WJC: Canada's Savior?

J15

Mar 18, 2009
So who do you think will step up and make the biggest difference for team Canada? My guess is Hall, he's definitely able to score and from what I've seen of him in Windsor he doesn't rely on his teammates so he should be able to step up and put the puck in the net even if the rest of his team isn't playing their best.

Eberle,Ellis and AP are also candidates IMO but what do you think?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

He was average in the pre-tournament competitions, but Nazem Kadri has a tendency to step it up in big games.
When was that?

Also imo Kadri was among Canadas worst players. Way too many turnovers and bad penalties and he didn't create a ton. He'll get better but they need to get him and cormier to play within the system.

For me I'm looking at 3 guys, Hall, Ellis and Eberle. the powerplay is a big deal in these tournaments but I think these guys can create a lot at even strength too. Yes even ellis.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
He was average in the pre-tournament competitions, but Nazem Kadri has a tendency to step it up in big games.

Hall has been Canad's best player. he's had 3 highlight reel worthy goals, not to mention missing two periods in the first game.

I'd hate to start the Kadri arguments going but personally I think he's been Canada's weak link (but that just might be because of the hype he received). Kadri obviously hasn't gotten comfortable yet and I'm afraid he might not be able to "step it up" when it counts.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
[My team's]* prospect is going to be the best in the tourney for sure!!!!!

*Note: If your team does not have a prospect playing for canada in the WJC, feel free to name Taylor Hall here.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
When was that?

"During the 2009 Ontario Hockey League playoffs, Kadri finished third on the London Knights, scoring nine goals and 21 points (9-12-21) in 14 games."

^
Straight from his NHL.com prospect profile.

I do remember something on TSN right after he was drafted saying he has a tendency to bring up his game when it counts, don't quote me on this but I remember hearing/reading it somewhere.

Not all leaf fans are full of it.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
Also imo Kadri was among Canadas worst players. Way too many turnovers and bad penalties and he didn't create a ton. He'll get better but they need to get him and cormier to play within the system.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I think we will see a different Kadri and Cormier during the tournament, however.

Exhibition is one thing, but these players realize what is on the line when they are playing for real.

As for the OP, as many others have mentioned, this year is the Eberle show.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It will be Jordan Eberle. Of that I have no doubt. Hell, even last year, we were dubbing him "Just call me Henderson" Eberle.
All that having been said, that strikes against Nazem Kadri here are severely misplaced. A previous poster who suggested that Kadri was a big game player was right on the proverbial money. Ask a Kitchener Rangers fan lifted the team in Game 7 after the Rangers blew a 3-0 series lead to Belleville in the OHL Final back in 2007-2008? But for Kadri and Azevedo, the Rangers likely creep into the Mem Cup through the back door that year.
Then flash forward to last year's playoffs. Kadri and Varone were the Knights most reliable offensive threats, ask any London fan. If memory serves, Kadri even had a four point game against the Spits in the Western Final (I'm not sure, that might have been the game that put Saginaw out in the Western Semi-Final).
While I expect Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall to have a bigger effect, I think we underestimate Nazem Kadri at our own peril.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dehaan will make a difference. He already has.

I'm not even saying that because I'm from Carp :sarcasm:

Meh, Dehaan will be great but I think Henrique will surprise everyone and be one of the best players in the tournament. He hasn't done anything pre-tournament but the Windsor line will show up. They're way too good.

Henrique. I could seriously see him being a tournament MVP.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
So who do you think will step up and make the biggest difference for team Canada? My guess is Hall, he's definitely able to score and from what I've seen of him in Windsor he doesn't rely on his teammates so he should be able to step up and put the puck in the net even if the rest of his team isn't playing their best.

Eberle,Ellis and AP are also candidates IMO but what do you think?

Personally after watching the 3 exhibition games, I think it's Henrique - he was tenacious around the net in the first two games, and Team Canada really missed that in the 3rd game vs the Czechs. I thought he was only there because of Hall but he's pretty damn good with the puck himself.

Also a difference maker is Schenn: he's like 80% in the faceoff circle for Canada so far!

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
It will be Jordan Eberle. Of that I have no doubt. Hell, even last year, we were dubbing him "Just call me Henderson" Eberle.
All that having been said, that strikes against Nazem Kadri here are severely misplaced. A previous poster who suggested that Kadri was a big game player was right on the proverbial money. Ask a Kitchener Rangers fan lifted the team in Game 7 after the Rangers blew a 3-0 series lead to Belleville in the OHL Final back in 2007-2008? But for Kadri and Azevedo, the Rangers likely creep into the Mem Cup through the back door that year.
Then flash forward to last year's playoffs. Kadri and Varone were the Knights most reliable offensive threats, ask any London fan. If memory serves, Kadri even had a four point game against the Spits in the Western Final (I'm not sure, that might have been the game that put Saginaw out in the Western Semi-Final).
While I expect Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall to have a bigger effect, I think we underestimate Nazem Kadri at our own peril.

Hmm... Yeah... about that... Were Azevedo and Kadri major parts of the team? Yes. But so were Nick Spaling, Matt Halischuk, Mike Duco and Mikkel Boedker....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad