Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I hope the "North" excuse gets held against the Jets the same way it does other teams.

Jets D is not good enough to be with the Leafs.
The current d group unit, yup you are correct, but the problem with that is the Jets have yet to ice their best defensive unit.

Until Samberg and Heinola are in the lineup, we are missing 2 of our best dmen. And I would even add Stanley in there, as he outperformed Beaulieu and Demelo when in the lineup as a rookie.

They are getting major ice with the Moose, - Stanley (Taxi Squad) and the game plan is to get their feet under them in the AHL, then promote to the Jets when they look solid.

After a few games in the A, its clear that both are ready to be NHL dmen.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Yeesh, people talking like there's not even games to be played. Super toxic thread.

Serious question: If Toronto gets bounced again in playoffs this year on the back of another Andersen meltdown what happens with the team?

They'd still be in a better spot than every other Canadian team.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
The current d group unit, yup you are correct, but the problem with that is the Jets have yet to ice their best defensive unit.

Until Samberg and Heinola are in the lineup, we are missing 2 of our best dmen. And I would even add Stanley in there, as he outperformed Beaulieu and Demelo when in the lineup as a rookie.

They are getting major ice with the Moose, - Stanley (Taxi Squad) and the game plan is to get their feet under them in the AHL, then promote to the Jets when they look solid.

After a few games in the A, its clear that both are ready to be NHL dmen.

I just don't see Jets playing at a near historic level to be with the Leafs. they are too far behind.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I look forward to our games then, we’ll see how it plays out.
The thought of having a Leafs vs Jets second round matchup would be absurd, a matchup we most likely will never get again once we go back to the regular divisions.

The Laine vs Mathews debate(and now that Laine is gone, I will concede Mathews is better;)) created some animosity between fanbases, but an actual playoff matchup would take it to a whole new level.

The games we have had have always been top notch entertainment as both teams have skill.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Search for a competent goaltender would be the 1st thing to address, and then figure out the Rielly situation. Can we extend him for a reasonable price ? Or look at other options ? I don't think he deserves over 6m, so I think we'll resign him but we will see.
Thank you for an actual non-homer answer. The other ones are just nonsense. It's a shame because it ruins the whole website.

Like Andersen couldn't possibly be trusted to carry the load again (if he chokes, not saying he will), but what alternative is there?
What kind of contract would Rielly have?

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I just don't see Jets playing at a near historic level to be with the Leafs. they are too far behind.
There's still 9? games left between the two. Winnipeg coming out on top with a clean 2 points in a good portion of those games would go a long way of changing that. However that's a tall order and with how good the Leafs has been, winning a majority of those games cleanly is a gigantic task that doesn't seem probable. We'll see how the upcoming 3 games between the two plays out.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Thank you for an actual non-homer answer. The other ones are just nonsense. It's a shame because it ruins the whole website.

Like Andersen couldn't possibly be trusted to carry the load again (if he chokes), but what alternative is there?
What kind of contract would Rielly have?

That's the problem, who do we replace him with ? Do we give Campbell a shot ? Re-sign Freddy short term and see if he can turn it around ? Goaltenders aren't really available and that's the biggest issue we have. We might just have to roll with him, which sucks. He's still a starter, but I don't think he's in the top half of goaltenders.

IMO Giving Campbell a shot makes more sense, he's cheaper and realistically he can't be much worse than Freddy. You know what you're getting out of Campbell consistently, Freddy is too volatile. Either plays amazing or absolute garbage. Giving Campbell a shot would also clear cap to re-sign Rielly and make other improvements around the roster. We're just gonna have to wait to see how this year plays out and go from there.

Reactions: rubikscube

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I dunno. I'm critical of how much Vegas lost to add Pietro. We'll see. They've had such an easy schedule thus far.

On defense? The top 5 has been significantly improved for even strength and special teams.

You could argue the asset management was bad, and they could have found a way to keep Schmidt, but to say they downgraded is objectively false.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I hope the "North" excuse gets held against the Jets the same way it does other teams.

Jets D is not good enough to be with the Leafs.

It’s a losers excuse, makes no difference if it’s used against us or the Jets or anyone. It comes from losers who are just trying to rationalize why their team sucks, or their players aren’t doing as good.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Toronto

Winnipeg
Edmonton

Montreal
Calgary

Vancouver

Ottawa

Battle between montreal and calgary for the 4th playoff spot

I just hope we stay healthy for the playoffs. A lot of injuries have been starting to happen (Muzzin now out with a broken bone in his face) to go along with Hyman, Simmonds, Thorton, Sandin (potential call up) and Campbell.

I hope we bring up Robertson and either Lilly or play Lehtonen more.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I just hope we stay healthy for the playoffs. A lot of injuries have been starting to happen (Muzzin now out with a broken bone in his face) to go along with Hyman, Simmonds, Thorton, Sandin (potential call up) and Campbell.

I hope we bring up Robertson and either Lilly or play Lehtonen more.

I would like to see more of Lehtonen but the fact is Dermott and Bogosian have been far better. They've made a great third pair.

Reactions: TopChedder

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I would like to see more of Lehtonen but the fact is Dermott and Bogosian have been far better. They've made a great third pair.

Dermott and Bogosian, with Lehtonen as the 7th D is fantastic defenisve depth.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Sorry, not buying that.

We still have 2/3 of a season left to play, and with a game in hand if won, would put us 5 points behind, with 36 games left to play. Add in the fact we have 8 more games head to head with the Leafs. Go 5-2-1 you gap that instantly in the standings.

The Jets have managed a solid record without what could be arguably their best player. I have no doubt that if PLD was playing from the start of our season, we would be 2 to 3 wins better than we are and neck and neck with the Leafs.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Sorry, not buying that.

We still have 2/3 of a season left to play, and with a game in hand if won, would put us 5 points behind, with 36 games left to play. Add in the fact we have 8 more games head to head with the Leafs. Go 5-2-1 you gap that instantly in the standings.

The Jets have managed a solid record without what could be arguably their best player. I have no doubt that if PLD was playing from the start of our season, we would be 2 to 3 wins better than we are and neck and neck with the Leafs.

We shall see. My only qualm with this is that I haven't seen Winnipeg play a really good game against a good team yet. Edmonton and Montreal have played Toronto the hardest.

So far, here are their records:

WL % of wins
Calgary Flames3227%
Toronto Maple Leafs010%
Ottawa Senators4136%
Edmonton Oilers2218%
Vancouver Canucks2118%
Montreal Canadiens 0 0 0%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Ok. I appreciate your honesty. Next question is what do you suppose causes fans of Toronto to suffer from this disability?
I’m not claiming to have all the answers to everything, and I’m not playing this game where you ask me question after question looking for some sort of flaw. Serious question, why do you think you always come to question my posts but not the posts of say leafsnation75 claiming Andersen is better than Hellebuyck even before the season started or the many other posts of that caliber?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
We shall see. My only qualm with this is that I haven't seen Winnipeg play a really good game against a good team yet. Edmonton and Montreal have played Toronto the hardest.

WL % of wins
Calgary Flames3227%
Toronto Maple Leafs010%
Ottawa Senators4136%
Edmonton Oilers2218%
Vancouver Canucks2118%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You start your post by talking about visually watching them play a tough game, win or lose, then post a graphic of wins and loses as evidence?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

WL % of wins
Calgary Flames3227%
Toronto Maple Leafs010%
Ottawa Senators4136%
Edmonton Oilers2218%
Vancouver Canucks2118%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We have beaten Edmonton twice so far this season, and lost 2, but all 4 games did not have Laine or PLD playing on our lineup.

Over the next 3 weeks we will get a good read on how the Jets stack up. We have 4 games against Montreal and 3 against the Leafs.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Sorry, not buying that.

I agree it’s absurd to suggest the Jets can’t hang with the Leafs, they have the divisions best goalie and a deep forward group. Their D looks a little suspect on paper, but no team is perfect. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the Jets come out of the North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->