Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
So we'd become what the Oilers are now?
Pretty much, we are holding out for some of our recent draft picks to develop and build internally, as frustrating as that may be. So for now it’s plugging holes and jumping on quality free agents

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think the most likely scenario is that McDavid ends up somewhere not named Toronto to play out his contract. And once he's a UFA, he'll come home and sign his retirement deal similar to JT did 3 years ago. Matthews and Marner will get paid and will stay as Leafs and we'll have $$ left from having the Nylander and JT contracts expire by that time so money won't be an issue. Icing McDavid, Matthews, Marner (might combine for $45 mil in cap between the 3) with a bunch of quality young players/ veterans will allow the Leafs to stay competitive for a fairly long time too. They just need to continue to draft and develop well and so far by the look of things, that's not an issue whatsoever. We have drafted a ton of great young pieces who should make their way to the NHL and be on ELCs/ cheap 2nd deals in 5-6 years' time. I really hope we can hit a homerun or 2 with a prospect and that should help really solidify the top 6 and D.
Matthews going home to Arizona is just as if not more likely than McDavid going home.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Matthews going home to Arizona is just as if not more likely than McDavid going home.

Lmao delusional.

No one leaves a good team in Toronto. It’s not even wishful thinking, it’s straight up delusional.

Matthews knows he has a very real shot to be the greatest Leaf ever. He’s not gonna throw that legacy away.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lmao delusional.

No one leaves a good team in Toronto. It’s not even wishful thinking, it’s straight up delusional.

Matthews knows he has a very real shot to be the greatest Leaf ever. He’s not gonna throw that legacy away.

It’s not that farfetched that Matthews would return to Arizona.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lmao delusional.

Pot meet kettle.

So it is completely fine in your esteemed opinion that McDavid will simply sign as a UFA with his hometown team BUT delusional to think Matthews has any interest in signing for his hometown team?

As for legacy just a wee bit premature on your part. Maybe Matthews leads the Leafs to a Cup in one of the next few seasons. That would seal his legacy as a Leaf regardless if he signs elsewhere as a UFA. And Matthews may just feel a very strong pull to the desert with the chance to lead that team out of the darkness - grew up as a fan, hispanic heritage, hispanic owner (that will offer him the max salary)...

Reactions: snowkiddin

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Pot meet kettle.

So it is completely fine in your esteemed opinion that McDavid will simply sign as a UFA with his hometown team BUT delusional to think Matthews has any interest in signing for his hometown team?

As for legacy just a wee bit premature on your part. Maybe Matthews leads the Leafs to a Cup in one of the next few seasons. That would seal his legacy as a Leaf regardless if he signs elsewhere as a UFA. And Matthews may just feel a very strong pull to the desert with the chance to lead that team out of the darkness - grew up as a fan, hispanic heritage, hispanic owner (that will offer him the max salary)...

What money does Arizona have to throw at any big named players? Also the way things are going with that franchise, it's more likely that Arizona gets moved elsewhere than Matthews going home. :laugh::laugh:

As for the McDavid coming home vs Matthews going home. One guy is enamoured by the entire city and the largest fanbase in the NHL while having pretty good success playing for a team with competent management and coaching. Unlike McDavid, Matthews has a damn good team around him and great depth where he doesn't have to always be "ON" to give the team a chance to win. McDavid right now is a 2 man team with Draisaitl. If either of those guys gets injured, the Oilers are f***ed. If they both get injured, the Oilers are a lottery team. Leafs without their top 2 players are still a mediocre/ half decent team.

Honestly, it's not even remotely comparable the situations McDavid and Matthews have and will have. Matthews would be stupid to leave the Leafs especially after the money and spotlight he's getting. McDavid would be stupid to stay with the Oilers, especially with the lack of support he's been given.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Pot meet kettle.

Lmao please find where I said McDavid was signing in Toronto.

Pot meet kettle only works if you’re not making things up.

Matthews is on pace to be the leading goal scorer and point scorer in a leafs history. He’ll have the biggest trophy case by the time he’s done and he plays on a cup favourite.

If he wins the cup there’s no question he’ll go down as the greatest. But name one star who won a cup and left?

What’s more likely the start player on a good team stays? Or the star player on a team that has nothing else stays?

Toronto isn’t like the Alberta or Manitoba teams. It’s a nice city where people actually want to live. We don’t lose any player we want to keep.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
:laugh:

it’ll be great to revisit this when Matthews is a UFA

I don't think we're going to get to that point. I highly doubt he'll be "testing free agency". McDavid on the other hand most definitely will. Similar to what Johnny Gaudreau is about to do.

Reactions: Mats13

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
What money does Arizona have to throw at any big named players? Also the way things are going with that franchise, it's more likely that Arizona gets moved elsewhere than Matthews going home. :laugh::laugh:

As for the McDavid coming home vs Matthews going home. One guy is enamoured by the entire city and the largest fanbase in the NHL while having pretty good success playing for a team with competent management and coaching. Unlike McDavid, Matthews has a damn good team around him and great depth where he doesn't have to always be "ON" to give the team a chance to win. McDavid right now is a 2 man team with Draisaitl. If either of those guys gets injured, the Oilers are f***ed. If they both get injured, the Oilers are a lottery team. Leafs without their top 2 players are still a mediocre/ half decent team.

Honestly, it's not even remotely comparable the situations McDavid and Matthews have and will have. Matthews would be stupid to leave the Leafs especially after the money and spotlight he's getting. McDavid would be stupid to stay with the Oilers, especially with the lack of support he's been given.

:popcorn::popcorn:

They have to cling to something right :laugh:

It kills them that the Leafs are this good and that we have Matthews

All they have is clinging to this dream that he’ll leave :laugh:

If you’ve ever seen any interview where he talks about Toronto or the Leafs, you know he’s never leaving.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think we're going to get to that point. I highly doubt he'll be "testing free agency". McDavid on the other hand most definitely will. Similar to what Johnny Gaudreau is about to do.

Lmao man you and Mats are sure on one today. Someone piss in your cereal?

Johnny can do whatever the **** he wants, much like Auston can.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
They have to cling to something right :laugh:

It kills them that the Leafs are this good and that we have Matthews

All they have is clinging to this dream that he’ll leave :laugh:

If you’ve ever seen any interview where he talks about Toronto or the Leafs, you know he’s never leaving.

I've never once seen Matthews frustrated or down in an interview where I felt hopeless or terrible for him. Even after poor playoff performances. McDavid has had atleast 20-30 pressers where it looked like he wanted to cry or he just looked so defeated because his team was basically hanging him out to dry. It's not even f***ing comparable. John Tavares went through similar shit in NY and as we all saw, he bolted the first chance he got after making the mistake of signing a long-term deal. Lucky for Isles, they found a great coach and salvaged a situation that could've turned really bad. I don't know if the Oilers management has that much brain power to do the same when McDavid inevitably comes home.

Reactions: Mats13

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Sure, just like when he signed a 5 year deal to get to UFA sooner than later so he can choose where he wants to go.

Spoken like someone with no understanding of what happened.

Matthews wanted 8 years. Dubas went 5 to lower the cap hit so the Leafs could go for cups for 5 years.

At least educate yourself on the situation before making yourself look like a fool.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Sure, just like when he signed a 5 year deal to get to UFA sooner than later so he can choose where he wants to go.

Or hear me out on this. He took a 5 year deal so he can be in the middle of his prime after putting up stellar seasons and can cash in on a much larger contract. AND he would still be young enough to have the opportunity to cash in on a big 3rd contract as well. Matthews' agent is a smart guy. Bobby Orr on the other hand looks like an idiot handing his prized possession to a pathetic organization.

Also, Dubas structured all the deals to ensure that the Leafs aren't in cap hell for 3-5 years at a time just in case one of these contracts flops. I don't think it's really a coincidence that the Leafs will have every major contract expire before McDavid becomes a UFA. Leafs are a player in the 2026 McDavid sweepstakes. Get your popcorn ready.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Spoken like someone with no understanding of what happened.

Matthews wanted 8 years. Dubas went 5 to lower the cap hit so the Leafs could go for cups for 5 years.

At least educate yourself on the situation before making yourself look like a fool.

Sounds like someone who wanted more $’s because of more term and you couldn’t give it because of your cap constraints.

Him being a Leaf for life isn’t set in stone. But sure, YOU can think that. I won’t step in your way.

You must be fun at parties

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Lmao delusional.

He for sure does have that shot at being the best leaf ever. But unlike you or I, his favourite team growing up wasn’t Toronto. It’s not as enticing to someone who isn’t biased towards the leafs. That said, I do think he re signs in Toronto.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Lmao delusional.

Toronto has gotten just as far as Edmonton so far in the playoffs in the Matthews and McDavid era, so it’s a bit rich to suggest McDavid is on his way out because Edmonton isn’t a good team but Matthews won’t be leaving Toronto with all of their success.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Or hear me out on this. He took a 5 year deal so he can be in the middle of his prime after putting up stellar seasons and can cash in on a much larger contract. AND he would still be young enough to have the opportunity to cash in on a big 3rd contract as well. Matthews' agent is a smart guy. Bobby Orr on the other hand looks like an idiot handing his prized possession to a pathetic organization.

Hear me out on this:

Matthews can choose to go to 31 other teams IF he wants to. You just never know with the younger stars nowadays. Doesn’t seem like loyalty is top priority anymore.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He for sure does have that shot at being the best leaf ever. But unlike you or I, his favourite team growing up wasn’t Toronto. It’s not as enticing to someone who isn’t biased towards the leafs. That said, I do think he re signs in Toronto.

Now that’s a fair take. Nice to see some sanity in here.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Lmao man you and Mats are sure on one today. Someone piss in your cereal?

Johnny can do whatever the **** he wants, much like Auston can.

Johnny is the best offensive player you've had since Iggy. He was your prized possession and your team's "future" up until probably 2 years ago. Since then, the Flames have Flamed out hard and now your team has no real identity. You have a big money goalie who was trash this year. You have Tkachuk and Lindholm as the only 2 reliable players. You have Lucic, Monahan to big-money deals and both of those guys provide a whole lot of nothing, and to top things off, there are no major players coming up the pipeline. There's a reason why Johnny Hockey probably doesn't want much to do with the Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad