Canada's (New) Biggest Rival

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Stephen Brunt was talking about this yesterday with Bob McCowan on Prime Time Sports and he basically said that the Russians were polite, well mannered, respectful young men while the Swedish players were the exact opposite and always swearing, trash talking and down right boorish.

If you want to listen to the segment you may be able to find it on the FAN 590 website.

Thank-you. Exactly why I started this thread. I could tell this about the Swedish team from day 1 and I was continually proven right throughout the tournament. Its obvious that they have developed a strong disliking for Canada at the World Juniors to the point that they go as far as publicly expressing it. I'm sure the U.S. and Russia don't exactly love Canada either but they don't show it. They just go about their business and compete hard on the ice.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
And then the icing on the cake to Sweden's obvious discontent for the Canadians was when TSN showed a congratulatory sign that was posted on the Russian locker room door almost immediately following their gold medal win. The sign was from the Swedes congratulating the Russians on winning the gold medal, but it might as well have been sent to team Canada because they were clearly trying to rub it in their faces.

And exactly what kind of proof do you have they wouldn't have done this for the Canadians had they won the gold? Wow does that ever make you look bitter and paranoid.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
And exactly what kind of proof do you have they wouldn't have done this for the Canadians had they won the gold? Wow does that ever make you look bitter and paranoid.

Hahahah come on man give up the dream. I know you aren't gonna seriously sit here and tell me that you actually believe that Sweden has ever made up a sign and posted it on team Canada's locker room door minutes after they won the gold. Maybe a handshake at the most but nothing to that extent. They likely wouldnt have done it for Russia either had it not been over Canada and in the fashion it happened. They did it because they took some much joy in the way Canada lost that game, there is absolutely no doubt about it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Thank-you. Exactly why I started this thread. I could tell this about the Swedish team from day 1 and I was continually proven right throughout the tournament. Its obvious that they have developed a strong disliking for Canada at the World Juniors to the point that they go as far as publicly expressing it. I'm sure the U.S. and Russia don't exactly love Canada either but they don't show it. They just go about their business and compete hard on the ice.
And have you asked yourself exactly where and why this strong disliking of the general behaviour in Hockey Canada has grown forth? It's not like it one day suddenly came out of the blue. They are publicly expressing it, because it seems to have grown into a cultural agenda to set things straight. For a group people as mentally oppressed as Swedes are today, this is a pretty strong statement and won't go away.

The reason why US and Russia don't show it, is again probably cultural.
Jante Law:
Generally used colloquially as a sociological term to negatively describe an attitude towards individuality and success claimed to be common in Scandinavia, the term refers to a snide, jealous and narrow mentality which refuses to acknowledge individual effort and places all emphasis on the collective, while punishing those who stand out as achievers.
While the unspoken law doesn't exactly work this way today (it gives today strong emhpasis on humility and the word "Lagom"), This is still why there is a cold war of disprespect between especially Hockey Swedes and Hockey Canadians. Note again, this is a process that took 20 years where Hockey Swedes considered Hockey Canadians to show disrespect and contempt, while winning. ("Chicken Swedes", boasting the own superiority, boasting when winning, while expecting respect back). A sociologist would probably say it's a school book example how to really piss off Swedes.

You can ignore me if you want, but this is how things are. Respect, you earn. Hockey Sweden doesn't seem to think Hockey Canada has earned any respect lately.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Hahahah come on man give up the dream. I know you aren't gonna seriously sit here and tell me that you actually believe that Sweden has ever made up a sign and posted it on team Canada's locker room door minutes after they won the gold. Maybe a handshake at the most but nothing to that extent. They likely wouldnt have done it for Russia either had it not been over Canada and in the fashion it happened. They did it because they took some much joy in the way Canada lost that game, there is absolutely no doubt about it.

Only problem in your theory is you assume swedes have your mentality.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden

It´s all on Team Sweden eh? We all know how a "disrespected" Canadian act so i can just but wonder how the swedish team was treatet when apparently they already had disrespected Team Canada before the start of the tournament when "the disrespectful" Lander thought of USA as the favorites for the gold medal.

And, you know, it´s pretty insulting whining about how disrespected you are when the reason for it in many ways is ********. Wtf. Get off your high horses.

I'm pretty sure you insulted Sweden claiming that Lander was disrespectful.

Lehners comment was out of line. Ronnbergs naive. But, firstly, get over it, and secondly clean your own house before you rave about dust in someone elses.

If it's respect you want it's about to fly out the window.

And since respect is so important to you i will give you a tip. Find out what OTHER PEOPLE from OTHER PLACES from ANOTHER PART of the world find disrespectful.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Two can play at this game.

I know you aren't gonna seriously sit here and tell me that you actually believe that Canada has ever made up a sign and posted in on team USA/Russia/Sweden's locker room door minutes after they won gold. Maybe a handshake at the most, but nothing to that extent.

:sarcasm:

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Two can play at this game.

I know you aren't gonna seriously sit here and tell me that you actually believe that Canada has ever made up a sign and posted in on team USA/Russia/Sweden's locker room door minutes after they won gold. Maybe a handshake at the most, but nothing to that extent.

:sarcasm:

hahahaah Nor have I ever said they have. But they have never made a point to congratulate the winning team so that it intentionally rubs it in the face of the other team. Of course, the Swedish team and naive fans will deny till their dead that there is any intent in something like that, but the real truth is as clear as a blue sky. Maybe if there hadn't been so many other instances in the tournament they good have fooled us with that one...

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009

Oh well, atleast that's more respect then the Canadians payed the Swedes after the round-robin game.

Not shaking hands after a game, what a class act :shakehead

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
That Hockey Canada needs to come back to earth after too many years of binge boasting.

Why? They champion developmental success. They put a lot of money into developing players and making hockey a focus and trying to keep ourselves at the top despite other countries improving their developments.

The effort in Canada is to stay at the top and they are....and in regards to the WJC they are developing almost too well as in an NHL lockout climate like in 2005...the Canadian team in this year's WJC may have competed with 05 team as one of the best ever assembled. Seguin, Skinner, Hall, O'Reilly, Clifford, Kane, Duchene.

It's been everyone VS Canada for a while now, Gretzky said it in 02...everyone wants to beat us, everyone wants to see us lose, everyone takes shots at Canadian hockey. We don't care....we'll do everything in our power to stay at the top...and so far we have.

But why HC should stop doing anything it's currently doing I don't know. I mean the players from other countries probably come in and laugh at the attention and Canada-centricness of the WJC but without that this tournament would be held with little fan fare at all. It's all just a product of how this game is what it is because of the way Canada treats it....but that also breeds a lot of criticism...but we'll take it...the game is farther along because of it. And it's further along because the country they mock and wish to lose is the one that makes the league in which many of them aspire to play and make wealthy livings possible.

In international hockey it's supposed to be this way. I'm sure everyone around the world wishes to see the "Dream Team" lose in basketball as well....and those are the most arrogant and cocky athletes known to man. But if you make comments about us, that you wouldn't make about other nations in the same scenarios...we will laugh at you if you fail.

Sexington

Feb 6, 2007
Calgary, AB
The Russian's are Canada's historic rival and the U.S. are always a major foe but apparently the Swedes are taking it upon themselves to really get under Canada's skin. During the entire tournament the Swedes demonstrated a flat-out disrespect for team Canada. It started before the tournament even began when they came out and basically said they weren't even worried about the Canadians and that the Americans were the favourites.

It continued after the Swedes shoot-out win when the Swedish coach (with Canadian coach Dave Cameron sitting mere feet away from him) claimed that they had tougher games against the Russians and Czech's even though they won those games by scores of 2-0 and 6-3 respectively as opposed to a hard fought 5-4 shootout win over Canada.

After they lost to Russia in the semi's, goaltender Robin Lehner complained about officiating saying that the called off icing which led to the Russian's second goal "would not have happened to Canada." And then the icing on the cake to Sweden's obvious discontent for the Canadians was when TSN showed a congratulatory sign that was posted on the Russian locker room door almost immediately following their gold medal win. The sign was from the Swedes congratulating the Russians on winning the gold medal, but it might as well have been sent to team Canada because they were clearly trying to rub it in their faces.

It almost seemed as of the Swedes were going out of their way to get under team Canada's skin throughout the entire tournament and although it was rendered meaningless in the end, hopefully it is something the Canadians will remember.

This is getting ridiculous...

Canada wasn't the favorite, TSN stated this many times. What's wrong with Sweden also stating it. They very well may have had tougher games against the other opponents, don't take this as a slight to Canada. We lost to Russia and now know how tough of a game it was.

Who cares is Sweden congratulated Russia, they could've done the same thing to Canada if they would have won...

We as Canadians need some thicker skin.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
This is getting ridiculous...

Canada wasn't the favorite, TSN stated this many times. What's wrong with Sweden also stating it. They very well may have had tougher games against the other opponents, don't take this as a slight to Canada. We lost to Russia and now know how tough of a game it was.

Who cares is Sweden congratulated Russia, they could've done the same thing to Canada if they would have won...

We as Canadians need some thicker skin.

I can't speak for others but I'm not bothered by it. It's all gamesmanship, and they all want to beat us...and for good reason.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
This thread is funny. Maybe the Swedes did attempt some trash talk, doesn't really make them a rival, though. What makes them a rival is the talent they put forth. They probably were as happy as the Americans were that Canada lost (which kind of reaks of inferiority complex to me) but, that doesn't mean the sign was meant for Canada.

The sooner people realize that the talent gaps aren't that big, the sooner the arrogance and insecurity will get out of the way of what should be a celebration of the world's hockey youth and not some silly pissing contest.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
hahahaah Nor have I ever said they have. But they have never made a point to congratulate the winning team so that it intentionally rubs it in the face of the other team. Of course, the Swedish team and naive fans will deny till their dead that there is any intent in something like that, but the real truth is as clear as a blue sky. Maybe if there hadn't been so many other instances in the tournament they good have fooled us with that one...
53670526.jpg

You and some other canadians: OMG HOW CAN THEY DO THAT, THAT'S SO DISRESPECTFUL TO US!
The rest of the world: Hey, nice of them to congratulate the winners.

Though I don't think it would have happened if not brothers "Kling&Klang" were on team Sweden, they're quite spontaneous ;)

Also, for Swedes it's always been like this: The team we really want to beat is Canada, the team we really don't want to lose to is Finland.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Canadians must have serious complexity issues if they are irritated over an U-20 event, where supposedly someone had the gaul to suggest that in their own opinion ; Canada wasn't favourite, and that they decided to express it when their opinion was asked for?

Seriously, wtf is this whining about? Putting a congratulations message on Team Russia's door was absolutely a joke to wind Canada up. But it's a pretty small joke, which apparently seems to have absolutely done its intended objective ; because now you think you are disrespected?

If you're really getting annoyed about a coach saying he found Russia hardly to play against, Lander saying he considered USA to be the favourites for the event (an opinion which has plenty of merit) and a joke, then you guys are taking yourselves way too seriously to the point where it is pathetic.

Team Sweden tried to wind up Team Canada. Brilliant. News flash ; this happens everyday in every industry at every level of society in some form.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Why are you upset that everyone hates you? You bring it on yourself. Go back and read all the crap that was said on this board. I don't have a problem with it, because most Canadians can give it and take it, so it's fun, but there's some that talk crap and then get all hot and bothered when it gets shoved back in their face. "This is our house", and "this is our game", yeah well, not HSBC, and not this year. If I considered everyone that talked crap to me or about me, a rival, I wouldn't have friends or family.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Canadians must have serious complexity issues if they are irritated over an U-20 event, where supposedly someone had the gaul to suggest that in their own opinion ; Canada wasn't favourite, and that they decided to express it when their opinion was asked for?

Seriously, wtf is this whining about? Putting a congratulations message on Team Russia's door was absolutely a joke to wind Canada up. But it's a pretty small joke, which apparently seems to have absolutely done its intended objective ; because now you think you are disrespected?

If you're really getting annoyed about a coach saying he found Russia hardly to play against, Lander saying he considered USA to be the favourites for the event (an opinion which has plenty of merit) and a joke, then you guys are taking yourselves way too seriously to the point where it is pathetic.

Team Sweden tried to wind up Team Canada. Brilliant. News flash ; this happens everyday in every industry at every level of society in some form.

Yes as a people we are very complex.
:)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Why? They champion developmental success. They put a lot of money into developing players and making hockey a focus and trying to keep ourselves at the top despite other countries improving their developments.

The effort in Canada is to stay at the top and they are....and in regards to the WJC they are developing almost too well as in an NHL lockout climate like in 2005...the Canadian team in this year's WJC may have competed with 05 team as one of the best ever assembled. Seguin, Skinner, Hall, O'Reilly, Clifford, Kane, Duchene.

It's been everyone VS Canada for a while now, Gretzky said it in 02...everyone wants to beat us, everyone wants to see us lose, everyone takes shots at Canadian hockey. We don't care....we'll do everything in our power to stay at the top...and so far we have.

But why HC should stop doing anything it's currently doing I don't know. I mean the players from other countries probably come in and laugh at the attention and Canada-centricness of the WJC but without that this tournament would be held with little fan fare at all. It's all just a product of how this game is what it is because of the way Canada treats it....but that also breeds a lot of criticism...but we'll take it...the game is farther along because of it. And it's further along because the country they mock and wish to lose is the one that makes the league in which many of them aspire to play and make wealthy livings possible.

In international hockey it's supposed to be this way. I'm sure everyone around the world wishes to see the "Dream Team" lose in basketball as well....and those are the most arrogant and cocky athletes known to man. But if you make comments about us, that you wouldn't make about other nations in the same scenarios...we will laugh at you if you fail.
Just fine, we know it's your culture. It's your "it's everyone against us" and you act like it, which will ultimately create an atmosphere which holds true. If you want to get the most out of the "us against them" mentality, good for you. That you think this is how the international atmosphere should be (that's pretty evident by now), good for you.

But then don't come asking for other nations to sit in your lap and lick your shoes. You reap what you sow. Actions will have reactions, it's nothing strange. If you think you are the sole actors on an international scene which dictates how things should be, it will have consequences.

So, collectively act like pompous ******** and Swedes will mentally strangle you. Listen what other nation's fans have to say about this for crying out loud, it's pretty evident to see. It's not like they like how Canadians collectively act either.

Last edited:

AE

May 10, 2010
Just wanted to say that i agree with Chimp 100%

All Canadians should read his posts before, posting.. you'll probably get your question answered by his posts.

Chimp: Grymt skrivet, imponerad av din engelska.

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
You have 8.5 times as many hockey players than Sweden, and still only at about the same level. Imagine the players we'd have if we had 8.5 times as many players in our talent pool. Get over yourselves and try to show some humility. I know it's hard for you, but at least try.:)

As a Canadian I don't think Sweden was in any way disrespectful to our team. Lehner's comments were dumb, but he doesn't speak his team, and if that were me I'd be pretty damn angry about it too. I also find it ridiculous that anyone can take offense at a player answering a question being asked which team in the tournament he regards as the favourite.

That said, the ironing in this statement is delicious.

Jun 30, 2008
Sweden
Chimp has some great posts, especially the ones about how we Scandinavians work. If anyone thinks were acting odd, just look up the whole thing about the Jante Law. It's in our bloods, even though it in most cases is a bad thing.

MissBrightside

Mar 20, 2006
Just wanted to say that i agree with Chimp 100%

All Canadians should read his posts before, posting.. you'll probably get your question answered by his posts.

Chimp: Grymt skrivet, imponerad av din engelska.

I second this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad