Not open for further replies.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
NJ_Devil_Boy said:
Friesen :mad:
S. Niedermayer :bow:
Brodeur :dunno:

Brodeur is probably injured and in turn declined the invite. I dont think Nieds should have accepted either ... he just looks too damn tired.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
devildan said:
Brodeur is probably injured and in turn declined the invite. I dont think Nieds should have accepted either ... he just looks too damn tired.

could say the same for steve Staios

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Broduer probably wasn't asked because Canada already has 3 goalies and it wouldn't look good for them if they "cut" a player.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
devildan said:

I think the whole "playing with your brother for the first time since their minor hockey days" part could be an incentive. And he's RFA, and so is Rob, so they likely won't be on the same team next year, either, unless they lower the UFA age and he comes to Anaheim(I would give my arm for that to happen).

Also, about Nedved, he defected, and is considered a Canadian citizen. The Czechs refused him last year. I think he'd do good on the Canadian roster.

And how did Friesen make it. Gawd, that was the biggest disappearing act I've ever seen.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Looks like a really solid team that will be hard to score on. The only problem is that they might have a little trouble putting the puck in the net.

Lets see who joins the team over the next couple of days. Glen Murray would be a welcome addition.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
ducksflytogether said:
I think the whole "playing with your brother for the first time since their minor hockey days" part could be an incentive. And he's RFA, and so is Rob, so they likely won't be on the same team next year, either, unless they lower the UFA age and he comes to Anaheim(I would give my arm for that to happen).

Also, about Nedved, he defected, and is considered a Canadian citizen. The Czechs refused him last year. I think he'd do good on the Canadian roster.

And how did Friesen make it. Gawd, that was the biggest disappearing act I've ever seen.

How, or more correctly, why did Friesen make it? Simply put, he can skate. After years of selecting Charley Simmer type players (with their bloated NHL statistics) to successive Team Canadas, we have finally learned. The only way to succeed at the international level, is to select good skating, high tempo players. Friesen fits the bill perfectly. He is one of the most explosive skaters in the NHL who will be able to take advantage of the extra ice to initiate offensive chances and execute his defensive responsibilities. It was an excellent choice. If you are a Team Canada fan, Scott Niedermayer's decision to join the team can only be viewed with consumate glee. Niedermayer joins Boumeester, Morris and Brewer to give Canada probably its best (read: most mobile) defence that it has ever had at these World (read: European) Championships.

That is all.

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
Jyssy said:
No i dont, always thought that he is russian. Wow, has he ever even been russian?
Maybe you mixed him up with Yashin, in the Daigle-Yashin days.

peacefrogdog

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
ChesterNimitz said:
If you are a Team Canada fan, Scott Niedermayer's decision to join the team can only be viewed with consumate glee. Niedermayer joins Boumeester, Morris and Brewer to give Canada probably its best (read: most mobile) defence that it has ever had at these World (read: European) Championships.

It would be nice if either Wade Redden or Bryan McCabe get added on. One of them will be available after tonight.

kyle

Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
ChesterNimitz said:
Niedermayer joins Boumeester, Morris and Brewer to give Canada probably its best (read: most mobile) defence that it has ever had at these World (read: European) Championships.
Hence the reason for 4 Oilers on the team.

Plus Smyth is Captain Canada. I think he's got the most World Championship GP in Canadian history. Damn Edmonton and their playoff misses and 1st round exits.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ed Jovanovski or Brendan Morrison joining the team. The World Cup management team has said they look highly upon players who play in the World Championships, and with Jovanovski and Morrison likely vying for a spot on the World Cup team...

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Shane said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ed Jovanovski or Brendan Morrison joining the team. The World Cup management team has said they look highly upon players who play in the World Championships, and with Jovanovski and Morrison likely vying for a spot on the World Cup team...

Jovo = overrated .At best he is a number 5 or 6 defenceman

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Jovo = overrated .At best he is a number 5 or 6 defenceman

I don't know why you hate the Canucks so much, but your opinion is no longer valid. Maybe Jovanoski ran over your dog or something, I don't know. But, between this, the Auld thread, and every other thread where you rip on the Canucks for no apparent reason, I don't think any reasonable person, Canucks fan or not, takes you seriously anymore.

Welcome to my ignore list, population: You.

EDIT: Oh, I just discovered possibly the most hilarious thing ever. Not only do you think Jovanovski is a 5th or 6th defenceman at best, but you voted him as THE THIRD BEST defenceman in the league!

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=1188576#post1188576

So which is it buddy?

Last edited:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Shane said:
I don't know why you hate the Canucks so much, but your opinion is no longer valid. Maybe Jovanoski ran over your dog or something, I don't know. But, between this, the Auld thread, and every other thread where you rip on the Canucks for no apparent reason, I don't think any reasonable person, Canucks fan or not, takes you seriously anymore.

Welcome to my ignore list, population: You.

EDIT: Oh, I just discovered possibly the most hilarious thing ever. Not only do you think Jovanovski is a 5th or 6th defenceman at best, but you voted him as THE THIRD BEST defenceman in the league!

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=1188576#post1188576

So which is it buddy?

No problem I was a fan , but I've lost all respect for them last year after year after year of choking , and trading away Bure :shakehead It still pisses me off Soooo much talent , but Jovo is great in season , but In playoffs him and the whole team plays like a minor team , except Auld which I apologised for .

EDIT BUDDY I WAS TALKING ABOUT HIS PLAYOFF PLAY THIS YEAR .

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Russian_fanatic said:
and trading away Bure :shakehead
For Jovanovski to turn out the way he did was gravy for the Canucks. He left Florida marred in obscurity and as a one year rookie wonder. he re-established himself in Vancouver and Pavel Bure was never going to play the Canucks again anyways

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
For Jovanovski to turn out the way he did was gravy for the Canucks. He left Florida marred in obscurity and as a one year rookie wonder. he re-established himself in Vancouver and Pavel Bure was never going to play the Canucks again anyways

Exactly how did him and his giveaways help the Canucks ?

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Yes, Turco's Canadian. I don't think Jovo or Redden will be asked because I don't think team Canada will carry 8 defence or cut anyone. It'd be great to have have Morrison though. Canada needs roughly 3 more forwards (they only have 10). How about Spezza and Cooke as well? That is if they accept.

I'm surprised nothing has been heard of from Steve Sullivan he usually is there for the tournement.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Lundmark17 said:
Yes, Turco's Canadian. I don't think Jovo or Redden will be asked because I don't think team Canada will carry 8 defence or cut anyone. It'd be great to have have Morrison though. Canada needs roughly 3 more forwards (they only have 10). How about Spezza and Cooke as well? That is if they accept.

I'm surprised nothing has been heard of from Steve Sullivan he usually is there for the tournement.

his wife had a baby toward the end of the season, and he's taking some time off to be with her and his new baby daughter. scott walker also had a baby girl, and turned down an invitation for the same reason.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
Russian_fanatic said:
Exactly how did him and his giveaways help the Canucks ?

Stay out of Canadian threads if you just want to spew crap. Jovo was clutch in the Olympics and will be on the team again. You arent the coach so drop it.

Redden and Jovo make an awesome pairing so I think they should go to the WC's to prepare for hte World Cup. I dont think either is injured and Jovo missed about 25 games late in the year due to an injury so he isnt tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad