Canadian 2011 Ivan Hlinka roster?

Im slightly concerned about the quality of 94's compared to the rest of the world.

Only one kid with over 50 points, Hudon, and when I saw him play, you noticed his size really held him back.

Looking at past U-18 rosters, here are the players who scored 50 pts in the CHL rookie season:
2010: Puempel, Nugent-Hopkins, Jenner
2009: Seguin, Skinner, McFarland, Connolly, Spooner
2008: Schenn, Hall, Ellis, Duchene, Glennie, O'Rielly
2007: Stamkos, Eberle, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo, Beach (excluding eligible Tavares)

I realize points arent everything, and that guys like Huberdeau, Couturier, Kane, Kadri have emerged after average rookie season's, but its pretty telling that all the players who compete for no 1, at least hit the 50 point block as rookies

I agree that this a year which doesn't have as much developed scoring talent up front as most years. The other comparable year is the 1986 birth year which also had only one 50 point player and potential first round forward in Wojtek Wolski. That was the first Canadian team in 8 years not to win the gold. But, on the positive side that team didn't have the type of talent on defence that this year had either.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
There is a little, but the defense is way to deep for all of them to make the team.

The 'D' on this team could entirely be from the WHL, but will more likely only have 4 or 5 tops;

Griffin Reinhart(lock)
Morgan Reilly(lock)
Matt Dumba(lock)
Derrick Poulliot
Ryan Pulock
Damon Severson

OHL D-men;

Slater Koekkoek(lock)
Gianluca Curcuruto

QMJHL D-men;

Michael Matheson(lock)
Dominic Poulin

This group of D-men look like some of the best 6 or 7 we have seen in years!! We all know how good the 1985 group was and these guys appear to be up there with them!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Im slightly concerned about the quality of 94's compared to the rest of the world.

Only one kid with over 50 points, Hudon, and when I saw him play, you noticed his size really held him back.

Looking at past U-18 rosters, here are the players who scored 50 pts in the CHL rookie season:
2007: Stamkos, Eberle, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo, Beach (excluding eligible Tavares)

I realize points arent everything, and that guys like Huberdeau, Couturier, Kane, Kadri have emerged after average rookie season's, but its pretty telling that all the players who compete for no 1, at least hit the 50 point block as rookies

All the more reason then for HOCKEY CANADA to invite Nathan Mackinnon to the selection camp in August!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I agree that this a year which doesn't have as much developed scoring talent up front as most years. The other comparable year is the 1986 birth year which also had only one 50 point player and potential first round forward in Wojtek Wolski. That was the first Canadian team in 8 years not to win the gold. But, on the positive side that team didn't have the type of talent on defence that this year had either.

According to HOCKEY CANADA, Ekblad will be in the mix for this team......seems a bit strange to invite Ekblad as he is a '96 born?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The 'D' on this team could entirely be from the WHL, but will more likely only have 4 or 5 tops;

Griffin Reinhart(lock)
Morgan Reilly(lock)
Matt Dumba(lock)
Derrick Poulliot
Ryan Pulock
Damon Severson

OHL D-men;

Slater Koekkoek(lock)
Gianluca Curcuruto

QMJHL D-men;

Michael Matheson(lock)
Dominic Poulin

This group of D-men look like some of the best 6 or 7 we have seen in years!! We all know how good the 1985 group was and these guys appear to be up there with them!

IMO they won't go without Jesse Graham on the back end.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Team Ontario did beat Team USA at the U17's so they should be alright for offense, or lets hope anyways........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad