Canada wants to host WJC every 3 years. Good/bad?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by RorschachWJK, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. RorschachWJK

RorschachWJK Registered User

Researcher, freshw. ecol.
    http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=109957&hubName=world_jrs

While I understand that Canada is the home of hockey, my opinion is that Canada should not get to arrange the WJC every three years. Globally speaking, I think it is better for hockey as a game, that the 'minor' hockey countries get a chance to arrange the WJC rather frequently. With Hockey Canada's plan that would not be the case. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  2. jacklours

jacklours Registered User

As a canadian I think that would be awesome. However I do believe that it might be better for hockey in general that WJC be played to several places.

3. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Why... so that 200 people come out to watch the teams not including Canada and the host country?

I doubt having the WJC in Finland, US, Slovakia, Russia, etc... has a major impact compared to having it in Canada.

4. PecaFan

PecaFan Registered User

Home Page:
    The problem is the tournament isn't very popular elsewhere. Crowds in Sweden, Finland etc, pale to what we manage here.

So yes, it's a good idea to have it here a lot. Probably don't need to formalise it to once every x years, however.

5. Venom_17

Venom_17 Registered User

Home Page:
    Good for sure. Everywhere else it seems that the same level of support is just not there for many of the games. Really, how many Euro countries could host it? Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, Russia, Germany, Czech Rep, Switzerland. I don't think Belarus or Ukraine could ever host it. Once every three years for Canada would mean that these countries would get to host it about once every ten years.

How about winner gets to host it? :P

6. arrbez

arrbez bad chi

i like the tournament to be played in every country. the only issue comes up if the host country can't fill the stands

7. kmad

kmad riot survivor

Agree with this

Even games for the home team have trouble selling out, and a lot of the time they won't

8. Venom_17

Venom_17 Registered User

Home Page:
    Oops, and USA, of course.

9. Schenn02

Schenn02 Registered User

Home Page:
    I couldn't agree more...sell the place out and make some money instead of going elsewhere where the stands are not even half full.

10. RorschachWJK

What about the home turf effect? WJC every three years in Canada would mean a significant benefit for Team Canada. How do people feel about that?

11. BAuldie

BAuldie Registered User

I don't think its a big benefit.. Canada has lost the last 2 WJC's at home.

The reason it should be done is because, up until this last tourney, no WJC outside of Canada has ever been profitable.. and of course if this one is it was thanks to all the Canadians coming done. You can't keep running an unprofitable tournament all the time.

12. ryz

ryz Registered User

As far as I know this is the first WJHC ever to make a profit not being held in Canada, and it kinda was.

In terms of home ice advantage, sure it benefits Canada, but if the tourney loses $$$ 5 years in a row from being in other countries, there might be another tourney. As with everything $$$$ makes this tourney happen.

13. Reilly311

Reilly311 Guest

Why even have a tournament at all then?

14. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    What does that even mean?

Anyway, I'd be all for it. It's had its chance in the other countries, and will continue to do so. But I don't think it would hurt anyone to have it in Canada every three years.

15. Barnaby

Barnaby Registered User

IMO it should be fairly spread out as long as the building can come close to selling out the crowd. If it's going to look like an Expos game, then they shouldn't get it. If it's 3/4 or more full, then they should get an equal shot. Canada shouldn't receive a special privledge that US, Finland, Russia, Czech, Slovaks, etc.. don't get.

16. The Legend

The Legend GW

I think, and this is just a theory so work with me here, that if Great Britain ever made there way up to the top tier and got to host a tournament like the WJC, I think that might do quite well because of the many countries which probably have citizens living there.

17. RorschachWJK

It's not as far-fetched as you think. They actually won medals in the distant past :) Soccer is such an obstacle though, sucking all the talent there, that I doubt they can make it.

18. God Bless Canada

God Bless Canada Registered User

Newspaper reporter
    Canada has hosted it every 4th year since 1991 in Saskatoon. (1995 - Red Deer, 1999 - Winnipeg, 2003 - Halifax). This will be the first three-year cycle, and that only came as a trade-off for waiting a year to host the World Championships.

Hosting the tournament every three years does make sense from an attendance/interest perspective. Canada is the only country that really gets behind this. Not only do we support our own games, we pack the barns for Switzerland vs. Sweden. This tournament draws flies in Europe. Too many Europeans still think the World Championship is the big tourney. Oh, the veil of ignorance is hard to remove. Until other countries give this tournament half the support that Canada provides, it would be a good idea to have it in the best hockey nation in the world every three or four years.

19. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    If Canada wants to hold it every 3 years...then it would only be fair that USA held it every 3 years...which then would be VERY unfair for every other country. Dont like the idea at all. Its greedy..I understand Canada will always have the biggest turnout but you still have to think of other people as well. If USA proposed this I would also be against it so dont think im just saying this because Canada wants it....though if they had to choose one country to host it every 3 years i would pick canada.

20. Elite09

Elite09 Registered User

The reason it will and should be in Canada is looking ahead to Vancouver, where Canada will play at least five games (four round robin and at minimum the quarter final) at GM place. All those games will sell out at 18,000+. What was the total attendence this year and in other countries? All we are counting here are the five games of Canada, not any of the other ones.

I was at the game in 95 (in Calgary) where we had over 17,000 in the Saddledome in a game between Canada and the Czech. One of the best experiences of my life.

Every three years seems fair.

21. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

When was the last time either country won at home?

?

22. MaV

MaV Registered User

Spin doctor
    Of course it hurts! It hurts me for example, I'll have to watch all the games in the middle of the night!

23. chicpea*

chicpea* Guest

No. :dunno:

24. wilka91*

wilka91* Registered User

Oh yeah because yesterday's game was not a home game? Even if not on Canadian soil, it was like any other home game for Canada ... and you know it.

Another? World Cup 2004.

And we know how well Canada plays with momentum ... it's the country that always best used the momentum and the crowd.

That's why there should be more major tournaments in other countries ... Turin 2006 :yo:

25. Kronblom

Kronblom Registered User

Finland 1998
    Canada 1995
    Canada 1991
    Sovietunion 1983
    Canada 1982

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.