Canada's Defense pairings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossroads*

Thunderstruck said:
Crossroads,

When the president of the McCabe fan club (Big Mamma) admits that I'm painting an accurate picture, I feel no need to produce more quotes.

If you have been following the team and listening to Quinn's interviews, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Produce more quotes to prove that Quinn has been consistently critical of McCabe. Every coach points out errors but I have not seen Quinn consistently critisize McCabe to the media.

SENSible1*

Crossroads said:
Produce more quotes to prove that Quinn has been consistently critical of McCabe. Every coach points out errors but I have not seen Quinn consistently critisize McCabe to the media.
Produce them yourself.

If you think I'm going to spend my day looking up articles over the use of the word consistently you've got another thing coming. If it makes you happier, read the sentence with the word "frequently" in place of consistently.

Quinn called him out after both the Tampa and Washington games in the last week and a half alone.

PapaBear*

Big Mama said:
McCabe - Redden first pairing

Pronger-Reghr defensive pairing

Blake- Foote are the third pairing.

i wouldnt put reggie and pronger together. if mccabe plays, he has to be with our most steadiest, which is pronger.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
My god, contrary to popular belief, Bryan McCabe is not a huge liability every time he steps on to the ice, so can we stop going on as if he is? Last time I checked Ed Jovonovsky was a lot more prone to giving it away in his own end, and a lot less likely to take the body - I never saw any threads demanding he be glued to the bench as a 7th defender.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Garbs said:
My god, contrary to popular belief, Bryan McCabe is not a huge liability every time he steps on to the ice, so can we stop going on as if he is? Last time I checked Ed Jovonovsky was a lot more prone to giving it away in his own end, and a lot less likely to take the body - I never saw any threads demanding he be glued to the bench as a 7th defender.

See with McCabe it's more then the givaways, it's also inability to stay on the guys he's supposed to be covering, or to pick up the guys he has to cover. He's spends to much time watching the puck and not enough time watching the play.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
I've said this before, but I think McCabe will fare better than many people think. Team Canada is not the Leafs (Thank God), and unlike in Toronto, McCabe will not be expected to do everything. With Canada, he'll also likely be paired with somebody who is much more solid defensively than Tomas Kaberle (great offensively but not what you would call a tower of strength). He'll be used less with Canada, and should be able to pick his spots more responsibly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
McCabe should defenitely be paired with Foote or Reghier if not used as the 7th d man. But he should be the guy quarter backing the powerplay no one can shoot it like he can from the point other then Kovalchuk.

p.s Redden plays the left point I honestly dont think he has ever played the right side for Ottawa.

Pronger Blake
Redden Regher
Bouwmeester/McCabe Foote

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
I am happy for any combination where MaCabe doesnt dress or sits on the bench the whole game

PapaBear*

Is mccabe really that good QB'ing a PP? I know he can shoot, but i dont know if i would say "no one else can shoot like he can"

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
PapaBear said:
Is mccabe really that good QB'ing a PP? I know he can shoot, but i dont know if i would say "no one else can shoot like he can"

Its always on net its always hard and its always 6 to 10 inches off the ice. He can also get his shot off no matter where the pass is coming from. He is incredible at adjusting his body to the shot I have never seen anyone do it aswell as McCabe. It rarely ever gets blocked. This is coming from a sens fan too guys.

I also think McCabe gets a pretty hard time on these boards he is a better all around defenseman then people give him credit for. I think the fact that he occasionally plays dirty and mouths off alot have turned people the wrong way about him. That and he plays for the leafs. But if you look at just his play on the ice he is quite the outstanding defenseman. Every d man makes mistakes once in a while no one is perfect (well maybe with the exception of Lidstrom) its just that McCabe has leaf nation behind him so his mistakes are magnified.

Big Mama*

PapaBear said:
i wouldnt put reggie and pronger together. if mccabe plays, he has to be with our most steadiest, which is pronger.

I think if Pronger is on PP then Pronger-McCabe is a natural pairing. Pronger is a good passer and will probably be on first PP unit. If it is Redden on first PP unit then I was thinking Redden- McCabe.

The PP will need some chemistry between players. Those guys will probably have to play together.

IMHO Redden- McCabe are having the best seasons. Certainly statistically they are.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Canada's Defense pairing that would give the team the best chance at gold.

Even Strength
Pronger-Redden
Foote-Blake
Regehr-Bouwmeester

McCabe

Shorthanded
Pronger-Redden
Foote-Regehr
Blake-Bouwmeester

McCabe=bench

Powerplay
McCabe-Redden