Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Neither McDavid or Matthews have accomplished much come playoffs. Something would have to give. Still say Montreal and Winnipeg are scary. A Vezina goalie who can steal any playoff series. Montreal is built to win in the playoffs.

McDavid scored 9 points in 4 games last year?

On most teams that kind of performance is inspiring Conn Smythe talk. Thing is the Oilers got .750 goaltending.

Reactions: Declassified

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
McDavid scored 9 points in 4 games last year?

On most teams that kind of performance is inspiring Conn Smythe talk. Thing is the Oilers got .750 goaltending.

It wasn't a remark on McDavid or Matthews as much as a remark on the incompetence of both teams. McDavid is the best player in the world. He is going to get his points. Screams volumes that he beasted that hard and Edmonton still lost. You guys confident your goaltending will stand up against Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal? If it can then Edmonton wins the North. It is a big if though.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Oilers and Leafs will end up 1 and 2.
Four other teams fighting for 3 and 4.

Edmonton and Toronto have not claimed anything over Montreal and Winnipeg. Beating up on Vancouver, Ottawa, and apparently a dysfunctional Calgary doesn't lay claim to dominance.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Still think Montreal is better. But will say Edmonton looks be the clear 3rd for me right now.

I'm not sold on Montreal yet.

I think we are building them up because of their hot start. They were a Bettman .500 team last season. Their top five scorers this season are all pacing for career years which isn't likely to hold up.

Jan 5-1-2 +11
Feb 4-3 +2

Two different months so far.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Still think Montreal is better. But will say Edmonton looks be the clear 3rd for me right now.
Montreal is in the process of falling and by all accounts that will continue.

the oilers appear to have gotten steady goaltending with smith being back and that’s been the difference, if they start the year with smith and his .938 save percentage I don’t think Toronto is in first.

Billy8484

Feb 17, 2020
Ottawa , Canada
Oilers best record in the NHL in there last 10 games played ( 8-2 ) and don’t say they played Ottawa , Ottawa beat Toronto and Montreal and Winnipeg in that same span .. if they get goaltending they may be dangerous

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020

the oilers appear to have gotten steady goaltending with smith being back and that’s been the difference, if they start the year with smith and his .938 save percentage I don’t think Toronto is in first.

If Smith continues to carry a .938 save percentage the Oilers are not just passing the Leafs but winning the Cup because that save percentage would put him top 5 all time in a season. Think he can keep that up?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
If Smith continues to carry a .938 save percentage the Oilers are not just passing the Leafs but winning the Cup because that save percentage would put him top 5 all time in a season. Think he can keep that up?
LOl ya, nobody plays like that consistently. Hell, give us 0.910+ combined we are happy

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
LOl ya, nobody plays like that consistently. Hell, give us 0.910+ combined we are happy

Oilers look great. Just like Montreal, Toronto, and Winnipeg have looked great at different points this season. It feels good to have faith in your team. It is what makes being a fan exciting.

Reactions: Redwingsfan

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Oilers look great. Just like Montreal, Toronto, and Winnipeg have looked great at different points this season. It feels good to have faith in your team. It is what makes being a fan exciting.
I am starting to have more faith in Edmonton after seeing how good Nurse is stepping up and knowing we might get Klefbom back, If he can play even a #2/3 role it will help. Bear has been out since that TO game. Leggesson looking fairly solid. I like how our D is shaping up. Bouchard is going to be very good.

Most importantly, the bottom 6 is coming together. We are actually winning some games where McDrai are not doing anything.

Badly need a consistent goalie who doesn't give up easy goals. Doesn't happen every game, but it's happened a few to deflate them.

We looked so lost the first part of the season. Lines were not meshing that well. They have slowly been getting better.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Koskinen has always been a guy who falters hard when he is over worked. Now that Smith (inconsistent as all hell himself) is back it will help. They key for the coaches is figuring out which guy is going to be good that night and which one terrible. Because both goalies can look like the best goalie on the planet or the worst on any given night.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
One goal losses this year, IDK why but here
Calgary 5
Sens: 5
Winnipeg: 5
Montreal: 3
Leafs: 3
Oilers: 2
Canucks: 1

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Oilers best record in the NHL in there last 10 games played ( 8-2 ) and don’t say they played Ottawa , Ottawa beat Toronto and Montreal and Winnipeg in that same span .. if they get goaltending they may be dangerous
If they get league average goaltending they win more than they lose.

Reactions: Billy8484

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

If any team gets .938 goaltending they are in first.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
It’s clearly between Toronto and Edmonton. If anyone else disagrees they are lying. I’ll take Connor even if AM has the stacked team around him

Edmonton has looked very impressive after a bad start but Montreal has stomped them twice already. I'm the furthest thing from a Habs fan but counting them out is ridiculous.

Reactions: Mez

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
IMO Montreal is due for a fall. Calgary is already in their fall. 4th place could come down to those two teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad