Canada's Team

Is Montreal Canada's team now with the rest eliminated?

• Total voters

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Don’t care one or the other about the Habs. But them embarrassing the Leafs and then the Refs puts them in my good books. So sure, Go Habs Go!

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I wanted the Knights to win before the series and until that garbage display of reffing in game 3.

Following that shit display I’ve been fully wanting the Habs to win now. More trash officiating slanted in favour of Vegas again this game.

Glad to have you aboard, sir snipes

Reactions: snipes

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't really care too much about teams being Canadian if Vancouver is out. I'll sometimes cheer for Montreal, Ottawa and/or Edmonton if they're still in it but not particularly enthusiastically. The others I wouldn't cheer for but wouldn't be upset if they won either. I mostly want the games to be interesting/entertaining.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Canada's team is used by the Sportsnet/TSN to push ratings up. If my team isn't battling it in the Playoffs, I couldn't give a rat's ass about other Canadian teams.

Let's go VEGAS!!!!!!!!!

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Well on these message boards it gets tiring and old to have so many people critique your posts and then not share their opinion.

Do all Westerners think that? probably not but I would say the majority (51%) still think that way and generally dislike Quebec which includes the Habs. Take the Separation movement that gained some following in Alberta and in Saskatchewan, they are gaining traction because they feel like Quebec is getting special treatment while they are getting a raw deal.

Thats enough political talk though. Back to Hockey!
Not willing talking politics... but you bring a) that western people dislike Québec b) you make a reference to Québec séparation mouvement c) you invoke the western people (and only them) disliking Québec because they have a ¨special treatment¨. Two question sis 1) how are your assumption related to hockey and why now! b) I remember western arena full of Habs jersey (must have been a lot of non western people in western arena and c) where is your agenda! ;)

Reactions: kanadalainen

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Not willing talking politics... but you bring a) that western people dislike Québec b) you make a reference to Québec séparation mouvement c) you invoke the western people (and only them) disliking Québec because they have a ¨special treatment¨. Two question sis 1) how are your assumption related to hockey and why now! b) I remember western arena full of Habs jersey (must have been a lot of non western people in western arena and c) where is your agenda! ;)
Man, its starting to get annoying how everyone who replies to me doesn't actually read what I post.

Anyway, if you looked who I was quoting you would find out why I talked about it.

Reactions: BRUINS since 1995

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Canada's team happens in international tournaments, some people might jump on a bandwagon because it's fun but there's no Canada's team in the NHL, and there never has been. The closest was when Montreal had all the French fans and Toronto all the English ones.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
The only team Canada cheers for won the World Championships a couple weeks ago.

Asking all of Canada to cheer for the last Canadian team in the playoffs is like asking students/alumni of all SEC schools to cheer for Alabama in the National Championship game.

Not gonna happen.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I hate the way this poll is worded. It does not take into account that you can be a fan of another Canadian team cheering for Montreal but not believe in them being Canada’s team.

Reactions: kanadalainen

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think you cannot ask fans from other franchises to cheer for MTL at this stage. The NHL is not the WC, it is not supposed to be a patriotic event and the teams are international (star goalie from the Jets is an US player, 1st center of the Leafs is US, CGY star winger is US, MTL best Dman is US, VAN top center is SWE...). The paradox is that star Canadian players have been winning cups for US teams for the past 30 years (Crosby, Letang, Doughty, Stamkos, Toews, Pietrangelo, O Reilly... latest blunder being Point drafted in the third round by TBL while Habs drafted Sherback and Lernout, I was really pissed off I remember)

However I always cheer for Canadian teams because I like the idea of the cup being in Canada, the country where the sport is most relevant. Call me old fashioned and you of course do not have to share my view on this :)

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I cheer for all the Canadian teams no matter what because it's been pretty clear to me over the years that the league doesn't want Canadian teams to win anymore. We're a captive, loyal audience already whereas the goal is to grow the game in new markets, especially those that will help the league draw bigger TV numbers in larger or glamorous American cities.

Going back to 2004 when the Flames got robbed on the Gelinas goal, the way the Bruins were able to manhandle the Canucks in 2011 (not to mention how they were allowed to manhandle the Leafs, Sens and Habs in subsequent series's), the way the Ducks got the ludicrous calls they did against the Oilers in 2018, a few years back when the Habs played the Rangers (not to mention Kreider being allowed to take out Price in 2014) and this year where the league has been actively trying to give Vegas the win (why wouldn't they with the new ESPN deal coming up, plus having TB/Veg in the final validates Bettman's legacy ie. expanding into southern US markets) etc. etc.

In short, Canadian hockey has been colonized by the U.S. I know some will dismiss me as a conspiracy theorist, but anybody who is willing to be intellectually honest with themselves and has been watching hockey long enough and remembers the league pre-Bettman, should be able to make the connection.

It's not just the NHL either. Remember the Texas and Kansas City -friendly strike zones against the Jays in 2015, the insane reffing the Raptors had to overcome when they won the championship? And it's not just Canadian teams either. Smaller-market American teams get screwed all the time in all sports, The most egregious example was when the NFL sacrificed the Saints in order to ensure the LA Rams made it to the Super Bowl.

It would be nice if Canadian fans formed some solidarity to contest this, but instead, we'll let our petty regional grievances divide us as we always do.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I cheer for all the Canadian teams no matter what because it's been pretty clear to me over the years that the league doesn't want Canadian teams to win anymore. We're a captive, loyal audience already whereas the goal is to grow the game in new markets, especially those that will help the league draw bigger TV numbers in larger or glamorous American cities.

Going back to 2004 when the Flames got robbed on the Gelinas goal, the way the Bruins were able to manhandle the Canucks in 2011 (not to mention how they were allowed to manhandle the Leafs, Sens and Habs in subsequent series's), the way the Ducks got the ludicrous calls they did against the Oilers in 2018, a few years back when the Habs played the Rangers (not to mention Kreider being allowed to take out Price in 2014) and this year where the league has been actively trying to give Vegas the win (why wouldn't they with the new ESPN deal coming up, plus having TB/Veg in the final validates Bettman's legacy ie. expanding into southern US markets) etc. etc.

In short, Canadian hockey has been colonized by the U.S. I know some will dismiss me as a conspiracy theorist, but anybody who is willing to be intellectually honest with themselves and has been watching hockey long enough and remembers the league pre-Bettman, should be able to make the connection.

It's not just the NHL either. Remember the Texas and Kansas City -friendly strike zones against the Jays in 2015, the insane reffing the Raptors had to overcome when they won the championship? And it's not just Canadian teams either. Smaller-market American teams get screwed all the time in all sports, The most egregious example was when the NFL sacrificed the Saints in order to ensure the LA Rams made it to the Super Bowl.

It would be nice if Canadian fans formed some solidarity to contest this, but instead, we'll let our petty regional grievances divide us as we always do.

Or maybe there is no solidarity because most of us realize this isn't some conspiracy theory by bettman?

But feel free to wear your tinfoil hat and boo betman from your couch when he hands the Stanley cup to mark stone in 3 weeks

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Funny to see multiple Habs fans vote: Yes, I am a fan of a rival team in Canada and want Montreal to win the Stanley Cup

:laugh:

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Or maybe there is no solidarity because most of us realize this isn't some conspiracy theory by bettman?

But feel free to wear your tinfoil hat and boo betman from your couch when he hands the Stanley cup to mark stone in 3 weeks
If the Sens ever make the playoffs again, revisit my post and you'll see what I mean.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007

Stockholm Syndrome. Will serve you well once Tkachuk bolts the first chance that he gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad