Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Everyone in Toronto knows how good McDavid is, most of us have known about him since he was 12 years old lol.

Media sucks everywhere.

Im saying the fact that Draisaitl wasn't mentioned. Just shows ignorance toward the team. How can you trust/publish someone's opinion that doesn't even know who won the major awards last year lol.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yes all fanbases have the occasional one like this. I’ve even told a few jets ones they’re ridiculous. Yet I manage to never see any leaf fans comment to that poster, only to me when I comment to him.

I never saw it, and considering half our fanbase thinks Andersen is garbage I wouldn’t be surprised if not many did.

Stuff like this is what gives Toronto media a bad rep. How does a newspaper columnist forget Draisaitl won the Ross, Hart and Lindsey last year? Let alone publish the article?

Um... It’s the Toronto Star, lol.

You are overthinking it’s impact.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Jets are a great team and so are the Oilers. I think it's going to shake out like this:

Leafs
Jets/Oilers
Jets/Oilers
Habs
Flames
Canucks
Sens

1st round Leafs vs Habs... lets go

If that's the case then you get two very interesting matchups.
Habs vs Leafs speaks for itself.

Many would want a Battle of Alberta but when you look at Jets 1.0 history it is littered with heartbreak from those all time great Oiler teams.
Edmonton currently has some super star players but no Grant Fuhr in net.
And Winnipeg doesn't have the swiss cheese goaltending (in comparison) that those 80's teams had to go to war with.

The Oilers would represent a HUGE risk reward.
Conquer the demons of the past or fail and add to the legacy of horror between the two franchises.

I think with teams playing this many games against each other that the records are more likely to be close to splits then the sweeps you might see in seasons if you only play 2 or 3 times.

Reactions: pictman

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Stuff like this is what gives Toronto media a bad rep. How does a newspaper columnist forget Draisaitl won the Ross, Hart and Lindsey last year? Let alone publish the article?

They aren't really a major sports news source. If you're looking for hockey news in the daily paper you read the Sun.

I can totally understand how that would bother you. An embarrassing error on their part.

Oddly I can't seem to find that article. Any idea what date it was written?

Reactions: libertarian

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
They aren't really a major sports news source. If you're looking for hockey news in the daily paper you read the Sun.

I can totally understand how that would bother you. An embarrassing error on their part.

Oddly I can't seem to find that article. Any idea what date it was written?

It's since been updated, but it's here:
Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid for Hart? Leafs, Oilers dominate the Power Rankings | The Star

It is kind of hilarious that the preceding paragraph is: "Still, Oilers fans fear their players are overlooked."

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The ignorance that comes out Eastern Canada shouldn't shock me, yet here we are.

Draisaitl literally swept the 3 major awards last year. Like how does the editorial board even allow that to pass through before making it publicly available? Talk about an embarrassment.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A lot of premature declaration of Toronto as a team that's distanced themselves from Winnipeg or Edmonton in this thread.

The 4 game set between the Oilers and Leafs showed little to choose between the two and the Oilers weren't even playing great hockey at that time. Winnipeg with Dubois is going to be excellent and Toronto hasn't faced them with him either.

I think most Leaf fans know when the regular season ends it's a new season. Anything can happen. If we are healthy we are a slight favorites in Canada but we have too many question marks to get cocky.

If we get to play the Habs in the first round and two western teams fight it out it will make for some great stories, though no offense the Battle of Alberta and the Leafs-Habs is probably what the networks want.

Frankly I could live with beating the Habs and losing to Winnipeg. Oiler fans would just torture us if we lost to them so please be my guest and take them out for us. :)

Reactions: Pongs21

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Oh man. Friedman Disclosed some pretty telling issues in Calgary.

Elliotte Friedman states it all started with the Muzzin puck incident
• They had an internal meeting after that and it went sideways after that
• Tkachuk was frustrated, he feels that some of his teammates didn't want him creating something every game.
• Tkachuk is confused with that as that is how he plays the game, causing chaos and getting everyone involved
• Markstromm charged down the ice, twice. Elliotte thinks it's to send a message that "we are not playing hard enough"
• Elliotte says that the Calgary group is not playing for each other
• Brad Treliving is making calls on a lot of guys. Not only for Sam Bennett.
• Elliotte says Calgary are looking at this as "It's time to change our group" (Hard to do due to Border-- but they are trying to change there group)

:laugh: "Classic"

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Oh man. Friedman Disclosed some pretty telling issues in Calgary.

• Elliotte Friedman states it all started with the Muzzin puck incident
• They had an internal meeting after that and it went sideways after that
• Tkachuk was frustrated, he feels that some of his teammates didn't want him creating something every game.
• Tkachuk is confused with that as that is how he plays the game, causing chaos and getting everyone involved
• Markstromm charged down the ice, twice. Elliotte thinks it's to send a message that "we are not playing hard enough"
• Elliotte says that the Calgary group is not playing for each other
• Brad Treliving is making calls on a lot of guys. Not only for Sam Bennett.
• Elliotte says Calgary are looking at this as "It's time to change our group" (Hard to do due to Border-- but they are trying to change there group)
lmao a simple puck flip catalyzed this, Muzzin is amazing :laugh:

Reactions: Dhakhan

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
There is a lot of hockey to play yet and many people had statements about how "impossible" it is for XXXX to catch YYYY in the standings. Nuh, uh. Take Toronto and Winnipeg. Toronto has 30 points in 19 games (1st at .789), Winnipeg has 23 in 18 (2nd at .639). Toronto has 37 games remaining, Winnipeg has 38. Using baseball's "GBL" metric, Toronto leads by 3 games (3 in the win column, and 3 in the loss column).

Here's where the maths comes in:

If Winnipeg continues at .639, they get 72 points.

If Toronto plays at a .567 clip (21-16), they too would finish with 72 points. That is not "falling off a cliff". In fact their current percentage would lead to 126 points in 80 games. I don't think they ever came close to that.

In baseball terms, if one team led another by 3 games with 37 or 38 games remaining, and 8 games head-to-head, it would be considered a good pennant race.

My advice is enjoy the games. Nobody has anything "clinched". Ottawa won't make the playoffs but everybody else is a streak away from glory, or disaster, depending on the type of streak.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The current d group unit, yup you are correct, but the problem with that is the Jets have yet to ice their best defensive unit.

Until Samberg and Heinola are in the lineup, we are missing 2 of our best dmen. And I would even add Stanley in there, as he outperformed Beaulieu and Demelo when in the lineup as a rookie.

They are getting major ice with the Moose, - Stanley (Taxi Squad) and the game plan is to get their feet under them in the AHL, then promote to the Jets when they look solid.

After a few games in the A, its clear that both are ready to be NHL dmen.

Sorry but unless injuries force the issue I don't expect Samberg and Heinola to play with the Jets full time this season. They will play big time minutes with the Moose and get another offseason of training to get bigger and stronger. I do expect both to make the Jets full time next season. The Jets have been very good to not rush prospects into the NHL until they are ready for the show.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Looking at point percentage the West is miles ahead of the North. Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver all below 50% in point%. Only Anaheim is below 50% in the West. So yea it's not close at all.

8 teams are below 50% and 3 of them are from the North, they also only have 7 teams in the division while other divisions have 8. So yea the North is an absolute joke.

Ive read a lot of dumb things on this website but this takes the cake. The inability to understand results from a self-contained division is amazing

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Um... It’s the Toronto Star, lol.

You are overthinking it’s impact.

Toronto Star is the "legit" paper compared to the Toronto Sun (which still has bikini clad women). It's par for the course for Toronto media though... hockey doesn't exist outside of the Leafs :)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
where's all the Flames fans? gave up already?

given up?

We’ve played absolutely horrendously this season. We have terrible teams like Montreal and Edmonton ahead of us. We are in no way that far behind despite our disastrous start.

we also have 9/36 games against Ottawa. We’re coming for you. Keep playing your best players 30 minutes a game and see how that turns out by the end of the season

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
After that tantrum by Matthew, there should have been meetings. If I'm a Flames player I watched that in embarrassment. What a laughable overreaction. Kid looks unstable.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
given up?

We’ve played absolutely horrendously this season. We have terrible teams like Montreal and Edmonton ahead of us. We are in no way that far behind despite our disastrous start.

we also have 9/36 games against Ottawa. We’re coming for you. Keep playing your best players 30 minutes a game and see how that turns out by the end of the season
if the "terrible" Oilers slapped around the Flames over the weekend, what does that make the Flames?
you have the worst coach in the NHL lol....please never fire him Treliving

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
if the "terrible" Oilers slapped around the Flames over the weekend, what does that make the Flames?
you have the worst coach in the NHL lol....please never fire him Treliving

actually... the 7-1 loss the Flames heavily outchanced the Oilers. That was a game where clearly the flames were coming back to life. Just no bounces. A few bad decisions. Every shot you had went in the back of the net. You have a 2-1 series lead but as we’ve seen before you are already planning a parade through jasper ave (ewwww what a disgusting downtown)

much like the game Vancouver lost 4-1 to Calgary. You could see the Nucks were coming out of a slump but sometimes things don’t go your way.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Sorry but unless injuries force the issue I don't expect Samberg and Heinola to play with the Jets full time this season. They will play big time minutes with the Moose and get another offseason of training to get bigger and stronger. I do expect both to make the Jets full time next season. The Jets have been very good to not rush prospects into the NHL until they are ready for the show.
Samberg probably not, Heinola will be in the lineup come April, 100%.

Reactions: Hollywood3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad