Canada wants to host WJC every 3 years. Good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Last edited:

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
As a canadian I think that would be awesome. However I do believe that it might be better for hockey in general that WJC be played to several places.

leafaholix*

jacklours said:
As a canadian I think that would be awesome. However I do believe that it might be better for hockey in general that WJC be played to several places.
Why... so that 200 people come out to watch the teams not including Canada and the host country?

I doubt having the WJC in Finland, US, Slovakia, Russia, etc... has a major impact compared to having it in Canada.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The problem is the tournament isn't very popular elsewhere. Crowds in Sweden, Finland etc, pale to what we manage here.

So yes, it's a good idea to have it here a lot. Probably don't need to formalise it to once every x years, however.

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Good for sure. Everywhere else it seems that the same level of support is just not there for many of the games. Really, how many Euro countries could host it? Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, Russia, Germany, Czech Rep, Switzerland. I don't think Belarus or Ukraine could ever host it. Once every three years for Canada would mean that these countries would get to host it about once every ten years.

How about winner gets to host it? :P

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i like the tournament to be played in every country. the only issue comes up if the host country can't fill the stands

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Carl O'Steen said:
Why... so that 200 people come out to watch the teams not including Canada and the host country?

Agree with this

Even games for the home team have trouble selling out, and a lot of the time they won't

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:

I doubt having the WJC in Finland, US, Slovakia, Russia, etc... has a major impact compared to having it in Canada.

I couldn't agree more...sell the place out and make some money instead of going elsewhere where the stands are not even half full.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
What about the home turf effect? WJC every three years in Canada would mean a significant benefit for Team Canada. How do people feel about that?

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
I don't think its a big benefit.. Canada has lost the last 2 WJC's at home.

The reason it should be done is because, up until this last tourney, no WJC outside of Canada has ever been profitable.. and of course if this one is it was thanks to all the Canadians coming done. You can't keep running an unprofitable tournament all the time.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
As far as I know this is the first WJHC ever to make a profit not being held in Canada, and it kinda was.

In terms of home ice advantage, sure it benefits Canada, but if the tourney loses $$$ 5 years in a row from being in other countries, there might be another tourney. As with everything $$$$ makes this tourney happen.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Reilly311 said:
Why even have a tournament at all then?
What does that even mean?

Anyway, I'd be all for it. It's had its chance in the other countries, and will continue to do so. But I don't think it would hurt anyone to have it in Canada every three years.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
IMO it should be fairly spread out as long as the building can come close to selling out the crowd. If it's going to look like an Expos game, then they shouldn't get it. If it's 3/4 or more full, then they should get an equal shot. Canada shouldn't receive a special privledge that US, Finland, Russia, Czech, Slovaks, etc.. don't get.

Feb 24, 2004
I think, and this is just a theory so work with me here, that if Great Britain ever made there way up to the top tier and got to host a tournament like the WJC, I think that might do quite well because of the many countries which probably have citizens living there.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
leafs4thecup said:
I think, and this is just a theory so work with me here, that if Great Britain ever made there way up to the top tier and got to host a tournament like the WJC, I think that might do quite well because of the many countries which probably have citizens living there.

It's not as far-fetched as you think. They actually won medals in the distant past :) Soccer is such an obstacle though, sucking all the talent there, that I doubt they can make it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Canada has hosted it every 4th year since 1991 in Saskatoon. (1995 - Red Deer, 1999 - Winnipeg, 2003 - Halifax). This will be the first three-year cycle, and that only came as a trade-off for waiting a year to host the World Championships.

Hosting the tournament every three years does make sense from an attendance/interest perspective. Canada is the only country that really gets behind this. Not only do we support our own games, we pack the barns for Switzerland vs. Sweden. This tournament draws flies in Europe. Too many Europeans still think the World Championship is the big tourney. Oh, the veil of ignorance is hard to remove. Until other countries give this tournament half the support that Canada provides, it would be a good idea to have it in the best hockey nation in the world every three or four years.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
If Canada wants to hold it every 3 years...then it would only be fair that USA held it every 3 years...which then would be VERY unfair for every other country. Dont like the idea at all. Its greedy..I understand Canada will always have the biggest turnout but you still have to think of other people as well. If USA proposed this I would also be against it so dont think im just saying this because Canada wants it....though if they had to choose one country to host it every 3 years i would pick canada.

Elite09

Mar 9, 2004
The reason it will and should be in Canada is looking ahead to Vancouver, where Canada will play at least five games (four round robin and at minimum the quarter final) at GM place. All those games will sell out at 18,000+. What was the total attendence this year and in other countries? All we are counting here are the five games of Canada, not any of the other ones.

I was at the game in 95 (in Calgary) where we had over 17,000 in the Saddledome in a game between Canada and the Czech. One of the best experiences of my life.

Every three years seems fair.

leafaholix*

wilka91 said:
Basically every major hockey event takes place in North America ... of course, everyone here is going to tell me that home ice advantage doesn't exist, but from what I've seen, the USA, and especially Canada are almost unbeatable at home. So I guess you XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (censored) up your ass.

Got it?
When was the last time either country won at home?

?

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Seachd said:
But I don't think it would hurt anyone to have it in Canada every three years.

Of course it hurts! It hurts me for example, I'll have to watch all the games in the middle of the night!

chicpea*

wilka91 said:
So I guess you XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (censored) up your ass.

Got it?

No. :dunno:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Carl O'Steen said:
When was the last time either country won at home?

?

Oh yeah because yesterday's game was not a home game? Even if not on Canadian soil, it was like any other home game for Canada ... and you know it.

Another? World Cup 2004.

And we know how well Canada plays with momentum ... it's the country that always best used the momentum and the crowd.

That's why there should be more major tournaments in other countries ... Turin 2006 :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad