Canadian fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr199435

Oct 25, 2010
What's with this new-found hatred of the US? Once choice A-hole was booing during our national anthem. To show up at a game and root for any team that plays the US is nothing short of petty. Are they so threatened by us that they have to do things like that? Root for Finland? Last year they were even rooting for Russia. I think since we're their biggest competition they've come to despise us. It's really, really annoying. Talk about an inferiority complex.

This is not an attack on any Canadian fans on this board...I'm sure not everyone's like that, but I have gone from liking Canada to downright despising it. Grow the hell up and deal with having some competition for once. I guess if you do one thing well you had better be the best at it. Really the only word for it is petty, and it shows no degree of grace, civility, or sportsmanship. Awful showing by their fans.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Take it as a compliment. Canadian fans cheer for whoever is against their biggest threat.
Booing any national anthem is wrong but to despise fans because they ddin't cheer for your team is pretty lame. Besides, pretty sure I saw numerous USA fans cheer at Russian goals yesterday.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
What's with this new-found hatred of the US? Once choice A-hole was booing during our national anthem. To show up at a game and root for any team that plays the US is nothing short of petty. Are they so threatened by us that they have to do things like that? Root for Finland? Last year they were even rooting for Russia. I think since we're their biggest competition they've come to despise us. It's really, really annoying. Talk about an inferiority complex.

This is not an attack on any Canadian fans on this board...I'm sure not everyone's like that, but I have gone from liking Canada to downright despising it. Grow the hell up and deal with having some competition for once. I guess if you do one thing well you had better be the best at it. Really the only word for it is petty, and it shows no degree of grace, civility, or sportsmanship. Awful showing by their fans.

Maybe that one person had a similar experience with an American fan?
It doesn't make it right though, same as you voicing your beef here could solicit similar responses at future games/events.
It can become an infinite loop of general crassiness.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
disagree with booing the anthem, but in hockey USA and Russia are both huge rivals for us. We will boo your team and cheer against you. The only hockey power we're ambivalent towards is sweden.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Okay, first thing I want to say is that booing a nation's anthem is a discraceful act. On this subject we agree. However, I think cheering for the opposition of your cheif rival is just good clean fun. Remember this is just sports after all. People pay their money and can pick their own allegiences or teams to hate on. Canada now does see the U.S. as it's chief rival and as was said in an earlier post, you should take it as a compliment. A decade ago we would have paid the U.S. no heed. Don't be offended by that statement as that's precisely what the States does to Canada every day about every other subject other than hockey.

Pitlick*

wow, if someone changes their mind about the people of a nation because of ONE idiot, the world is in some serious trouble.

Booing an anthem is rude, and shows the lack of class of that individual.

That is all.

And like others said, take the animosity toward the US team as a complement. Canadians see the US team as their biggest threat, not Russia anymore, that's why our fans hate your teams, not Russia's anymore.

If the US team was marginal every year like Slovakia, we'd probably cheer for you.

nyr199435

Oct 25, 2010
Fair points. I'm not trying to start a squabble or anything, I'm just wondering what that's about. I mean, Russia is the last team I thought I'd ever see Canadians rooting for, but sure enough they were doing it when they played the US last year. I'm not asking them to cheer for the US, and by all means cheer for Canada when they play against the US, who wouldn't cheer for their country's team? But showing up at a game your country isn't even playing in simply for the sake of booing your biggest threat? That doesn't strike anyone else as a little silly?

I know a few select fans aren't representative of a whole fan-base. Hell, I know a Flyers fan who is actually quite respectful and quiet when he's at the Garden, which is a miracle given Philly fans' reputation. I'm just wondering what this new fad is about among Canadian fans. I used to have no problem with Team Canada, even at the Olympics I figured if the US is gonna lose why not root for our neighbors? But they've managed to turn me in to an anti-fan.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
wow, if someone changes their mind about the people of a nation because of ONE idiot, the world is in some serious trouble.

Booing an anthem is rude, and shows the lack of class of that individual.

That is all.

And like others said, take the animosity toward the US team as a complement. Canadians see the US team as their biggest threat, not Russia anymore, that's why our fans hate your teams, not Russia's anymore.

If the US team was marginal every year like Slovakia, we'd probably cheer for you.

agreed, im sure you could find hundreds of hillbillies down south that would do the same thing yet show such patriotism for the USA

Every place has these kind of people...wake up

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
disagree with booing the anthem, but in hockey USA and Russia are both huge rivals for us. We will boo your team and cheer against you. The only hockey power we're ambivalent towards is sweden.

Speak for yourself. I want to beat Sweden just as badly as any other team.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
IMHO....if this bozo booed the American anthem with me close by he would have been told to Shut &*^*(&^ Up!

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Fair points. I'm not trying to start a squabble or anything, I'm just wondering what that's about. I mean, Russia is the last team I thought I'd ever see Canadians rooting for, but sure enough they were doing it when they played the US last year. I'm not asking them to cheer for the US, and by all means cheer for Canada when they play against the US, who wouldn't cheer for their country's team? But showing up at a game your country isn't even playing in simply for the sake of booing your biggest threat? That doesn't strike anyone else as a little silly?

I know a few select fans aren't representative of a whole fan-base. Hell, I know a Flyers fan who is actually quite respectful and quiet when he's at the Garden, which is a miracle given Philly fans' reputation. I'm just wondering what this new fad is about among Canadian fans. I used to have no problem with Team Canada, even at the Olympics I figured if the US is gonna lose why not root for our neighbors? But they've managed to turn me in to an anti-fan.

It was probably a few drunk, overzealous fans that you saw. I can assure you not every Canadian hockey fan boos the Star Spangled Banner, which of course you're already aware of. Personally I would probably cheer for the USA over Russia.

nyr199435

Oct 25, 2010
Yeah, people keep saying if one fan changed my opinion it's an extreme overreaction. They have to understand that it's not ONE FAN. I first noticed this last year when the US played Russia. It's a whole bunch of fans. And I'm not saying I'm never visiting Canada, and will spit on any Canadians I see. I'm saying I've gone from half-rooting for Team Canada to hoping they lose at every turn. Nothing against the country, just the hockey fans.

I mean, do the people realize they're booing 18 year olds? These are kids, and fans show up at the games literally just to boo and root for whoever plays the US. However you want to spin it: I'm overreacting, it's just good-natured competition, it's not the whole fanbase, etc. it doesn't change the fact that there's a whole lot of people doing it, and doing it to kids for no reason other than they feel threatened.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

It goes back some time it first started when the jays did play atlanta in the world series some were up set hat the canadian flag was up side down.Then the booing of the canadian antehm in new york then the american one in montreal this little battle went on for some time.The american women hockey team stomping on the canadian flag did not go over well with some.Its not a inferority complex issue its the lacks of respect shown and yes its goes both ways.This is not about compeition most welcome that its about respect that is the main issue and yes as i said it goes both ways.Yes some canadian fans are bad just as some american fans are bad don't act as this is all canada its not i aslo like other have said support booing of the anthem that is bad real bad.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Fair points. I'm not trying to start a squabble or anything, I'm just wondering what that's about. I mean, Russia is the last team I thought I'd ever see Canadians rooting for, but sure enough they were doing it when they played the US last year. I'm not asking them to cheer for the US, and by all means cheer for Canada when they play against the US, who wouldn't cheer for their country's team? But showing up at a game your country isn't even playing in simply for the sake of booing your biggest threat? That doesn't strike anyone else as a little silly?I know a few select fans aren't representative of a whole fan-base. Hell, I know a Flyers fan who is actually quite respectful and quiet when he's at the Garden, which is a miracle given Philly fans' reputation. I'm just wondering what this new fad is about among Canadian fans. I used to have no problem with Team Canada, even at the Olympics I figured if the US is gonna lose why not root for our neighbors? But they've managed to turn me in to an anti-fan.

There's a good chance these people bought packs of tickets. Or decided hell, if I'm driving there for the early game, why not stick around and watch another good team play in the evening.
You're really stretching it here. It looks like your looking for an excuse to dislike Canada.
And even though we cheer against the US. I know I personally would rather gold go to a North American country over a European country.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia

Not really sure where to begin here..

You hear a boo and you automatically chalk it up to Canadians being jealous? Yet you say that Canadians have an inferiority complex. News Flash: America is not always well liked by everyone, for various reasons. I don't think I need to remind an American that. It is wrong to boo an anthem but it's not the first time nor the last.

Next you say that it's childish to hate on and boo an anthem then you follow up by saying you now despise Canada. Doesn't that make you the same as the people you are chirping? Maybe take a lesson out of your own book and 'grow up' and turn the other cheek.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Speak for yourself. I want to beat Sweden just as badly as any other team.

among the general hockey-fan population, sweden doesnt seem to invoke the same hatred that team USA or team Russia invoke.

MJALLTHEWAY

Oct 10, 2008

Interesting. So are the numbers 14 and 9; the amount of gold medals won by Canada and the United States at the Vancouver Games. Although I wouldn't expect you to understand things as abstract as numbers; judging by your scores on the PISA OECD rankings.

http://www.pisa.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/12/46643496.pdf

:thumbu:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd never boo another team's anthem, but I'll sure boo the hell out of Team USA at a hockey tournament.

Fans generally boo their biggest rivals. Not really a big deal.

Murphy9

Nov 8, 2010
St.Louis
Theres not even much of a difference between Americans and Canadians.We both love sports,most speak the same language,watch the same movies,listen to the same music.I dont think there are any countries as similar as ours.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Theres not even much of a difference between Americans and Canadians.We both love sports,most speak the same language,watch the same movies,listen to the same music.I dont think there are any countries as similar as ours.

That is part of the reason there is a bit of bitterness between some fans.Look at it this was brothers don't alwas get along they fight don't agree it much the same with canada and the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad