Canada vs USA in New Zealand July 2011

billycanuck

http://www.nzicehockey.com/

Interesting news out of New Zealand last week where a company called the Douglas Webber Group are brining in some NHL talent to play a three game series in New Zealand. Games will be played in Auckland, Christchurch, and Dunedin.

Two players already announced to play are Kyle Quincy (Colorado) and Rob Schremp (NY Islanders).
http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/ice-hockey/148041/ice-hockey-top-class-game-coup-dunedin

More NHL players will be announced at a later date.

Of course, with the latest tragic news out of Christchurch, no word yet on how badly damaged the arena was. Too early to speculate if this event will change.

billycanuck

Update on this event

Well, might not be what it is announced to be. Wrote up an update on the latest findings about this event. Read Here

Seems like it is a 'anyone allowed to play event' who wants to spend $3200.00 to go to NZ for a few days. But the cost to watch these games is $145 CDN! :amazed:

Zacivich

May 26, 2010
Hawera, New Zealand
I am super psyched for this. I'm leaving Calgary for my native New Zealand in about three weeks and the lack of hockey was a major worry. I hear the Christchurch game has been moved to Queenstown due to the arena being ruined in the Earthquake.

For a country of 4 mil with no ice and three rinks in the country, we have 1500 registered players. We got promoted to Div 2 this year, I know we won't be pushing for the olympics any time soon but if we manage to get the NHL on tv, thats enough for now.

BTW, New Zealand holds the worst loss in hockey history. Look it up. :shakehead

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
I am super psyched for this. I'm leaving Calgary for my native New Zealand in about three weeks and the lack of hockey was a major worry. I hear the Christchurch game has been moved to Queenstown due to the arena being ruined in the Earthquake.

For a country of 4 mil with no ice and three rinks in the country, we have 1500 registered players. We got promoted to Div 2 this year, I know we won't be pushing for the olympics any time soon but if we manage to get the NHL on tv, thats enough for now.

BTW, New Zealand holds the worst loss in hockey history. Look it up. :shakehead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea_men's_national_ice_hockey_team

"The team holds the record of the largest victory in the sport . South Korea beat Thailand in the 1998 Asia-Oceania Junior Championships almost unbelievably 92-0"

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
As a NZ born, canadian raised hockey fanatic. I think this is very very cool. I really do believe Ice Hockey could grow in NZ one day, definetely the kind of sport I could see the Kiwis supporting.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Well, might not be what it is announced to be. Wrote up an update on the latest findings about this event. Read Here

Seems like it is a 'anyone allowed to play event' who wants to spend $3200.00 to go to NZ for a few days. But the cost to watch these games is $145 CDN! :amazed:

Wow, that link, if accurate, makes it sound awfully dodgy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->