GDT: Canada vs Czech Republic 8/6/15 (World Junior Summer Showcase)

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
TSN is really missing the NHL.:) I miss TSN as well, so much better than rogers.

Yeah when I saw that TSN was broadcasting this my first thought was "TSN must really be missing hockey." :laugh:

Although I think giving one broadcaster the entire national rights is a terrible idea if there was one network who could pull it off well is TSN. Instead Rogers gives us subpar broadcast standards and a hockey panel that is mediocre at best.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah when I saw that TSN was broadcasting this my first thought was "TSN must really be missing hockey." :laugh:

Although I think giving one broadcaster the entire national rights is a terrible idea if there was one network who could pull it off well is TSN. Instead Rogers gives us subpar broadcast standards and a hockey panel that is mediocre at best.

Yes and what if after 12 years the Rogers network is not a contender for a new deal in Canada, does the NHL lower the price to try and lure TSN back? CBC is done and there's no one else. Rogers has to make some serious money if they are profiting after spending 5 billion.

NewHabsEra*

Juulsen with the nice wrister on the net, not long after, he went for the big bodycheck and totally miss the target as a result, he got caught out of position big time..

Edit: Puck bouncing around Juulsen and aweful reaction.. a 2 on 1 followed..

nice dive to prevent a goal

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Juulsen with the nice wrister on the net, not long after, he went for the for the big bodycheck and totally miss the target as a result, he got caught out of position big time..

Was still very nice to see his offensive rush.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's showed some physicality a few times tonight, it's definitely a part of what he brings to the table. I can see the Kevin Bieksa influence there.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Juulsen having more situations to show his stuff today. Doing well.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Dermott is gaining some ground tonight on the LD front. Juulsen is continuing his calm and collected play. He's certainly not hurting his chances , he's the best RD tonight in my opinion .

NewHabsEra*

Great shift in OT, surely got better as the game went on.. You have to like the pick at 26th overall..

matt77

Feb 27, 2013
That was a very weird choice of players for Canada. Quenneville, Watson and Chartier when you have skilled players like Konecny, Ho-Sang, Virtanen, etc.

However I really like what I saw (again) from Juulsen tonight.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
That was a very weird choice of players for Canada. Quenneville, Watson and Chartier when you have skilled players like Konecny, Ho-Sang, Virtanen, etc.

However I really like what I saw (again) from Juulsen tonight.

Chartier's a known sniper in the WHL and Lowry has seen him play quite a lot. He had a pro-rated 50 goal season so it wasn't a puzzling choice. Watson had his goal and the breakaway so understood that choice. Not sure why they picked Quenneville though.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Chartier's a known sniper in the WHL and Lowry has seen him play quite a lot. He had a pro-rated 50 goal season so it wasn't a puzzling choice. Watson had his goal and the breakaway so understood that choice. Not sure why they picked Quenneville though.

His coach in Brandon is the assistant coach for Team Canada.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Up and down game for both Russians first rounders ( Guryanov and Svechnikov) . They alternated between some great flashes and then long stretches of nothing. I wanted to see a bit more from these two since I was pretty high on them before the draft.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Up and down game for both Russians first rounders ( Guryanov and Svechnikov) . They alternated between some great flashes and then long stretches of nothing. I wanted to see a bit more from these two since I was pretty high on them before the draft.

Wasn't sold on Svechnikov at the draft. Can't say he helped me change my mind so far in August.

matt77

Feb 27, 2013

Yes Chartier & Watson looked good in the game, but I guess I really wanted to see Ho-Sang out here. He's got really good hands and he also had a great game.

Chartier and Watson also both went with the shot which didn't make them look very good :laugh:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Bruins have a good pick in Jake DeBrusk, he's the player I wanted the Habs to pick.

Montembeault is not set in net. He is always moving and seems to struggle to track the puck.

Wort pick in the top 15 IMO...he's looked very ordinary in the games so far.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Was still very nice to see his offensive rush.

Yes visibility..and being caught way out of position (more than once I might add)..is much better than doing your job correctly. ;)

He was better the first game..no mistakes..last night he could have been caught up ice for three or four goals against...he was too aggressive offensively. Somewhere in between how he played the first game and how he played last night would be ideal...actually he was pretty outstanding in the third period last night....cut down on the overcommitting and defended better than in the first two period when he pinched too often and was burned. Good job by Montembault to keep Canada in the game.

He's been one of Canada's better blueliners so far... better than Roy and Chabot IMO. I don't understand Canada's fascination with McKeown..he even had an A on his sweater last night. He is a turnover machine under pressure. One of the drawbacks of Hockey Canada..they fall in love with guys at 16..and never lose that love even when they've proven to be worse than expected.

You also know Lowry is going to have Hicketts on the team..Juulsen may have a tough time making the team this year due to politics, but he'll be a shoo in next season.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Juulsen didn't get a regular shift against Russia--he seemed to be used as a 7th defefenseman. Not much ice time--I hope that this does not mean he will be on the outside looking in come December.

I too felt that McKeown was weak, He was beaten badly a couple of times by Russian forwards.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Yes visibility..and being caught way out of position (more than once I might add)..is much better than doing your job correctly. ;)

He was better the first game..no mistakes..last night he could have been caught up ice for three or four goals against...he was too aggressive offensively. Somewhere in between how he played the first game and how he played last night would be ideal...actually he was pretty outstanding in the third period last night....cut down on the overcommitting and defended better than in the first two period when he pinched too often and was burned. Good job by Montembault to keep Canada in the game.

He's been one of Canada's better blueliners so far... better than Roy and Chabot IMO. I don't understand Canada's fascination with McKeown..he even had an A on his sweater last night. He is a turnover machine under pressure. One of the drawbacks of Hockey Canada..they fall in love with guys at 16..and never lose that love even when they've proven to be worse than expected.

You also know Lowry is going to have Hicketts on the team..Juulsen may have a tough time making the team this year due to politics, but he'll be a shoo in next season.

Being caught out of position is not always the d-man's fault as if he pinches and if he is able to make a play, one of his winger needs to recognize it and take his place. I have no idea how people often want for a d-man to jump in on the attack and in the same time never being caught of position. Juulsen should and will be that type of d-man. Players playing with him, just ike players playing with Karlsson or Subban or whoever needs to know and recognize what those players can do and adapt.

And again, don't worry, I do not always pair visibility with greatness. Don't worry about me on that. Thought you knew that....seems you don't so I'm reassuring you.

McKeown shows his limited IQ. Every 2 shifts. I liked Dermott so far. And yep, both Chabot and Roy have been underwhelming...to say the least. If it's only based on this summer, Juulsen is in the top 4. But there are ways to go. Politics? Well surely....name of the game, often about who you know than what you know. But so far, Juulsen has to have done enough.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Althought I don't care for his rankings, gotta say I really like Button calling the games. He did a good job at the U17 also but the play-by-play guy was just atrocious in those games. Also doing a good job in his segments on the pipeline show.

Lineup for tonight

Blackwood and Montembeault in net. No word on the starter.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Hicketts deserves to be on the team. I don't see what the politics have to do in his case. He was probably the best D so far with Dermott. He deservedly made the team last year and will make it again this year, being a better and more mature player...

Now Mckeown.... he has nothing to do on the team, I agree.

Juulsen didn't get a regular shift against Russia--he seemed to be used as a 7th defefenseman. Not much ice time--I hope that this does not mean he will be on the outside looking in come December.

I too felt that McKeown was weak, He was beaten badly a couple of times by Russian forwards.

Team Canada has been mostly rolling lines. With 7 D's dressed, one side has to play with 4. First period they had Sanheim on the right with Roy, Mckeow and Juulsen. Second period he was back on the left with Fleury, Dermott and Hickey. Juulsen had a regular shift all game long.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad