Canada's biggest rival all-time? Past and present

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Is it the Americans now? Or is it still the Russians past and present?

When you examine the WJC even in recent history (lets say since 2000) there is little doubt the Russians are our fiercest enemy. There has been 6 gold medal games between the two countries and then there was 1998 and 1999, both overtime elimination games.

At the top level Canada and Russia have lacked what Canada/USA has recently. The Americans have met us in the final in 1996, 2002 and 2010. All games/series being classics. Canada/Russia actually didn't meet in 1998 or 2002 somehow and not until 2010 did they play a meaningful game with each other outside of the round robin. It had been since 1987 for that.

In the World Championships Canada/Russia still is tops in my opinion. The Americans are never competitive enough to make noise.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The quarterfinal game in the 2006 Winter Olympics wasn't a "meaningful game"? Ooookay.

I mean, it was hardly a classic and later Russia totally chocked too (vs. Finland in the semifinal), but it meant at least something.

Corey Perry*

In a way, America has always been rival #1. America may not have had such great teams and players back then, but outside of hockey, American overshadowed Canada in many other ways, and hockey was the one thing Canada did better. Canada does a lot of great things, but America is a bigger, more economically powerful country that is always overshadowing it's brother to the north.

I'm not saying America is better in any way, just I feel like Canadians think Americans are kinda cocky and stuff.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
I would think it's Russia today. Canada - Russia games are always entertaining.

All time? Soviets are Canada's greatest rival and it's not even close.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Soviet and Russia both past and present. The olympic final might change that a bit if USA can stay on top but its still russia who is the real enemy.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
I voted for Russia all-time, or at least the Soviet Union:
Summit Series, Canada Cup finals in 1981 and 1987, the semis in 1984 were best-on-best events that took Canada to the limit, or in 1981 saw the Soviets win.

From 1991-now it's been Team USA though.
1991 CC, 1996 & 2004 World Cups, 2002 & 2010 Olympics.

I think that 1972 and 1987 were more significant so I went with Russia, all-time.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Past: USSR. From the first crucial game in the World Championships (May 1954) to the last games of the Super Series (January 1991).

Present: USA. From the 1991 Canada Cup to the 2010 Olympics.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
For me, Russia then and Russia now. For the most part, America reminds me of what Ottawa used to be to the Leafs, the annoying kid brother that nipped at your heels and that you would turn away time and time again without a whole lot of effort. I don't even get particularly excited for a game versus the US. I love facing Russia every time.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
The quarterfinal game in the 2006 Winter Olympics wasn't a "meaningful game"? Ooookay.

I mean, it was hardly a classic and later Russia totally chocked too (vs. Finland in the semifinal), but it meant at least something.
It meant the same as in 2010 but apparently games are less "meaningful" when Canada doesn't win.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For me, Russia then and Russia now. For the most part, America reminds me of what Ottawa used to be to the Leafs, the annoying kid brother that nipped at your heels and that you would turn away time and time again without a whole lot of effort. I don't even get particularly excited for a game versus the US. I love facing Russia every time.

Even though on paper Canada mopped the floor with the USA (honestly it should have been a blowout when you look at the lineups) the Americans pushed us to the limit in 2010. So I wouldn't have called it "without a whole lot of effort." In general I can agree with you when we talk about the WJC. Rarely does Canada lose those games.

No, my mistake. 2006 was just so forgettable for both countries, especially Canada. A quarterfinal game is meaningful for sure, a terrible, terrible game played by Canada that day and for the whole tournament.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
USA when games are played in NA.
Russia wherever the games are played.
So I chose Russia.

Historically the USA never seems to play well on the big ice. They need to pick that up.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Even though on paper Canada mopped the floor with the USA (honestly it should have been a blowout when you look at the lineups) the Americans pushed us to the limit in 2010. So I wouldn't have called it "without a whole lot of effort." In general I can agree with you when we talk about the WJC. Rarely does Canada lose those games.

I am talking in general (as in all tournaments and levels). Sure they'll win once in a blue moon but I still have a hard time taking them seriously. There's just something I look forward to when facing the Russians.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad