Canada's Hockey Uniforms - All of them!

EVCco

Dec 16, 2012
tlh.evcco.com
The recent 100th Anniversary uniforms sported by the Canadian Junior team (and I believe, also the Spengler Cup team) got a lot of people talking, including here - and thinking, including me - about the history of the Canadian uniform. Hockey Canada's website has an interesting page addressing this (http://jerseys.hockeycanada.ca), and there's a few good articles written about the subject elsewhere. But nowhere online could I find a truly comprehensive register of all the uniforms worn by every Canadian team since the beginning, so I'm attempting one here - or, at least, a register of every primary senior men's team uniform.

This first selection is not of official Canadian teams, per se, but of important precursors. While never claiming to represent anyone but their own club, it might be argued that the Montreal AAA team who competed at the 1886 Burlington Carnival of Winter Sports, was the first side to inherit the mantle of "Team Canada" when they played the Van Ness House Club of Vermont in the world's first ever international ice hockey match. No photographic record of that team exists that I know of, but a shot of the squad from a year earlier suggests what they might have looked like. Barely visible on their sweaters is the famed "winged wheel" crest of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association (later adopted by the Detroit Red Wings), which appears more prominently in a photo from a few years later. By all accounts their colours were Blue and White. The second such "Team Canada" was the Montreal Crystals, who also played Van Ness in the same tournament, although I could find no documentation of their uniforms.

Perhaps the first hockey team to represent Canada in name (albeit, still unofficially) was not actually from Canada at all. The Oxford Canadians were formed in 1905 by Canadian students at Oxford University after being barred from joining the official school hockey club (apparently being Canadian was considered an unfair advantage). Apart from regularly dominating local English sides, the team would also go on to participate in the inaugural European Ice Hockey Championship (forerunner of today's IIHF World Championships) in 1910, being named unofficial champions of the tournament after official winners Great Britain declined to play them. According to Oxford's website (http://oxfordicehockey.com/club-heritage), the Canadians' uniforms at that tournament "consisted of blue ‘shorts’ and a white sweater with a maple leaf on the breast ... the main difficulty was to get a good design of a maple leaf as there was not even a picture of one in the village." Oxford sent another group of Canadians to the first Spengler Cup in 1923, which they also won. While they were now known only as Oxford University, their uniforms were still all-Canadian, featuring a maple leaf emblazoned with a "C". Another unofficial "Team Canada" of the age similarly consisted of ex-pats playing outside the country - the San Francisco Canadian Club team, which competed in the California Amateur Hockey Association...

16067323290_131426b77c_o.jpg

View full size: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7513/16067323290_131426b77c_o.jpg

This next batch of sweaters features the first teams to officially represent Canada on the international stage. Starting with the 1920 Olympic Games, the reigning Allan Cup champion played for the country, which led to a rather eclectic assortment of looks. There was an early attempt at bringing some sense of "uniformity" to Canada's uniforms between 1924 and 1936 (with a crest still reflected in the shoulder badge, and certain "third jerseys", of many Canadian uniforms over the past decade). However, most teams opted for some amalgamation of the Maple Leaf and their own club kit (and sometimes just their club kit, period). A uniform (or uniforms) of particular interest in this era is that of the 1959 World Championships. It would seem Canada sported 2 different designs here, one of which was perhaps the first instance of the now standard Red-White-Black colour scheme (likely owing more to the colour scheme of the Belleville McFarlands than anything else). Also of note, the "Canadas" name plate of the 1930 team, and the 1933 Sea Fleas side (thanks to greyraven8)...

16254692565_c79cc56c6e_o.jpg

View full size: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7510/16254692565_c79cc56c6e_o.jpg

1964 marked the dawning of a new age with the formation of Father David Bauer's Canadian National Team, and another attempt at uniform standardization. The program's dissolution, and the introduction of professional competition in the 1970s, however, threw all that out the window. The '72 Summit Series uniform is arguably Canada's most iconic (though some would also say most garish), and began in earnest the now familiar Red-White-Black colour scheme, defying those who would think the addition of Black to the modern uniform was merely a nod to 90s fashion (although that probably played some part as well). However, despite a continuation of this palette through the fist couple of Canada Cups (along with the addition of some Green and Gold to the downright zany 77-79 World Championship uniforms), the dominant colour scheme through this era was actually Red-White-Blue. While this scheme still surprises some, it should not surprise anyone familiar with the debates surrounding the design of the modern Canadian flag (currently celebrating its 50th anniversary), nor anyone familiar with the past uniforms pictured above...

16067316890_9cb2ccd807_o.jpg

View full size: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7465/16067316890_9cb2ccd807_o.jpg

The merging of the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association with Hockey Canada in 1994 brings us to the modern age of Canadian uniforms. And though Hockey Canada has often been criticized for subsequently branding its jerseys with their "corporate logo" (a logo, itself, often criticized as being an insipid rip-off of numerous other sports logos), they have, at least, brought some much needed consistency to the look of the national team, even while recent Olympic regulations concerning "corporate logos" have injected a modicum of variety...

16067312240_3d2b8973c0_o.jpg

View full size: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7526/16067312240_3d2b8973c0_o.jpg

Below are a few other sweaters that will be known to Canadian hockey fans, which don't quite fall under the rubric of "primary senior men's" uniforms, but are notable nonetheless...

16253846112_023da5e903_b.jpg

View full size: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7530/16253846112_023da5e903_b.jpg

...any additions/corrections/comments would be most appreciated. Which do you think were the best? Which the worst? Which the mediocre-est? And what, after all, are the true colours of Canadian hockey?

Last edited:

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Nice find. The picture of the 1932 Olympics, the Winnipeg Hockey Club, showing the 4 players, caught my eye. The 3 players that are standing includes Vic Lindquist, who is on our left. He went on to become a very good referee, who I worked many games with. In fact, when I refereed my first Jr. game they assigned him as one of my Linesmen.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Fantastic! Great find & thanks for posting it. Some great looking jerseys. Real period pieces, tracing the evolution. Wonderful resource.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Impressive collection!

Perhaps the first hockey team to represent Canada in name (albeit, still unofficially) was not actually from Canada at all. The Oxford Canadians were formed in 1905 by Canadian students at Oxford University...

Correct, but a note: the Oxford Canadian club was in fact admitted as LIHG (IIHF) member in 1911 under the name "Canada (Oxford)" and thus became the official representative of Canada in the international hockey federation prior to World War 1, at least in the eyes of the Europeans.

Last edited:

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
In the way of photos for the Sea Fleas didn't have any luck online when I wasted some time looking today.

Best I could find is a pic from Dave Holland's book "Canada on Ice"
scanned the page:

SeaFleas2_zpsed5264b4.png

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Ya, the old Sea Fleas. Ballard an avid powerboat racer in his youth. Marathons around Lake Ontario & so on which back in those days was a seriously extreme sport. Outboards & inboards prone to explode, boat construction & design rather rudimentary in terms of the speeds being demanded of them. Pretty hairy stuff. Not unlike early flight really.... But ya, Ballard through his fathers company & through associates he'd met through powerboat racing investing in hockey, he himself coaching & managing teams. Some pretty wild stories of his trip to Europe, getting thrown in jail, all kinds of debauchery, drunken rowdiness & adventures.

EVCco

Dec 16, 2012
tlh.evcco.com
Thanks for all the kudos, everyone! And special thanks to greyraven8 for that Sea Fleas scan! The date and outdoor setting leads me to think this is, indeed, a shot from the Worlds. But a quick Google image search for other pics from that tournament seems to show that it was played mostly indoors. Anyway to confirm, one way or another?

So the 2014 Olympic alternates were the first time that a Team Canada EVER took the ice without a maple leaf crest of some sort?

The first since the Allan Cup days, at least - unless you count all the little "gold medal leaves" down at the bottom.

Redbarchettayyz

Oct 30, 2009
Edmonton
Great collection of all the Canada sweaters in one place! I know the team is kind of forgotten, but my favourite Canada sweater is still the 74 WHA summit sweater. Got one at the HHOF back in 04ish, wear it during every major championship. Love the 76 and 87 CC sweaters as well, would definitely like to find one one day.

As for least favourite, I've still got to say the 2014 Olympic sweaters. The tournament and the team were an absolute treat to watch, but that hasn't softened my view on them. Maybe because I live around the corner from a Petro Canada, but I've never been able to shake that association.

Some very interesting sweaters I haven't seen before, the World Championship sweaters from 64-94 especially.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
But a quick Google image search for other pics from that tournament seems to show that it was played mostly indoors. Anyway to confirm, one way or another?

There were no indoor rinks in Czechoslovakia at that time. All the 1933 World Championship games were played at the Ice Stadium on Štvanice Island in Prague (Zimní stadion Štvanice). First artificial ice rink in Czechoslovakia. Opening ceremony of the 1938 World Championship at the same arena:

JB387c36_s2.jpg

EVCco

Dec 16, 2012
tlh.evcco.com
Last edited:

EVCco

Dec 16, 2012
tlh.evcco.com
I've updated the pics to include greyraven8's Sea Fleas pic, which I'll assume is the World Championships uniform until proved otherwise.

Very nice, thanks for sharing, the 1987 ones are my favourites.

Thanks tony... I suppose I should throw my 2 cents in on this as well. I'm going to have to go with the intermittent 1924-1936 uniforms (and the 2002-2004 third jersey reboots). I think they are the closest Canada has to a true traditional, historic uniform.

As for my all time favourite Canadian team photo, however, it has to be the 1964 Olympic squad:

source_416_107192.jpg

It looks like a poster from one of those old movies where the streetwise priest helps a local gang of kids get out of trouble through sports. Not Canada's best team, but definitely the coolest. Speaking of which, here is an alternate version of the '64 sweater I just found on the Hockey Canada site:

image_8B8258B3-CEFE-88EB-3719D80E24A01813.jpg

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Great collection of all the Canada sweaters in one place! I know the team is kind of forgotten, but my favourite Canada sweater is still the 74 WHA summit sweater.

My favorite too! I wouldn't mind having every one of those jerseys hanging in my closet though!

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I've updated the pics to include greyraven8's Sea Fleas pic, which I'll assume is the World Championships uniform until proved otherwise.

Thanks tony... I suppose I should throw my 2 cents in on this as well. I'm going to have to go with the intermittent 1924-1936 uniforms (and the 2002-2004 third jersey reboots). I think they are the closest Canada has to a true traditional, historic uniform.

As for my all time favourite Canadian team photo, however, it has to be the 1964 Olympic squad:

source_416_107192.jpg

It looks like a poster from one of those old movies where the streetwise priest helps a local gang of kids get out of trouble through sports. Not Canada's best team, but definitely the coolest. Speaking of which, here is an alternate version of the '64 sweater I just found on the Hockey Canada site:

image_8B8258B3-CEFE-88EB-3719D80E24A01813.jpg

I refereed some of their games. Winnipeg was their home base. They played a few games against Central Hockey League teams.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
There is a remarkable resemblance of the Winnipeg Jets.2 jerseys to the 1948 Olympic jerseys worn by the Ottawa RCAF Flyers.

Not by accident I guess, they've been building on the RCAF theme from the get-go:

The Canadian Press, July 2011:

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Jets have opted for a sleek fighter jet as the centrepiece of their new logo.

The design has the jet pointed north over a red Maple Leaf in a blue and grey circle.

The Jets say the new logo, developed in partnership with Reebok and the NHL, was inspired by the logo of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
1996, 1997, 2001, 2002 are some relatively recent favourites.

The 1994 Olympics jersey look kinda ugly with so many lines.

...but there are definitely some highlights over the years - I actually really like the 1963 orange jersey. A bit different but still good. Actually, all jerseys from the 60s looks nice.

The 80s jerseys were kinda bad but I think most countries had crap jerseys then.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Wow! You refereed in the Olympics, or the CHL??

They were pre-Olympic games. I was living in Winnipeg at that time and over a 35 year officiating career, I got to officiate as either a referee or linesman at every level of hockey from Pee Wee to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad