Canada's firepower among recent top-4 picks

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Has there ever been such domination for Canada in regards to the very top-end of each draft ?

Dating back to the Crosby draft, it seems to me Canada (the CHL) has produced a very high number of ELITE talent up front, all drafted very high, with basically no one busting.

Crosby-McDavid-Stamkos
Tavares-Duchene-Seguin
Hall-MacKinnon-Drouin
Toews-Nugent-Hopkins-R.Johansen
Bennett-S.Reinhart-Huberdeau
likely adding Dylan Strome as well to that bunch

(That's 16 elite forwards drafted in a span of 10 years).

Not only that, but their line of defense would be alright, too with Doughty, Pietrangelo, Ekblad, Ryan Murray and Carey Price who was actually drafted 5th overall...

This is a promising lineup if Canada is going to 2018 Olympics... only featuring top-4 picks ! Incredible.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Has there ever been such domination for Canada in regards to the very top-end of each draft ?
Before 1980 there were drafts that the entire first round was Canadian...

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Dating back to the Crosby draft, it seems to me Canada (the CHL) has produced a very high number of ELITE talent up front, all drafted very high, with basically no one busting.

Crosby-McDavid-Stamkos
Tavares-Duchene-Seguin
Hall-MacKinnon-Drouin

Not only that, but their line of defense would be alright, too with Doughty, Pietrangelo, Ekblad, Ryan Murray and Carey Price who was actually drafted 5th overall...

This is a promising lineup if Canada is going to 2018 Olympics... only featuring top-4 picks ! Incredible.

Monahan before Reinhart... is what I would say if the thread was about top 5 picks. And why does McDavid bump Crosby to the wing without even playing a game. He could still be a bust.

Last edited:

Aceonfire*

Monahan before Reinhart. And why does McDavid bump Crosby to the wing without even playing a game. He could still be a bust.

He could also be better than Gretzky. Saying either is purely ridiculous though. He is a safe bet to be an impact NHL player.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
He could also be better than Gretzky. Saying either is purely ridiculous though. He is a safe bet to be an impact NHL player.

I agree, but it's a little ridiculous to put him top line center and bump Crosby to a wing before the kid's even played a game.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Ummm... are any of these guys elite? Also Drouin is on there - he ain't elite yet either. Neither is Mackinnon. Or hell - Duchene hasn't been elite in two seasons in a row in his career.

You may be overstating things a bit.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014

Every year from 1963-1982.

For top-four picks, I like 1970-1974

1 HoF Perreault
1 AS Leach
2 HoF LaFleur and Dionne
(#5 Martin 2 AS-1, 2 AS-2)
1 HoF Shutt
(#5 Schoenfeld 1 AS-2)
2 HoF Potvin and McDonald
1 HoF Gilles

20 top four picks resulting in 7 Hall of Famers, 1 postseason All Star and 8 guys who played in at least one All-Star game.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Crosby-McDavid-Stamkos
Tavares-Duchene-Seguin
Hall-MacKinnon-Drouin

only 4 of the top ten scorers were canadian this year, this is a long long way from canada having the domination it once had

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
only 4 of the top ten scorers were canadian this year, this is a long long way from canada having the domination it once had

A long way? Last year the top 5 scorers in the league were Crosby, Getzlaf, Giroux, Seguin, Perry. Hall and Benn were also top ten.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Ummm... are any of these guys elite? Also Drouin is on there - he ain't elite yet either. Neither is Mackinnon. Or hell - Duchene hasn't been elite in two seasons in a row in his career.

My post was more intented to look at the *future*. I know most of these guys are not established yet. But you can't deny their potential.

Imagine those guys in 2018... you only need 9 out of that bunch to complete your top-9 (and have some more defensive-oriented players for your 4th line like Pat Bergeron).

It's scary to think that lineup has such potential, and they are only top-4 picks from the last 10 years. Imagine if we were to include everybody else... I mean on paper Canada is basically unbeatable (and they showed as such with a dominant performance at the 2014 Olympics). Even moreso now that Price is establishing himself as the top G in the world.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Crosby-McDavid-Stamkos
Tavares-Duchene-Seguin
Hall-MacKinnon-Drouin

I'd say Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Toews are the only true elite players on that list. Seguin gets an honorable mention for now. Everyone else is either too young and unproven or just really, really good.

driveway

Feb 13, 2007
Monahan before Reinhart... is what I would say if the thread was about top 5 picks. And why does McDavid bump Crosby to the wing without even playing a game. He could still be a bust.

Monahan was taken 6th. Lindholm went to Carolina at 5.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

MacKinnon is all but elite, as is Duchene. Also, Bennett was drafted last year.

McDavid isn't elite because he hasn't played yet, by your logic.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Canada produces good hockey players. What's next? USA producing basketball and football players? Europeans and South Americans producing good soccer players???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad