Canada's Team

Is Montreal Canada's team now with the rest eliminated?

• Total voters

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Going by how much validation other teams are screaming for from the North Division, I'd say they are. For us heehaw folk below the border, it's like Virginia, Boston College and Syracuse cheering for Clemson in the NCAA college football playoffs because it makes the ACC look strong.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Canada's team is just a fake narrative the Canadian media drums up (successfully somehow) for the hockey normies that watch nine games a year. Any self respecting fan of a Canadian market knows that the only one you want to win is the ones you cheer for.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'd wager Leafs and Ottawa fans are against it, and the west teams don't care. And white haired old men probably are rooting for them as Canada's team

Synesthesia

Apr 15, 2012
Montreal's media circus is enough for me to cheer against the team year after year. It's both ridiculous and pathetic. The amount of idiocy that is spewed by the journalists is mind-boggling.

Reactions: Geardedandbearded

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Habs are my second favourite Canadian team. I’m not cheering for them cause they are Canadian, I’m cheering for them cause they are the underdog.

Reactions: Tripod

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'd wager Leafs and Ottawa fans are against it, and the west teams don't care. And white haired old men probably are rooting for them as Canada's team

really? The White hair old men I’ve talked to are all like ‘Damn Quebecers with their transfer payments and their hatred for pipelines yet their love of oil…” something along the lines of that

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
This is stupid - this isn't the olympics. Every region in Canada has one or multiple NHL teams not like in the NBA/MLB.

Reactions: Tripod

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This isn’t the World Cup, who cares that the Habs are a Canadian team……cheer for the Habs or whoever you want to win the cup IMO, but don’t cheer for the Habs just b/c they are a Canadian team.

Yeah I never understood this "canada's team" thing. I didn't really think much about it before but now I am kinda wondering why it's a thing in the first place. We're talking about a league that has teams in 2 neighboring countries lol

Really only casual fans cheer just cause it’s a Canadian team no matter what.

That's what I used to think but these playoffs kinda made me rethink of all this. I was surprised by the proportion of Sens fans cheering for the Habs or at least sympathetic to their cause

Doesn't look like there's real rivalries in NHL hockey. In real rivalries, you'd never ever see a fan cheer for a rival team

Kinda makes it easier for me, I live very close to Montreal but don't care about the Habs so I can't be happy if they win but at least I can be happy for some real life friends who are Habs fans.

If they don't win, gives more time to my favorite team to be the next one from my area to win the Cup (so amongst what I would think are the natural rivals)

Montreal's media circus is enough for me to cheer against the team year after year. It's both ridiculous and pathetic. The amount of idiocy that is spewed by the journalists is mind-boggling.

Marc-Andre Fleury is from Quebec. He seems to be a really nice guy, it's true. The reason why Vegas lost in 2020 is apparently because Vegas screwed MAF and was starting Robin Lehner. What if Lehner wins the current serie now? What will be the narrative? As a consumer of Montreal's media coverage (see location), I totally understand what you're saying and even think it's an understatement lol

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Neither applies to my thoughts. I am a fan of a rival Canadian team (Leafs), but the way the season unfolded (covid, no fans, etc. short schedule. plus losing to a team that probably wouldn't have made the playoffs in a full season) I have maybe watched 5 minutes of hockey since. Couldn't care less who wins really. "Canada's team" is kind of gimmicky way to attempt to create discussion. Canada's team (other than Team Canada) is the team throughout the country that has the most supporters, is the way I define it. Not cheering for Montreal (or whoever) doesn't make you any less a fan. Even if you want to talk Raptors or Blue Jays - yes they are Canada's only team, but should Canadians feel compelled to cheer for them.........probably not, but why not? I am in Windsor, ON and there are probably more Piston fans in Windsor than Raptors fans (Raptors have only been around since the 90s though). Jays....well there are more Jays fans than Raptors fans here, but still more Tigers fans.

It's like the Memorial Cup - because I am a fan of a certain OHL team - does it mean I have to cheer for the OHL team in the Mem Cup? No.... it doesn't.

If it comes to a MTL-NYI final (oh the horror of this though), it will be the most boring, snooze fest of a final.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm cheering on Montreal.

Too bad Price let one squeeze in late in the third.

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
tumblr_mb3n3n6seb1qegkre.gif

F-Yeah!!! Bring that cup back to Canada where it belongs!!! Gogogo Allez Allez Allez Les Canadiens:habs:stanley::hockey:

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
My order of preference to win the Cup for the remaining teams:
  • Islanders
  • Canadiens
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
  • Vegas
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
  • That's it

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I always cheer against Canadian teams who aren't the Oilers but I'm finding myself cheering for them. Meh I just hope the Oilers can snag at least one cup for McDavid and Draisaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->