Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think it's ridiculous how some Leaf fans hold on to this nonsense for 28 years rather than admit the possibility that the 1992-93 Leafs weren't quite good enough. Get over it and move on. It's only hockey -- an entertainment property. That's it.

Last edited:

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Covid Cup?

*COVID Cup*...you know, like asterisks. All the things that couldn't/wouldn't happen in a normal year but are allowable today because of the pandemic.

In any other year, Montreal couldn't meet up with Edmonton in the second round...or play any other team west of the Great Lakes. It's only possible this year because of the complete bastardization of divisions and scheduling due to COVID.

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
It’s embarrassing that this thread devolved into leafs fans still reminiscing their ‘93 conference finals L. I get it though, as a franchise there hasn’t been too much to cheer for so you got to hold on to whatever is there.

9126D3B1-AD87-48D4-B40D-ED13639752FA.gif

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It’s embarrassing that this thread devolved into leafs fans still reminiscing their ‘93 conference finals L. I get it though, as a franchise there hasn’t been too much to cheer for so you got to hold on to whatever is there.

View attachment 433738
I think that it turned into that because if not for the missed call 1993 would be the last time Montreal and Toronto met in the playoffs instead of 1979.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
I think that it turned into that because if not for the missed call 1993 would be the last time Montreal and Toronto met in the playoffs instead of 1979.
I would agree but that series in ‘93 vs the Kings has been a thing that still upsets many leafs fans. Been reading about leafs fans griping about that series for years.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The guy I'm responding to literally says, "a purposeful missed call". What do you call an unproven theory that a ref purposely missed a call?

My contention is he saw the infraction and chose not to call it. I gave reasons why (scared to decide a series involving taking the best player in the league of it). What am I supposed to call it? An accident? I say it was purposeful and not a conspiracy theory. Doesn't mean I'm right either but that's my opinion after having seen it live (on TV), analyzed it to death, listened to Fraser's lame reasoning and thought about it on and off for 28 years.

Reactions: Mats13

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think it's ridiculous how some Leaf fans hold on to this nonsense for 28 years rather than admit the possibility that the 1992-93 Leafs weren't quite good enough. Get over and move on. It's only hockey -- an entertainment property. That's it.
Everyone admits that possibility.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Difference is Leafs have their entire team still. If they were actually good enough to win that series, a missed call would not have not impacted them this much. Tied game in game 6 + an entire game 7.

Hey, me again, the guy you call a conspiracy theorist. If you scroll back a page or two you would see that I already said this. The Leafs have no excuses. They still had two chances to close it out and didn't get it done. That is completely removed from the fact they would have had overwhelming odds of winning that game had Fraser not choked. Sorry, I'm not a very good conspiracy theorist :(

Reactions: Wats

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
So basically, you want people to sit and accept that the ref saw the penalty on future hall of famer Gilmour but he purposely didn't call it because it's Wayne.

No, I could care less what you think. I'm not arguing with you over that; I'm arguing that it's not a conspiracy theory. It's an opinion that differs from yours.

So had it been anyone one else he'd have called a penalty? And supposedly this isn't a conspiracy theory because everyone should know stars are treated differently?

I mean you guys are free to think whatever but at the same time rest of the people are free to mock it.

Feel free. I'll continue to mock your bad interpretation of what a conspiracy theory is.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Anyone know how to bump the thread where we were predicting the standings? I couldn’t find it, it’s time to embarrass some ppl lol.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I would agree but that series in ‘93 vs the Kings has been a thing that still upsets many leafs fans. Been reading about leafs fans griping about that series for years.

In fairness to me and others, it's kept alive by more than just Leafs fans. Seems every couple of years a sports columnist brings it up or Fraser himself of course. I didn't bring it up BTW; I just jumped in to correct a few false assumptions by the haters.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
In fairness to me and others, it's kept alive by more than just Leafs fans. Seems every couple of years a sports columnist brings it up or Fraser himself of course. I didn't bring it up BTW; I just jumped in to correct a few false assumptions by the haters.
It is just a memory. Leaf fans remember Gilmour's 2OT goal Clark's scrap with McSorely equally well.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That's because Leaf fans felt cheated, they went through all the bad years in the 80's and finally they had a team where many players were having career years and if not for a very controversial missed call they may have won it all. Let's hope they can do it this year, I'm not betting on anything.

Reactions: The Podium

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So basically, you want people to sit and accept that the ref saw the penalty on future hall of famer Gilmour but he purposely didn't call it because it's Wayne. So had it been anyone one else he'd have called a penalty? And supposedly this isn't a conspiracy theory because everyone should know stars are treated differently?

I mean you guys are free to think whatever but at the same time rest of the people are free to mock it.

It's not a conspiracy. It's how the league has been run forever, just like game management. I've been watching through 5 decades and it's always been there. You can ignore it all you like, doesn't make it go away.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No other team in the league goes on and on about a missed penalty 30 years ago. It’s time to let it go.
Every team has cases like that, but you never hear of them.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No other team in the league goes on and on about a missed penalty 30 years ago. It’s time to let it go.
Every team has cases like that, but you never hear of them.

Foot in the crease

Puck was in, 2004

2011 finals

SJ vs STL

A lot of teams talk about bad officiating that effects the result of a game, especially a big game. I'm over that missed call, but it's not hard to understand why fans would be upset over things like that no matter how long ago it was. All of those things I mentioned are still talked about every now and then and they probably will be for a long time.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
*COVID Cup*...you know, like asterisks. All the things that couldn't/wouldn't happen in a normal year but are allowable today because of the pandemic.

In any other year, Montreal couldn't meet up with Edmonton in the second round...or play any other team west of the Great Lakes. It's only possible this year because of the complete bastardization of divisions and scheduling due to COVID.

It's been possible in the past. In the days when the NHL seeded all playoff teams 1-16. Could be possible again in the future.

Reactions: Menzinger

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Really?

Briere's no-goal and Brett Hulls foot in the crease still get brought up often. Not to mention the whole Pavelski thing.
Lmao, Hulls goal was for the cup win, leafs still had half of game 6 to win and all of game 7. Plus another whole round.

Reactions: AyyLmao

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
All this reminiscing about the 92-93 series reminds me of the Leafs holding a public celebration for advancing to the conference finals that year. You know your team is in a dry spell when you celebrate not advancing to the Stanley Cup Finals with the fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad