Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeah... if the Flames keep playing the way they have they are unlikely to make the playoffs.

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Winnipeg
4. Edmonton
5. Vancouver
6. Calgary
7. Ottawa

confused-face-.gif

Reactions: rubikscube

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
With the divergence in Allen and Price’s play, is there a scenario where the Habs miss this year and Bergevin extends Allen and retains a chunk on Price to move him?

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Big come from behind win for Edmonton last night. Still kinda early but it feels like we can cross Vancouver and Ottawa out. At the moment it looks like Montreal and Calgary will be battling for that final playoff spot.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Big come from behind win for Edmonton last night. Still kinda early but it feels like we can cross Vancouver and Ottawa out. At the moment it looks like Montreal and Calgary will be battling for that final playoff spot.

Not that early. Season is nearly half finished for Van.

They would have to go something like 20-10-3 at this point to make the playoffs. Can't see it happening.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Current playoff chances (via Moneypuck):

Leafs: 97.5%
Oilers: 91.9%
Habs: 87.9%
Jets: 66.4%
Flames: 39.5%
Canucks: 10.8%
Sens: 6.1%

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
With the divergence in Allen and Price’s play, is there a scenario where the Habs miss this year and Bergevin extends Allen and retains a chunk on Price to move him?
Tough, but what team would be willing to take it on? Montreal would have to eat at least 3 million.
Edmonton next offseason perhaps?

That makes Edmonton an actual contender

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Tough, but what team would be willing to take it on? Montreal would have to eat at least 3 million.

Price at $8M might work? Agree Oilers make sense to me too. They would have to give up nothing basically.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You are like Nostradamus!

It seems you were not surprised unlike the rest of us outside the province of Quebec? Where there a lot of rumours that this was going to happen?

Pretty much everyone knows that Bergevin is canned at the end of this seasons if the team miss again.
Bergevin is playing for his job right now. Lot of people were displeased with the use of players (Chiarot on 3 vs 3??) and the special units are just terribad.

Julien is GREAT to make a system but once the other team figured it out, he did nothing to change the situation

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Pretty much everyone knows that Bergevin is canned at the end of this seasons if the team miss again.
Bergevin is playing for his job right now. Lot of people were displeased with the use of players (Chiarot on 3 vs 3??) and the special units are just terribad.

Julien is GREAT to make a system but once the other team figured it out, he did nothing to change the situation
I disagree. The underlying numbers show that no one has really figured out Montreal 5v5. I don't believe a head coach deserves to lose his job for 3v3 or special teams when you are an elite 5v5 team.

Maybe the new guy will prove me wrong, but Julien's system seemed to be wringing every bit of winning potential out of a group that was poorly built. The Edmundson and Anderson signings to me are a great example of a GM making the wrong moves.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I wonder how Canucks fans feel about watching the Habs pull a trigger on firing the coach after the roster has vastly overachieved. Canucks have taken 5 steps back from last season and yet the owner is still backing the GM and coach.

Also for the record, Habs problem is from GM and scouting down, not just with poor coaching. Coach can only do so much when your $10.5 mil goalie is crapping the bed every game.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Price has been .910 or worse in three of the last four seasons. He's been sub replacement level this season and is 34 after next offseason, and that's on a Montreal team with everyone and their donkey insisting having a vastly better defence than in Edmonton.

Even 3 million retained he's still got a 7.5 million dollar caphit for the next five seasons.

Unless we're getting Price for Neal and some throw-in pieces, Edmonton should absolutely not be interested.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Price has been .910 or worse in three of the last four seasons. He's been sub replacement level this season and is 34 after next offseason, and that's on a Montreal team with everyone and their donkey insisting having a vastly better defence than in Edmonton.

Even 3 million retained he's still got a 7.5 million dollar caphit for the next five seasons.

Unless we're getting Price for Neal and some throw-in pieces, Edmonton should absolutely not be interested.
I think he could re-gain his form behind a good team on the rise like Edmonton.

But what alternative do you guys have though? You can't continue with the path you're on with Mike Smith. It's suicide.

I mean I'm sure there's something and Oilers fans would know better than me, but they need a change in net somehow someway

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Habs are screwed with Price. Teams see you can get a better goalie for 3-5 million per, They won't bite on Price. 5 years left. 5...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Current playoff chances (via Moneypuck):

Leafs: 97.5%
Oilers: 91.9%
Habs: 87.9%
Jets: 66.4%
Flames: 39.5%
Canucks: 10.8%
Sens: 6.1%

How on earth do the 9-9 Habs have better odds than the 11-7 Jets? Weird. I do agree those are probably the four playoff teams though.

Reactions: Wats

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
After someone wins the division they should be banned from the rest of the playoffs, because they're not gonna win the SC. ;)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think he could re-gain his form behind a good team on the rise like Edmonton.

But what alternative do you guys have though? You can't continue with the path you're on. It's suicide.

I mean I'm sure there's something and Oilers fans would know better than me, but they need a change in net somehow someway

Signing any of Rask, Binnington, Grubauer, Raanta, Andersen, Halak, or Mrazek in free agency would be fine.

Smith has somewhat surprisingly been fine, and Koskinen is fine as long as he gets proper rest.

There are lots of options, including making a trade for someone that's not sundowning and signed for an eternity with an enormous cap hit. Price is about the worst option I can possibly think of.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Well, Allen has already been extended and will likely be exposed in the expansion draft as Price has a NMC and must be protected. However I wonder if Seattle might possibly be an option if Price would waive it. He's from that area and the cap hit might be as prohibitive to an expansion team. Still, with (I think) 4 years remaining, Price is a pretty difficult sell for any team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well, Allen has already been extended and will likely be exposed in the expansion draft as Price has a NMC and must be protected. However I wonder if Seattle might possibly be an option if Price would waive it. He's from that area and the cap hit might be as prohibitive to an expansion team. Still, with (I think) 4 years remaining, Price is a pretty difficult sell for any team.

Five years after this year and takes up 13% of the cap. It's gonna be a tough sell with anyone, and the return will not be good.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
How on earth do the 9-9 Habs have better odds than the 11-7 Jets? Weird. I do agree those are probably the four playoff teams though.

Probably takes into account how strong a teams underlying numbers are and strength of schedule.

The Habs sitting 5th on their data driven team power rankings and the Jets having 18 of 38 games coming up against the Leafs (who are 3rd) and Habs is certainly something to consider.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I wonder how Canucks fans feel about watching the Habs pull a trigger on firing the coach after the roster has vastly overachieved. Canucks have taken 5 steps back from last season and yet the owner is still backing the GM and coach.

Habs still have expectations and a shot of making the playoffs so firing the coach before things get too dire makes sense if they believe all their struggles are due to Julien (and not an incomplete roster). Vancouver is virtually done this season, whether they fire Green or not. They should at least can Benning and bring in a GM for the long term before the TDL so he has time to fix their mess.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I disagree. The underlying numbers show that no one has really figured out Montreal 5v5. I don't believe a head coach deserves to lose his job for 3v3 or special teams when you are an elite 5v5 team.

Maybe the new guy will prove me wrong, but Julien's system seemed to be wringing every bit of winning potential out of a group that was poorly built. The Edmundson and Anderson signings to me are a great example of a GM making the wrong moves.

Curious, but why do you feel Anderson is an example of a wrong move? He's been one of the most consistently good forwards on the Habs all season and producing at a higher rate than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->