Canada vs The United States of America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
If Canada wins it is definitely an upset, considering how the US are defending champions and look so fine this tournament.

Pyke*

I think Canada is the prohibitive favourite in this one.

I realize that this may seem biased, but:
1) Canada's goaltending has been weak - but for they've also scored 32 goals in 5 games. They can afford to let in a bad goal and still win; as evidenced by letting in the first goal 3 times in the tournament and trailing in all 5 games.

2) Canada emerged out of the better pool relatively unscathed, with only an overtime loss against the Swedes. Although the Americans are undefeated, they squeaked past Finland (a much weaker hockey nation) and struggled with Switzerland. Let's remember that the Swiss who are "offensively challenged" still found a way to score the same number of goals against the "rock solid" Campbell as against the "shaky" Visentin.

3) For the first time since playing the Czech Republic; Canada is mostly healthy and has a complete roster. Olsen looked better after his injury scare, de Haan was much more mobile, Eakin could shoot the puck and Kassian was no longer suspended. A fully healthy Canadian team is still the best in the tournament; and though they're missing Schwartz I think they're better than people think.

4) The United States has not faced as much adversity in this tournament. Generally, I'm a firm believer that the team which faces adversity and fights through it is better for it; so I tend to favour the Canadians here.

5) While I would love a Sweden-Finland semi-final, I'll be stunned if the Finns keep it close against a very good Russian team.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I think Canada is the prohibitive favourite in this one.

I realize that this may seem biased, but:
1) Canada's goaltending has been weak - but for they've also scored 32 goals in 5 games. They can afford to let in a bad goal and still win; as evidenced by letting in the first goal 3 times in the tournament and trailing in all 5 games.

2) Canada emerged out of the better pool relatively unscathed, with only an overtime loss against the Swedes. Although the Americans are undefeated, they squeaked past Finland (a much weaker hockey nation) and struggled with Switzerland. Let's remember that the Swiss who are "offensively challenged" still found a way to score the same number of goals against the "rock solid" Campbell as against the "shaky" Visentin.

3) For the first time since playing the Czech Republic; Canada is mostly healthy and has a complete roster. Olsen looked better after his injury scare, de Haan was much more mobile, Eakin could shoot the puck and Kassian was no longer suspended. A fully healthy Canadian team is still the best in the tournament; and though they're missing Schwartz I think they're better than people think.

4) The United States has not faced as much adversity in this tournament. Generally, I'm a firm believer that the team which faces adversity and fights through it is better for it; so I tend to favour the Canadians here.

5) While I would love a Sweden-Finland semi-final, I'll be stunned if the Finns keep it close against a very good Russian team.

I think this is the biggest concern for the USA, they haven't really faced anywhere near the same adversity that Canada has. Their goaltending has been solid so far but they haven't faced an offensively talented team like Canada or Sweden.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Pyke, I'd say the Americans have faced more adversity. Beating Finland in OT and then holding right on until the bitter end against the Swiss.

Canada really only had one game where they had to dig deep.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
7-6 Canada,

Kreider Kreider Kreider Bourque Bourque Bourque

Schenn Schenn Johansen Johansen Ellis Connolly Despres

Pyke*

Pyke, I'd say the Americans have faced more adversity. Beating Finland in OT and then holding right on until the bitter end against the Swiss.

Canada really only had one game where they had to dig deep.

I don't know.

Trailing 1-0 against the Russians early, came back to win 6-3.
Trailing 1-0 against the Czech's early, came back to win 7-2.
Close game against the Swedes, lose in a Shootout 6-5.
Trailing 1-0 against the Swiss early, came back to win 4-1.

I tend to say there's much more adversity there.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I could see it going either way - hoping for another epic game. That said, I haven't been overly impressed with either team thus far. The Canadian media seems to want to portray the Americans as the the favorites since they won last year and that the Canadians are just a bunch of lunch pail, blue collar underdogs but I don't buy it. I'll go with the Canadians in another close one.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I don't know.

Notice a trend? "Early". If they were trailing in the third, I'd tend to agree.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I don't know.

Ya no question Canada's faced more adversity than the American's. I think tomorrow comes down to goaltending. The two best teams on paper facing off against each other, definitely has potential to be a classic. Both teams have been very underwhelming to this point however...

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
not to sound like a homer, but I think Canada will win. The US have a solid team, but their performance as a team doesnt seem to click like canada's does.

All hope for both teams to put on a strong performance though.

Go Canada Go!

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury

Tied in the third against Russia... Actually lost a game... Back and forth with Russia and Sweden from start to finish... That's a ton of adversity...

Pyke*

I guess, but when have the Americans trailed late? They were beating Switzerland and held on to win - which is no different then the Canadians against the Swiss, except they added to their lead; as they did against the other teams too.

Additionally, it's a lot more devastating to get scored on in the first 5 minutes then it is five minutes into the third; so I tend to think the ability to settle down and come from behind is more important...

It should be a good one.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009

Seems like you are yet to see Finland play in this tournament.

Pyke*

Seems like you are yet to see Finland play in this tournament.

I watched one of your games. I'm a big fan of Finland in international hockey; you guys always play a gritty hard nosed game and are sort of like Canada's little hockey brother... also, I love the uniforms :P. Ortio stood on his head in a couple games from the highlights I've seen/watching.

The problem is, the Russian team is extremely skilled. I know Finland traditionally keeps games close, and I don't think it would be a tremendous upset or anything if Finland won, but I'm expecting a 6-3 type score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->