Canadas defense pairings confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
thome_26 said:
You obviously haven't seen Brewer play very much. He isn't even close to being consistent enough - I agree, and as an Oiler fan that's the one thing I hate about him. But there is a reason he led Canadian defensmen in goals at the Olympics - and it's not because he's a mediocre offensive player. The part I'm comparing to Blake are the rushes..... they're both big and skate very well and can handle the puck and shoot. They both can recover excellently after a rush as well. Actually, that was displayed last year when Brewer rushed the puck up the ice against Vancouver in Edmonton during overtime and pretty much single-handedly won that game for Edmonton (I think he played all but one 30 second shift of the O.T.)

And yet Brewer's career high of 8 goals doesn't really stack up at all to Blake's pedigree. Blake averages 16+. One might say that averaging more than double another's production is a significant difference. In fact I'd say everybody outside of Edmonton would say it.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Flames Draft Watcher said:
And yet Brewer's career high of 8 goals doesn't really stack up at all to Blake's pedigree. Blake averages 16+. One might say that averaging more than double another's production is a significant difference. In fact I'd say everybody outside of Edmonton would say it.

You didnt' read my post did you? First off, Brewer is 25, and it's extremely unlikely we've seen close to a career high out of him. Secondly - if he has major consistency problems (as I stated) that would obviously lead to the lower season totals. He didn't get picked because of his consistency. He was picked because if he's on his game he'll be a top four Dman for Canada.... if he's not on his game then he'll shift between third pairing and pressbox. Anybody who watched Brewer down the stretch this year knows he belongs and has high end ability. The other people simply look at his stats and think of the 2-3 games they seen him play last year which hardly gives an adequate ability to judge how he could help Canada.

Gainey23

Aug 17, 2004
SedinFan said:
Yet it's played on NHL regulation ice surface, so you take Hannan. Brewer's not even half the player Hannan is.

either you're anti-Edmonton Oilers or you've hit your head.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
edmonton is one of my favourite teams...but come on...at their best Jovanovski is clearly better than Brewer. the problem with both of them is they're a little inconsistant

complex shmomplex. if you think your team get's bashed at every available opportunity, try being a Leaf fan (every playoffs since 1967 has been rigged, by the way) ;)

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
i dont really know what the defense pairings will be but people seem to think that hannan will b in them......the only way that will happen is if someone screws up big because hannan and bouwmeester were added as replacements meaning that they werent good enough to make the original team whereas brewer/reghr were....

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
i too would like to see Jovanovski paired with Redden. it would allow Jovo to take on a more offensive role, something that's needed with the loss of Blake. it would also have Jovo back on his proper side.

Niedermayer - Foote
Redden - Jovanovski
Hannan - Regehr

these are what i would like to see. no disrespect to Brewer, however i'd prefer the 3rd pairing to be a gritty shutdown pairing first and foremost.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
if u guys don't think brewer is good u should have seen how bad edmonton was when he got hurt, he is a good puck rusher very big and strong and is starting to make better decisions, he is not as good as jovo but pretty darn close he is better then hannan i see no reason to get rid of him

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
PapaBear said:
Niedermayer-Reghr
Redden-Foote
Jovo-Brewer
Hannan-Bowmeester

Hmm, I dont like the 3rd pairing. I would play Hannan over Brewer anyday. I think the loss of Blake and Pronger will affect the team more so than ppl think.

I completely agree. The lines I would have would be...
Redden - Niedermayer
Hannan - Foote
Regehr - Jovanovski

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Hemsky83 said:
Not in order but these were the pairings

Redden-Jovovski
Foote-Brewer
Niedermayer-Regehr
Bouwmeester-Hannan

I like Redden-Jovo if a little of Jovo's hitting-agressive style could rub off on Redden and a liitle of Redden's defensive responsibility/intelligence could rub off on Jovo, they would be pretty much a perfect defensive pairing that could be used in all situations.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Somebody please stab me in the face with a butter knife.

I cant believe what Im reading. I got 1 word for all of you guys sitting here whining, complaining and debating...that one word is GOLD!

I dont care if E. Brewer is the no. 1 defenseman, the no. 8 defenseman or if a Brewer gets injured and replaced by a short necked giraffe. If we win GOLD, who cares about this banter.

Brewer was selected as part of the original squad for his success and experience in international competition...he will be given every oppertunity to succeed, and if one of the youngsters take advantage of the oppertunity and steal his job, then all is fair, end of story, now everybody shut up and go paint your faces, we got a Championship to win. :yo:

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
Well, I'm not Canadian, I'm American, so that doesn't apply. Those were the pairings that I feel would fit best, though Redden-Jovo is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad