On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Reactions: SnizzMitch

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Is there any chance Toronto can hang up a banner that says "Canadian" or "Canadian Division Champions"

Here's hoping they gotta call it Scotia North on the banner. ;) haha
You guys are hilarious. You say we are gonna hang a banner for this. And then you mock us as if we were the ones who suggested it.
You have spent most of the season wanting to win the division as much as we have. And now that we are likely going to you are getting all salty cause we are happy about it. Like you guys wouldn’t be just as happy if the roles were reversed.

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
You guys are hilarious. You say we are gonna hang a banner for this. And then you mock us as if we were the ones who suggested it.
You have spent most of the season wanting to win the division as much as we have. And now that we are likely going to you are getting all salty cause we are happy about it. Like you guys wouldn’t be just as happy if the roles were reversed.

I just hope they don't put Canadian Division or Canadian Champions on the banner, haha.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Interesting observation by the respected Ian Macintyre of Vancouver on their post game show.

He said when he watches McDavid/Drai compared to Marner/Matthews, he sees less risk in their games and they look more sound defensively.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Lucky for Winnipeg that MTL didn't win in regulation last night so they keep the tiebreaker.

Down to the last 5 games and we need 1 more point than them, although they've got an easier schedule for sure.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Interesting observation by the respected Ian Macintyre of Vancouver on their post game show.

He said when he watches McDavid/Drai compared to Marner/Matthews, he sees less risk in their games and they look more sound defensively.
An interesting take. In years past I could get on board but not sure I agree with that this year. Matthews and Marner have been rock solid 5v5. But when you’re compared to the best player in the game and his running mate you don’t exactly
Win many arguments there do you?

Most elite players need to take risks every once in a while. No risk, no reward. The balancing act becomes easier with maturity. How many young kids come into the league as offensive stars and lose their way from a coach not allowing them to be creative whatsoever. You watch a kid go from creative and explosive to someone thinking the game too much. Obviously too far either way is a problem, but lots of players are ruined from just that.

Reactions: Paddy17

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
I want the Leafs to play the Jets. Got some actual emotion going on in that series. I almost fell asleep tonight.

Yeah, the Leafs were sleep walking through that whole game. I think they're on auto-pilot right now and are having a hard time getting up for the rest of their games

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Lucky for Winnipeg that MTL didn't win in regulation last night so they keep the tiebreaker.

Down to the last 5 games and we need 1 more point than them, although they've got an easier schedule for sure.

You mean lucky for Edmonton, the Oilers have owned the Jets while Montreal has the Oilers. Both Winnipeg and Montreal would be better off switching places.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You mean lucky for Edmonton, the Oilers have owned the Jets while Montreal has the Oilers. Both Winnipeg and Montreal would be better off switching places.
True. It does make the dance shuffle between Montreal and Winnipeg look very... convenient. I can't believe Montreal/Toronto might not happen.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Vancouver analyst craps on Toronto? Who would have thought?

McDavid/Draisaitl 5v5 defensive stats:
Ozone faceoffs: 64.95%
Corsi Against/60: 54.81
Shots Against/60: 28.37
Scoring Chances Against/60: 28.89
High Danger Chances Against/60: 10.16
Expected Goals Against/60: 2.34

Marner/Matthews 5v5 defensive stats:
Ozone faceoffs: 57.75%
Corsi Against/60: 46.81
Shots Against/60: 24.5
Scoring Chances Against/60: 21.51
High Danger Chances Against/60: 7.38
Expected Goals Against/60: 1.78

The defensive gulf between these two pairings is so massive, one could only conclude an analyst consumed by bias. Any objective observer who watches them on a regular basis can see this but such is the state of modern sports journalism and those who are ready to consume what they put out.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019

Would we really be happy with a Canadian cup championship or care that much though? Sounds like the presidents trophy, a cool achievement but ultimately meaningless in terms of further playoff success. This is our best shot to win the cup, I honestly think not beating any team outside of the north in the playoffs is a complete bust, since next year when/if we return to normalcy the regular season + playoffs will be tougher again.

Our team has been good enough to compete for first in the Canada cup since our 2016-17 season.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Looks like the Oilers will be the only Canadian team in the top 10 of the league for

GF/G
GA/G
PP%
PK%

Not too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad