Canada's Goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taft

Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Anyone else think Glass looked a little shaky today vs. Czechs? We need to be able to count on the big save when it's needed and Glass doesn't seem like he can deliver that. You have to be able to stay focused for long periods of time even if you don't face shots so you can make the one big save for your team. I have been impressed with Beauchemin and would consider starting him for the gold medal game. Thoughts?

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
What are you talking about, oh my god Glass let in ONE goal on a two on one and he looks shaky, give me a break.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Canada's goalie does matter.....sure anyone of us could have played goal today...but what about Tuesday...facing at least 25 shots from the Russians.....Jeff Glass will not get the job done IF he is tested.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Glass has yet to be tested in this tournament and we really don't know how good he is.. Playing for team Canada against easy competition, Trevor Kidd could've stopped...most of his shots..

Glass let in a weak one against Slovakia and obviously the Olesz goal, but he does have the excuse of being pretty cold during the games.. I remember Tretiak saying that he would rather face a lot of shots during a period rather than have 3 or 4 shots against because it's important for the goalie to constantly be in action.

Glass is obviously a good goalie.. otherwise he wouldn't have been chosen as the starter, but so far in this tournament he hasn't really been tested yet, and I think considering the forwards that he'll be playing against, he'll face a few more shots on tuesday. This will be his first and only test of the tournament, and I think he's likely to do better against Russia than he did against Czech Republic and Slovakia..

That said, from what I saw of him during the Canada training camp and at the tournament, I think his level of goaltending is a notch below the likes of Leclaire and Fleury who guarded the net for Canada in the past..

BCCHL inactive

The girl I worked with today thought Glass should have been yanked because she thinks Beauchemin is hot. Her reason is about as good as any reason anybody else can come up with. :dunce:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
apparently Glass faces very few shots for his WHL team and is successful .

obviously it is a tad worrysome that Canada hasnt really been tested yet , but I think the age ,talent and experience of this team can overcome adversity if they fall behind v.s Russia on Tuesday

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Glass holds the WHL record for the longest WHL game in history.. He stopped like 68 shots in a 2-1 win.. give the guy some credit

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
I too think that since tournament start he looked shaky. He won all thye game butn never faced real opposition. He looked like he couldn't find a confort zone. Now of course you don't switch goalie before a gold medal game... but I think it has to be of some concern... even if I still think Canada will win this one with overall talent depth I'm still worried

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
Taft said:
I have been impressed with Beauchemin and would consider starting him for the gold medal game.
Yeah, that game against Germany really showed us what Beauchemin was made of, when the German players had trouble getting over the blue line... and what about the Swiss during exhibition play? Now there's a group of forwards you want to gauge your goalie against.

Gee, what an amazing display from some of you. Let's make excuses in advance, so that if Canada doesn't win we'll have a scapegoat, shall we? What a great idea.

Personally I put my faith in Brent Sutter... A little bird told me that man knows more about hockey and being a winner than all of us combined.

Last edited:

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Habs4Life said:
Glass holds the WHL record for the longest WHL game in history.. He stopped like 68 shots in a 2-1 win.. give the guy some credit

it was a 3-2 win in a quadrupal overtime game. Kootney Scored the game winner 15 minutes into the 4th overtime. Glass with 68 saves

84tiger

Dec 17, 2004
Isles72 said:
apparently Glass faces very few shots for his WHL team and is successful .

I've heard this stated over and over again since the beginning of this tournament and can't find any data to support it. Jeff is successful facing as many or more shots as any other highly regarded goalie in the the WHL. Here are the numbers for average SOG/game from the WHL website: Jeff Glass 26.3, Marek Schwartz 25.2, Rejean Beauchemin 25.7, Kevin Nastiuk 24.7, Devan Dubnyk 28. It looks to me like Jeff Glass faces his fair share of shots per game.

Assessing goaltending talent is a bit subjective but I trust the coaches and management of Team Canada know a heck of a lot more about it than the people throwing out their expert opinions on this board. Jeff Glass earned his position on this team on merit and I'm confident he will be wearing a gold medal tomorrow.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Glass may have let in a couple of weak goals but it is hard to be in nets and only get 11 shots I know this from experience. He hasn't lost any games yet and that's what his job is, not to lose the game for Canada. He's done his job so far so I wouldn't change them for the finals.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I too think that Beauchemin is better then Glass but I think that Glass is a very good goalie and will get the job done and i don't think he looked shaky because when you get 11 shots on net its hard to stay focused and make the saves look easy because you cant get into a good groove to stop the pucks. I know this because I'm a goalie and when you don't get lots of shots it's hard to make the saves look easy and not look shaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad