Canada's Team

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, well I'm not proud of it, but there's a certain amount of resentment here for all things "Winnipeg". As a born-and-raised Winnipeg boy, it's been an eye-opener. For the most part, though, most of the hockey fans here are cheering for the Jets; there's just a disturbing Oilers presence that's always lurking around. Fortunately, we can make fun of them this year.
They can be made fun of for a decade of high draft picks and no results.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I know it's all in jest/fun, but that whole "Canada's Team" thing really is a Riders fan thing to do/say. From what I can gather from other teams HFB, Jets fans are already getting a bit of a Riders fan reputation (the whole "TRUE NORTH!" thing, etc...) so it's likely best to just play it cool. Go Jets Go!!

Being compared to Riders fans is actually a compliment. They are the best fans in the CFL, after all. ;)

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
True fact: I was in Brandon the first season we made the playoffs and the only hockey jersey I saw being worn was an Oilers one by the bloke behind the counter at I Want That Stuff. Thanks to this larger sample size I think it’s quite clear that the Jets are not #Brandonsteam

:sarcasm:

I moved to Brandon in 2003, and for the first eight years I was there, Winnipeg didn't have an NHL team, so yeah, the Oilers were the ones. These days, though, you'll see nothing but Jets sweaters around here on the NHL fans.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am the same except I definitely cheered for the Canucks.

My least favorite team is the modern Oilers. A good fan base and terrible management of almost everything. Still root for them over any American team.

I did like the 80's teams even though they ruined the Jets.

:laugh: I have a specific reason for excluding the Canucks.

Every team - including all of the non-Canadian ones have aspects to like and dislike. These things evolve over time. I generally don't give them much thought in regard to this issue.

It is full on tribal with me. I'm a Jets fan because I'm a Manitoban/Winnipeger. If the Jets are out I cheer for any Canadian team because I'm Canadian. Frankly, I can't understand any other attitude. If not for the tribalism you might just as well figure out which team is the best and adopt them as 'your' team. Not that you will have any affiliation with them because your loyalty will move to whichever team becomes better.

But that is just me. People are free to make their own choices for their own reasons. Some of them will baffle me though. :laugh: :)

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
True fact: I was in Brandon the first season we made the playoffs and the only hockey jersey I saw being worn was an Oilers one by the bloke behind the counter at I Want That Stuff. Thanks to this larger sample size I think it’s quite clear that the Jets are not #Brandonsteam

funny i was in 4 pubs full of Jets Jerseys and fans for those games. different pubs every game...so not sure what you guys are seeing.

KidShowtime

Pardy Dangles
Dec 3, 2014

So you went to a store for basement dwellers who "don't like to sport" and say shit like "yay sports team!" and you wonder why you don't see any Jets jerseys?

oookkkayyyy

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm kind of conflicted about the whole "Canada's team" thing.

I was one of those "loud and proud" Jets fans prior to 2011. I would wear Jets shirts or hats about town and while it would attract some good natured comments 'gee I hope they come back" there was a tinge of pity. Then after 2011 Jets were seen as kind of lovable losers.

And I was there at the 1995 funeral (when they thought the team was dead, even though they did come back to play one final year) and I remember the immense sadness of that day.

So, part of me feels like "You don't get to enjoy the highs of this team winning if you weren't there for all the lows".

But the other part of me knows that's stupid, and the more the merrier is the better way to live life.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
So you went to a store for basement dwellers who "don't like to sport" and say **** like "yay sports team!" and you wonder why you don't see any Jets jerseys?

oookkkayyyy

Hockey games are streamed at my LGS so thanks for the generalization.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
funny i was in 4 pubs full of Jets Jerseys and fans for those games. different pubs every game...so not sure what you guys are seeing.
So you went to a store for basement dwellers who "don't like to sport" and say **** like "yay sports team!" and you wonder why you don't see any Jets jerseys?

oookkkayyyy

Relax ladies, I was pulling your legs. :D

I spent three weeks in Brandon in January three years ago. I haven’t got a clue about who everyone actually supports.:laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
:laugh: I have a specific reason for excluding the Canucks.

Every team - including all of the non-Canadian ones have aspects to like and dislike. These things evolve over time. I generally don't give them much thought in regard to this issue.

It is full on tribal with me. I'm a Jets fan because I'm a Manitoban/Winnipeger. If the Jets are out I cheer for any Canadian team because I'm Canadian. Frankly, I can't understand any other attitude. If not for the tribalism you might just as well figure out which team is the best and adopt them as 'your' team. Not that you will have any affiliation with them because your loyalty will move to whichever team becomes better.

But that is just me. People are free to make their own choices for their own reasons. Some of them will baffle me though. :laugh: :)
From my perspective, you don't switch tribes. My loyalty lies with one, that's all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From my perspective, you don't switch tribes. My loyalty lies with one, that's all.

Fair enough. I'm a member of the Winnipeg tribe, which is a subset of the Manitoba tribe, which is a subset of the prairies tribe, which is a subset of the Canadian tribe. My loyalties are not divided but they are hierarchical. :laugh:

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
I'm kind of conflicted about the whole "Canada's team" thing.

I was one of those "loud and proud" Jets fans prior to 2011. I would wear Jets shirts or hats about town and while it would attract some good natured comments 'gee I hope they come back" there was a tinge of pity. Then after 2011 Jets were seen as kind of lovable losers.

And I was there at the 1995 funeral (when they thought the team was dead, even though they did come back to play one final year) and I remember the immense sadness of that day.

So, part of me feels like "You don't get to enjoy the highs of this team winning if you weren't there for all the lows".

But the other part of me knows that's stupid, and the more the merrier is the better way to live life.

Definitely the more the merrier. Lots of hardcore fans in this city, but the fact that thousands of casual hockey fans are going nuts in the streets and the whole city excited makes the experience better for everyone, including the hardcore "thick and thin" fans.

And know that, as a true hockey fan, experiencing the bad times will make the good times all the sweeter.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Definitely the more the merrier. Lots of hardcore fans in this city, but the fact that thousands of casual hockey fans are going nuts in the streets and the whole city excited makes the experience better for everyone, including the hardcore "thick and thin" fans.

And know that, as a true hockey fan, experiencing the bad times will make the good times all the sweeter.

Maybe it's because I left Manitoba in 2000, and so all my "loud and proud" Jets fanboyism has been in either Alberta or Yukon. So even lowly Oilers fans would feel pity when I self-identified as Jets fan pre-2011.

But for sure - I mostly need therapy when it comes to hockey fandom. Lots of room on the bandwagon.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
I have no idea what you guys are getting on with, but I generally dislike Canucks/ED/CAl because they are so far removed from the rest of canada. Leafs and Habs fans are annoying, that leaves sens and jets as teams I'll support.

Whatever mental gymnastics you want to pull the jets are likeable for a variety of reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad