Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Edmonton has looked very impressive after a bad start but Montreal has stomped them twice already. I'm the furthest thing from a Habs fan but counting them out is ridiculous.
Stomped?

Game 1 - Even until about 8 minutes let in the first. Then MTL spanked them, but I think it was 1-1

Second period, Price goes GOD mode. Oilers could have had 3-5 goals. They didn't. MTL then took over. The Oilers roster was so different then.

Anyways, enough of that. Remember when everybody said Edmonton's pp% was unsustainable at 29.5%? We knew it would go down. It's around 23.9%

EIGHT TEAMS HAVE A PP% HIGHER THAN EDMONTONS LAST YEAR. Pretty insane

Toronto - 34.6
Dallas - 33.3
Washington - 32.4
Chicago - 32.2
Buffalo - 31.1
Florida - 30.2
Carolina - 30
Boston 29.8

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Edmonton has looked very impressive after a bad start but Montreal has stomped them twice already. I'm the furthest thing from a Habs fan but counting them out is ridiculous.

Those 2 games to start out the season isn't indicative of Edmonton's recent play. Montreal came out hot and they played great for the early part of the season. I'm not taking anything away from those games and credit Montreal for taking advantage of teams that couldn't find their legs early in the season. Teams like Edmonton and Winnipeg have been playing more games and caught up to Montreal. Edmonton has shut out Montreal on their recent meeting as well. It's not as one sided as people seem to suggest.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and ujju2

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Those 2 games to start out the season isn't indicative of Edmonton's recent play. Montreal came out hot and they played great for the early part of the season. I'm not taking anything away from those games and credit Montreal for taking advantage of teams that couldn't find their legs early in the season. Teams like Edmonton and Winnipeg have been playing more games and caught up to Montreal. Edmonton has shut out Montreal on their recent meeting as well. It's not as one sided as people seem to suggest.
Not to mention Montreal is currently 4th and only 3 points ahead of Calgary. Montreal has been sinking and playing more in line with pre season predictions. Same with Edmonton . We knew Edmonton was better than their start and Montreal was worse than theirs.

Reactions: Hollywood3

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think the division is going as expected.

It obviously wasn't unanimous, but I think general consensus was that the Leafs were most likely to lead the division,
Bottom of the division on the other hand was fairly close to unanimous, with most people picking Ottawa.
And otherwise, most people thought the division would be very competitive and hard to predict.

Biggest surprise for me is probably Vancouver. I thought they'd probably be in the top ~3 of the division.

Reactions: uncleben

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Not to mention Montreal is currently 4th and only 3 points ahead of Calgary. Montreal has been sinking and playing more in line with pre season predictions. Same with Edmonton . We knew Edmonton was better than their start and Montreal was worse than theirs.
I wouldn't call them sinking considering they have the better point% (2nd best) in regards to the standings. They've also played the fewest games compared to teams in the North. They were on their schedule break and didn't play the entire week. So it made sense active teams were going to catch up to them in terms of points.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Montreal is in the process of falling and by all accounts that will continue.

the oilers appear to have gotten steady goaltending with smith being back and that’s been the difference, if they start the year with smith and his .938 save percentage I don’t think Toronto is in first.

Yeah, they sure kept falling with that 2-1 win vs Toronto.

Edmontons Defense is putrid. They won't pass the habs, no matter how many 'ifs', 'woulds' and 'coulds'

Last edited by a moderator:

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
I think the division is going as expected.

It obviously wasn't unanimous, but I think general consensus was that the Leafs were most likely to lead the division,
Bottom of the division on the other hand was fairly close to unanimous, with most people picking Ottawa.
And otherwise, most people thought the division would be very competitive and hard to predict.

Biggest surprise for me is probably Vancouver. I thought they'd probably be in the top ~3 of the division.
People fail to realize that this wasn't the same team that went to the playoffs. No Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, and Stecher. I had them projected as the bottom teams. Not because I thought the team was bad or anything but because Demko's small sample in the playoff had me skeptical in his play. We just didn't see enough to determine he was going to be as good as Markstrom. Holtby is good but he's not Markstrom either.

The players they brought in wasn't enough to offset the players they lost in the off season. There's still time for them to turn it around though.

Reactions: hn777

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Starting next Thursday the Jets will play the Habs 6 times, the Leafs 3 times and Canucks twice in 21 days. This stretch of games will probably make or break the Jets PO chances. Win a majority of the games against the Habs and Leafs and they are likely in the POs. Lose a majority of those same game and they are likely out of the POs.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
People fail to realize that this wasn't the same team that went to the playoffs. No Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, and Stecher. I had them projected as the bottom teams. Not because I thought the team was bad or anything but because Demko's small sample in the playoff had me skeptical in his play. We just didn't see enough to determine he was going to be as good as Markstrom. Holtby is good but he's not Markstrom either.

The players they brought in wasn't enough to offset the players they lost in the off season. There's still time for them to turn it around though.

I wasn't sold on Demko, but I figured between Demko and Holtby, one of them would take the reigns and be a solid starter.

And yes, they lost some players, but I thought Schmidt was a really good addition and could be an upgrade on Tanev. I also figured Petterson had a decent chance at establishing himself as an upper tier C in the league.

I think their season largely rests on goaltending getting better and Petterson potentially taking off.

Reactions: ujju2

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yeah, they sure kept falling with that 2-1 win vs Toronto.

Your delusions in regard to Edmonton are massive. Defense is putrid. They won't pass the habs, no matter how many 'ifs', 'woulds' and 'coulds'
Well. I guess we will find out at the end of the year right? No point in arguing or trying to prove a point or make a case when you have the stats and standings make it for you. We can just wait.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Starting next Thursday the Jets will play the Habs 6 times, the Leafs 3 times and Canucks twice in 21 days. This stretch of games will probably make or break the Jets PO chances. Win a majority of the games against the Habs and Leafs and they are likely in the POs. Lose a majority of those same game and they are likely out of the POs.

This will be a lot more interesting if PLD is playing, healthy, and contributing. Jets have played the entire season down a top 6 asset, except for one game.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

If the other teams lose a majority of their games vs the Leafs and Habs (which is likely) then it will come down to the Jets record vs the other teams. They've racked up wins over Ottawa, have the edge on Calgary to this point, are tight with Edmonton and just evened the series with Vancouver which makes their record against the Canucks 14 or 15 & 1 over the last 16 games between the two teams. Obviously the Jets can do themselves a huge favor by being competitive in the games vs MTL & TOR. Over the last few years the Jets and Leafs have mainly split their games. Dubois should be back soon and hopefully helps to elevate the teams play.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Stomped?

Game 1 - Even until about 8 minutes let in the first. Then MTL spanked them, but I think it was 1-1

Second period, Price goes GOD mode. Oilers could have had 3-5 goals. They didn't. MTL then took over. The Oilers roster was so different then.

Anyways, enough of that. Remember when everybody said Edmonton's pp% was unsustainable at 29.5%? We knew it would go down. It's around 23.9%

EIGHT TEAMS HAVE A PP% HIGHER THAN EDMONTONS LAST YEAR. Pretty insane

Toronto - 34.6
Dallas - 33.3
Washington - 32.4
Chicago - 32.2
Buffalo - 31.1
Florida - 30.2
Carolina - 30
Boston 29.8

Out of curiosity, what was Edmontons PP% last year after 15 and 18 games?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Out of curiosity, what was Edmontons PP% last year after 15 and 18 games?
Honestly I have no idea? I am guessing it was over what they ended with because they had a good start. Just by logic, all 8 of these teams are going to drop. Edmonton's 29.5 or whatever was almost historic.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I really don't think there's a big separation between Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Edmonton now that most of the early season "preseason" jitters are out of their systems. Calgary could easily join this group as well. To me Ottawa and Vancouver are the two that are clear outliers here.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If it was regular 82, I would be worried. I think the Jets can ride him and he’ll be fresh for a strong playoff run. This is the one position that the Jets have a competitive advantage out of everyone in the North.
No advantage over the Habs in that position. With the addition of Allen we are guaranteed a fresh Price and Allen is playing as good as most starters on any team in the league.
I'm more worried of the rest of the team burning out with their style of play .Hopefully we can get through this insane schedule .

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
No advantage over the Habs in that position. With the addition of Allen we are guaranteed a fresh Price and Allen is playing as good as most starters on any team in the league.
I'm more worried of the rest of the team burning out with their style of play .Hopefully we can get through this insane schedule .

I like Helly over Price for his youth and he is coming off his Vezina year. Helly is now at his peak. Price, while still great, is starting to wane a bit in my opinion. Granted, Price still has the ability to steal a series. But I’d put my money on Helly now and moving forward.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Still trying to wrap my head arounf Forbort mugging Hoglander last night, initiating a scrum, and somehoe the result is a 4 on 4.

Not to mention the several crosschecks earlier that went uncalled.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I really don't think there's a big separation between Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Edmonton now that most of the early season "preseason" jitters are out of their systems. Calgary could easily join this group as well. To me Ottawa and Vancouver are the two that are clear outliers here.
Canucks point% is almost double the Sens. And less than .100 percentage points below Calgary.

All 4 Western Canadian teams are pretty much in the same class right now. Kinda sucks only 2 playoff spots exist for this group of talented teams.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
LOL HNIC talking about a 50 goal season for Auston Matthews. He hasn't done it 82 games, but somehow in 56 games is plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->