Canada's Team

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
"Canada's Team" or not, it is definitely noteworthy:

This is the first time in Winnipeg hockey history that our team is the last Canadian one remaining.

Well, except for the year, pre-Jets return, when the NHL shut down for the whole season, but the Moose made a deep run in the playoffs, but I get your point.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I choose to disagree. :thumbd:

You can't name yourself 'Canada's Team'. You have to be chosen. If Canadians adopt the Jets then they are Canada's team.

I agree with you. If other Canadians say the Jets are Canada's team, then they are, but that's not what's happening. What's happening is that [some] Jets fans and [some] media are saying it, and the majority of the rest of Canada are responding with a resounding "**** you!"

The Oilers were never Canada's team. Nor were the Flames, Canucks, or Senators when they went to the finals. And that's okay. Their job is to be loved by their homebase, and hated/resented/ignored by everyone else.

I live in Brandon, and to be honest, for a lot of people here, the Jets aren't even Manitoba's team.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
This season The Finns joined us as brothers in very prescient numbers...

Yup and some of them have already used that "We are Winnipeg" avatar. I hesitated using that avatar. I mean, I have never visited Winnipeg (or Canada or even North America). You know, "Ich bin ein Berliner" (for example Usain Bolt and some US president), so why not "We are Winnipeg" for us Finns too?

I am a fan of Jets (*) and I would definitely like the city as well as it seems Laine feels at home there. But that's woulda coulda shoulda, but I'm not there, so no "We are Winnipeg" avatar for me, yet.

*) the usual story: came here for Laine, found the Jets. Jets 1.0 also was close to my heart because of Teppo Numminen, one of my favourite players.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I agree with you. If other Canadians say the Jets are Canada's team, then they are, but that's not what's happening. What's happening is that [some] Jets fans and [some] media are saying it, and the majority of the rest of Canada are responding with a resounding "**** you!"

The Oilers were never Canada's team. Nor were the Flames, Canucks, or Senators when they went to the finals. And that's okay. Their job is to be loved by their homebase, and hated/resented/ignored by everyone else.

I live in Brandon, and to be honest, for a lot of people here, the Jets aren't even Manitoba's team.

Oh really? Well bully for you guys...

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Oh really? Well bully for you guys...

Yeah, well I'm not proud of it, but there's a certain amount of resentment here for all things "Winnipeg". As a born-and-raised Winnipeg boy, it's been an eye-opener. For the most part, though, most of the hockey fans here are cheering for the Jets; there's just a disturbing Oilers presence that's always lurking around. Fortunately, we can make fun of them this year.

Reactions: roccerfeller

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Gardiner has never been an NHL D. It's always been a hopeful thing with him. I wouldn't have him on my team.
This is beyond silly and not remotely accurate. He's been one of the few useful D in a bad Toronto D group for most of his career. He was their top minutes man this year.

Saying he isn't a NHL D is flat out dumb.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Gardiner has never been an NHL D. It's always been a hopeful thing with him. I wouldn't have him on my team.

I think this is going a little too far lol, if we are feared to lose Trouba Gardiner could be an excellent buy-low candidate

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
Now that Toronto is out the Jets will finally get the attention that they deserve. I hate Boston and wanted Toronto to win initially. Eventually, I came to my senses and realized that the only way to ensure that we don't get Romanuk and Galley (I f**king can't stand Galley) was for Toronto to go down. Now the Jets will get the broadcasting and attention that they deserve. Let's beat these Preds boys! Go Jets Go!

Reactions: PiDD

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think this is going a little too far lol, if we are feared to lose Trouba Gardiner could be an excellent buy-low candidate

Gardiner is a very good offensive player but so far in his career he has not figured out the defensive side of things, he has made these types of mistakes his whole career, early on there was talk that maybe they should try him at forward because he his play in the defensive zone was below par and the thinking was that he would evolve but he has not, that being said I would not trade for him.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, well I'm not proud of it, but there's a certain amount of resentment here for all things "Winnipeg". As a born-and-raised Winnipeg boy, it's been an eye-opener. For the most part, though, most of the hockey fans here are cheering for the Jets; there's just a disturbing Oilers presence that's always lurking around. Fortunately, we can make fun of them this year.

What did you do every other year? :huh:

m.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Gardiner is a very good offensive player but so far in his career he has not figured out the defensive side of things, he has made these types of mistakes his whole career, early on there was talk that maybe they should try him at forward because he his play in the defensive zone was below par and the thinking was that he would evolve but he has not, that being said I would not trade for him.

Provorov had a terrible series and has made some mistakes as a young defenseman, do we not want any part of him now either?

Maybe Huddy and Jets system could help turn Gardiner around?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: I haven't heard any of the "**** you", but then I don't go looking for it either.

If it is national media doing it, then its legit. Local media, not so much. Same for fans.

Doesn't apply in Brandon though. You guys can bloody well get behind 'Manitoba's Team'!! :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thinking about this a bit, there is a tendency to maintain the rivalry against other teams right through the playoffs. That stands in the way of Jets, or any other team, becoming 'Canada's Team', even temporarily.

But being the only Canadian team in the Central means we don't really have any rivalries with other Canadian teams. There is a lot of lingering resentment of the Oilers that goes back 30 years to our frustration with being unable to get out of the old Smythe Division. There is the usual Canadian resentment of the 'Centre of the Universe'. There is annoyance with the COTU caused by some of the Laffs petty, insecure fans needing to put down Laine at every opportunity. But that is a fairly small subset of their fans.

Those are things we may have against those 2 Canadian teams but even they are relatively small. Personally, I just laugh at those Leafs fans who still need to prove that they made the right choice taking Matthews 1st. Just making fools of themselves. :laugh: Doesn't create any rivalry for me. Well, except for the part where I take a little extra joy every time Laine creates a little more of that insecurity in them. :laugh: I will never entirely get over the angst of losing to the Oilers year after year. But it is fading with time. As soon as we win a SC and they continue to struggle it will cease to be a thing for me.

My point is that we are not natural rivals of any Canadian team. So I don't have any trouble bandwagoning with any of them and any of their fans who want to jump aboard with us are welcome afaic.

For me, the lone exception is the Canucks. Their fans are just not very nice people. :laugh: Never mind riots. Much more importantly, my bandwagoning was rudely rejected in 2011. They said something to the effect of, 'We've waited 43 years for this and we aren't sharing it with anybody. Take your Canadian flag and get off our bandwagon'. Never mind that I was deeply wounded. They rejected Canada!

Lets not stoop to the level of a Canucks fan! Ptooi! I welcome all those who want to adopt the Jets as their playoff team. I especially invite our fellow Canadians to climb aboard. :)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: There is a thing in Manitoba called 'Perimeteritis'. Few Winnipegers are even aware of it but those of us outside the perimeter see it all the time. In fact, Winnipeg is to Manitoba as Toronto is to Canada - the Centre of the Universe. :laugh: Just look at a Manitoba road map - all roads lead to Winnipeg.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I don't think there can ever be a "Canada's Team" in hockey.
I legit hate most of the other Canadian teams and actively cheer against them.most of the time.
Agreed. Hate this media driven nonsense.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
In all seriousness who cares.
The players and the management and coaches know who our fans really are. it's the 15000 in the seats it's the 5000,9000,15000,30000+ at the street party. It's the True North shout-out at every single game home and away game.
It's the standing ovations for a 4th line plug like Thorbs his first game back after he got traded....

This town knows, the team knows exactly who their "real fans" are. Suddenly a bunch of "bandwagon fans" & media want to call us "Canada's Team"...who cares. glad to have them on board. Welcome one and all join in, buy some gear, shout as loud as you can.

Last edited:

YoyiBear

Mar 12, 2018
Being a Canadian,eh, it's an uncomfortable feeling declaring our Winnipeg Jets "Canada's Team". I always cringe when the media declare that for any canadian team. Canadians will make it so by cheering on the Jets, not by the media saying so.

Go Jets Go
Winnipeg is good

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad