitter.

D-oh! Maybe it's an inferiorty complex after all!!! :laugh: The Brits call it "Tall Poppy Syndrome", the process of wanting to undermine those who've done well. Alas, I shouldn't put it past Canadians in general to suffer from the occasional bout.

But fo sho, as many have already mentioned, much of the process has to do with the perception of equal competition. No one cheers for their greatest rival. That's what the Americans have become.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What's with this new-found hatred of the US? Once choice A-hole was booing during our national anthem. To show up at a game and root for any team that plays the US is nothing short of petty. Are they so threatened by us that they have to do things like that? Root for Finland? Last year they were even rooting for Russia. I think since we're their biggest competition they've come to despise us. It's really, really annoying. Talk about an inferiority complex.

This is not an attack on any Canadian fans on this board...I'm sure not everyone's like that, but I have gone from liking Canada to downright despising it. Grow the hell up and deal with having some competition for once. I guess if you do one thing well you had better be the best at it. Really the only word for it is petty, and it shows no degree of grace, civility, or sportsmanship. Awful showing by their fans.

Welcome to the big leagues son. You are now a part of the big group now of Canada, Russia and Sweden as legit powerhouses in hockey. With the States new developmental program now showing some progress in producing young players, you now have the priviledge to have us Canadian fans in your face. Deal with it. Before we never cared when we played you in the Juniors cause lets''s be honest we walked all over you. This isn't supposed to be a love-in! If you find it strange that we hate you as a hockey country then you yourself have issues. It's called a rivalry for a reason but now it's even bigger. Grow a pair. It's not an inferiority complex at all, I think as Canadians we would actually welcome a little competition, I'm fine in winning 5 of every 6 years. Feeling inferior has nothing to do with it. it's more of...how should I put it...The big hockey brother reminding the little one of we're still here, you might've won last year but we're still here and we're after what's ours. Let me remind you that Canada has two streaks of 5 gold medals in a row. Definitely nothing to sneeze at. It's our game, we expect to win at it, if you don't like it, then don't watch, or don't go. In the mean time you will hear from us. Whether it's selling out HSBC arena with a sea of red and white or us cheering for you to lose. I cannot fathom any Canadian cheering for the Americans it's just not in us. I personally can't, I hope you guys get smoked in every game. It would be like Finland cheering for Sweden or vice versa, it just doesn't happen.

And you totally stereotype us as a country as being good in one thing so we might as well be great at it?? Please stop trying to understand why we hate you as a hockey country and worry more about getting some noise out of your crowds. Quite embarassing to host a tournament and having the crowd sit on their hands. I thought I was watching a Leaf game with all the sushi eatting suits in the platinums when I watched the Finn-USA game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->