Canada wants to limit Americans playing in the CHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
arnie said:
It's just more proof that the Canadians are the pettiest people on earth. The US colleges opens its door to Canadian hockey, basketball and football players and the Canadian whine about having a few Americans. Likewise, they keep Europeans out of junior and then go over to Europe and take hockey jobs away from the locals.

They really are a petty, whiney bunch.

that's a pretty silly blanket statement, man. most of the canadians in this thread are against this happening. this is a few, worriwart nationalists, not the mouthpiece of the canadian people on the whole :shakehead

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
I may be missing something in the article, but I don't see the point of limiting US players without limiting europeans as well.
I agree, I you want to limit the number of non canadian players, limit the euros as well.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
arnie said:
It's just more proof that the Canadians are the pettiest people on earth. The US colleges opens its door to Canadian hockey, basketball and football players and the Canadian whine about having a few Americans. Likewise, they keep Europeans out of junior and then go over to Europe and take hockey jobs away from the locals.

They really are a petty, whiney bunch.

Yeah, you're right. If only we could avoid pettiness. Like you did in this post. Some day, Some day.

Reilly311

Rabid Ranger said:
Get rid of all the U.S. based CHL teams and you have a point.

lol, if anything they need to add more american teams. Check some of the attendance numbers. :lol

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
xander said:
The amateur/profesional thing holds for all NCAA sports, not just hockey. If hockey canada thinks the NCAA upholds this rule just to keep canadian players out of college hockey then they're being pretty paranoid. Why would the NCAA put a rule in place that effects all it's sports, including football and basketball, which bring in alot more money for the NCAA than hockey does, just to ensure that a few canadians can't play?

But then why does the NCAA allow football players who play junior football in Canada, which operates on pretty much the same system as junior hockey, to join NCAA teams? I've even known guys who've attended pro (CFL) training camps while on a junior football roster and then gone on to NCAA teams with no eligibility problems.

The answer is, the pool of Canadian football players is so tiny that it has no real impact on US college football. The same isn't true for hockey.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Lard_Lad said:
But then why does the NCAA allow football players who play junior football in Canada, which operates on pretty much the same system as junior hockey, to join NCAA teams? I've even known guys who've attended pro (CFL) training camps while on a junior football roster and then gone on to NCAA teams with no eligibility problems.

The answer is, the pool of Canadian football players is so tiny that it has no real impact on US college football. The same isn't true for hockey.

hmm, I have no idea. I really don't know much about canadian junior football.

If they are paid like CHL kids then I have to admit that its pretty hypocritical.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Rabid Ranger said:
The arrogance of some people around here really astounds me from time to time. :shakehead

Better look in the mirror. :shakehead

There aren't that many elite Non-Canadian players that taking them away would hinder the league, it's competitive play, or the popularity of the league in Canada.

You can't put a limit on American players on an American team, obviously eliminating the American teams would be a necessity - but not much of a problem either.

The point here is that Hockey Canada is tired of developing the talent of other nations. What's wrong with that? Of course there are obstacles but from a Canadian perspective, those obstacles are worth it because at the end of the day, this is a Canadian developmental league with the original intent (of which they'd like to return to) of developing Canadians. We want to stay on top - that's no different than any other nation wanting the best for it's own citizens.

As for people talking about a lack of talent in the CJAHL, about 1/4 of the players currently playing in the prized American NCAA are recruits from CJAHL leagues - that's the BCHL, AJHL, SJHL and to some extent even the MJHL and Atlantic leagues. Hobey Baker award winner Junior Lessard anyone?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
BigE said:
Better look in the mirror. :shakehead

There aren't that many elite Non-Canadian players that taking them away would hinder the league, it's competitive play, or the popularity of the league in Canada.

You can't put a limit on American players on an American team, obviously eliminating the American teams would be a necessity - but not much of a problem either.

The point here is that Hockey Canada is tired of developing the talent of other nations. What's wrong with that? Of course there are obstacles but from a Canadian perspective, those obstacles are worth it because at the end of the day, this is a Canadian developmental league with the original intent (of which they'd like to return to) of developing Canadians. We want to stay on top - that's no different than any other nation wanting the best for it's own citizens.

As for people talking about a lack of talent in the CJAHL, about 1/4 of the players currently playing in the prized American NCAA are recruits from CJAHL leagues - that's the BCHL, AJHL, SJHL and to some extent even the MJHL and Atlantic leagues. Hobey Baker award winner Junior Lessard anyone?

if they weren't fit for the jobs, they wouldn't be on the teams. if you add up all the american and european players in the CHL, it turns out to be a sizable number. replace those kids with canadian kids that otherwise would not have made the teams...and you don't think it will make a difference? you really are nervous here, huh?

Well, maybe you should be, because it's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->