Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
And there were tons of people (idiotically) saying the Leafs would miss the playoffs. I had a guy literally bet me the Leafs would miss.

Most fans are just dumb and say dumb things.
I had Toronto and Edmonton battling for first with WPG and Vancouver in 3 and 4. Didn’t think the Habs would make it so I will own that one. I went 3/4 in the right order though (so far).

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
So, if Toronto doesn't at least make the cup finals, that has to be considered a massive failure right? Everything out there I'm reading has the expectation being for this team to make a serious cup run. If they lose in round 1 or 2 what will happen? They going to blow the team up? Going to have some serious questions to answer if they don't go deep.
I fully expect them to win atleast 1 round. But every year shit happens in the nhl. Tampa being swept by Columbus being one of the biggest upsets in recent memory. What happens if they lose? Probably nothing much but I guess it depends how they lose. The past few years they've been mostly outmuscled and they addressed that this year. If they lose to great goaltending I dont expect much change. Just whinny fans.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Yes, I'd rather get them over Toronto. McDavid & Draisaitl are obviously deadly and we could be swept if they play their best, but I think we have a better chance against Edmonton instead of the Leafs.
Fair.
I'd love to see the Habs KO the Oilers and setup a potential barn burner of a second round for Canadian Div. Bragging rights tbh.

Should be a riot

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why Vegas,
Colorado is better than any team in the North atm.
The truth is that there is a weak path to the semis in the playoffs literally every single year. Some team benefits from it. Next year it will likely be out west. This year it is arguably in the North(we actually have no way to quantify it this year). For whatever reason it is being whined about a lot more this year in years past. Do the Leafs have a more open path to the third round this year then in past years? Absolutely. Do I care? Not even a little bit. We will be back to playing a top 5 team in the league in the first round next year so everyone else can suck it up.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah sorry, but I'm not sure there are any Leafs fans out there saying the expectation is to win "at least a round or 2." That would be an enormous failure for a team with a record like this. If they lose in the 3rd round, 7 games in a close series, I can see that being ok. To not make it out of the North division in playoffs means some very tough questions need answering.

There is no scenario I can see where it would acceptable for the Leafs to not make it out the North division. Very big decisions to make if that happens.

Not really, there's too many factors outside of your control. Do you blow a team up if you suffer key injuries? The goal posts just keep moving, at the start of the season we were told we wouldn't win the division. When we started to dominate the division and didn't lose first place the narrative switched to the North is bad and Toronto will get swept once they get out of it. Now it's unless they reach the cup final they need to blow up the team? At some point it just becomes ridiculous.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
If they can't make it out a weak North division then I do think they need to consider moving out a core piece. Kind of sounds to me like Leafs fans are trying to walk back the high expectations they've set for themselves.

Your first problem is thinking what fans think has any baring on what the team will do. Your second problem is trying to pretend any statement isn't subject to change based on what actually occurs.

If the Leafs lose round 1 and have sub .800 goaltending, it'd be hard to make the case that they should blow it vs finding competent goal tending. If Matthews/Tavares/Marner all get taken out game 1 from 3 dirty suspension hits, it would also be hard to make a case to do much of anything different. If they somehow get outplayed or embarrassed by any team in the North, than yea, time to consider bigger moves.

We won't know until we see what happens though so this exercise is a waste of time. It seems like a desperate attempt to get an early victory lap in before a single playoff game is even played.

Reactions: leaffaninvancouver

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So where are all the people who swore the Oilers would be last or second last in the division? Your crow is ready and waiting for consumption!
Oiler fans should not be so boastful IMO until they can prove they are not the McDavids. You were gifted the greatest player in the world - enjoy it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You are entitled to your opinion no matter how dumb it may be. I can see why a Hab fan would be on board for the Leafs getting rid of Matthews or Marner though. I will say it again for you, there are high expectations for this team. They aren't blowing this team up. Carry on.

...But what if they fail, again, to meet these high expectations?

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
They're failing at that though... (Well, apparently. Foligno)

Just seems to me like his back was bothering him, they shut him down for the game and possibly the remainder of the season for good measure It was the right call. How do you predict a back spasm? You don't. It just happens.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You are entitled to your opinion no matter how dumb it may be. I can see why a Hab fan would be on board for the Leafs getting rid of Matthews or Marner though. I will say it again for you, there are high expectations for this team. They aren't blowing this team up. Carry on.

Nobody is getting "rid" of anyone. The idea is always to improve the team. If the Leafs fail again in the playoffs you have to consider that the team's core has a problem. If they can't get out the North then there's a serious problem.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Not really, there's too many factors outside of your control. Do you blow a team up if you suffer key injuries? The goal posts just keep moving, at the start of the season we were told we wouldn't win the division. When we started to dominate the division and didn't lose first place the narrative switched to the North is bad and Toronto will get swept once they get out of it. Now it's unless they reach the cup final they need to blow up the team? At some point it just becomes ridiculous.

What does the start of the season have to do with anyone? I am talking about right now. Like you said, the Leafs dominated the division. Now it feels like you're trying to convince yourself that a first or 2nd round loss is probably just fine. It's not. There are expectation here. A loss like that for the Leafs, at this point, is a major choke.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Nobody is getting "rid" of anyone. The idea is always to improve the team. If the Leafs fail again in the playoffs you have to consider that the team's core has a problem. If they can't get out the North then there's a serious problem.

Not really, it depends on why they were eliminated.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
What does the start of the season have to do with anyone? I am talking about right now. Like you said, the Leafs dominated the division. Now it feels like you're trying to convince yourself that a first or 2nd round loss is probably just fine. It's not. There are expectation here. A loss like that for the Leafs, at this point, is a major choke.

It has to do with the sliding goalposts. It has nothing to do with how I feel about the team. It’s about how a team is told they are bad, play in a bad division, there results should come with an asterisk etc.

Oh but if you don’t make the finals it’s a choke job? At some point it’s just ridiculous.

Reactions: nobody
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad