Canada v UManitoba - Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Here's my take on some players that played today:

Corey Perry-What more can I say than Unreal Skill? I'll say a bit more...He scored a one-handed, wrap-around goal by using a toe drag (one-handed remember). He also scored a awe-inspiring player v tender goal. Add a goalmouth scramble top-shelfer and you have the makings of a solid hat trick. Expect him to be right up there in points this holiday season. The only problem I had with Perry was this: although he was responsible enough to cover his D-man when U of M had possession, he never went past the hash marks to truly help out the team defensive cause. So he's a bit of a floater.

Dave Bolland-Very Mike Richards-esque today. Scored. Made a hit that made the crowd stand up. All over the defensive end. He also showed some tricky one-on-one skills and solid vision. Crisp passes. It seemed as if Sutter was allocating ice time for some of the bubble forwards in a way that saw them all sit for long stretches in order to see how they would respond to cold legs. Honestly, I think that Bolland might be too good for the 10th forward spot (!?). If he makes the team, its not because Sutter's brother coaches the Blackhawks.

Dustin Boyd- Similarly, if Boyd makes it, its not because his brother coaches the Flames. Boyd was relentless. He showed a water-bug ability to get around U of M defensemen literally every time. Mainly though, he was visible because he displayed an uncannily controled the puck in the deep offensive end. This was due to a combination of body angling proficiency and good peripheral vision.

Andrew Ladd-everybody join me in the chant...."Carolina wasted their pick". Seemed excruciatingly slow. Made constant mental errors in his own end. Couldn't generate anything more than your classic dump-and-chase offensive strategy. And to boot....he was hogging the puck. If only Getzlaf was dressed today....

Jeff Shantz- by far the best goalie out there. He was dressed for the 2nd half of the game for U of M. This may have aided him in getting into the game seeing as though Canada outshot the Bisons 40-13. Took no chances...covered the puck whenever it was near. Never got embarassed on any goal (it was Beauchemin who was in for both of Perry's pretty goals). Based on this game, Shantz is on the team. Great lateral movement.

Devan Dubnyk - played solid, yet unspectacular. I don't think it helped him to be on Team Canada because he saw minimal action. Jacobsen scored a goal that made him look akward - but it was all Braydon Coburns fault by over-compensating coverage on the 2nd forward on a 2-on-2, thereby making Dubnyk susceptible. I think Dubnyk was expecting Couburn to attend to his responsibility on that one.

Jeff Glass - Only let in one. Did not see many pucks. Will this help him or hurt him?

Braydon Coburn - besides the aformentioned gaffe, he looked good. Had two assists (one on Perry's first, and another on Bolland's). Large wingspan allowed him to poke check the puck back into the opposition's end before U of M could create a transition attack a few times.

Clarke MaCarthur - pretty much invisible. Same for Dixon.

Mike Green - I'll give him this: he has good vision. Looked like he was a little outmatched with hard-checking forecheckers, but overall played a smart and composed game. Not spectacular by any means...but he is positionally sound enough. Darkhorse 7th D-man?

Shawn Belle - Fast, but I don't see why he would be considered a guarantee to make the club this time around. However, no D-men really seperating themselves from the pack bodes well for Belle. It seems to me that Belle is overanxious to join the rush at times. Twice I saw Dave Bolland playing D in the offensive end while Belle was meandering back to his defensive post. That being said, Belle received the least amount of icetime out of all D-men today.

Anthony Stewart - REALLY took over in the 3rd period when U of M was wearing down. Created lots of energy with Boyd on the cycle. Made a fantastic seeing-eye pass off a draw to a wide-open Ladd (who prompty "logo'd" Nastiuk). Brought the puck to the net with reckless abandon. Not simply and up-and-down winger. He's more creative than that. Bear in mind this opinion is all based on a 3rd period that was considerally disproportionate in comparison to his performance in the first two - where I thought he was floating.

Danny Syvret - He's too quick to simply ring the puck around the boards on the stagnant breakout. Doesn't give his wingers much of a chance. On top of that, he never creates active breakouts by looping the net on dump-ins to quickly find his wingers...he's much more apt to drop the puck for his trailing D-partner. In this game, its slowed the play up to the detriment of Team Canada. Two big hits, though.

Cam Barker - Again, no D-men really stood out too much. But Barker made smart, low shots when he had PP time and he probably had 3 shots on net himself. Add a couple of nice thirty-foot saucer passes to spring forwards and we're dealing with an above average performance.

Eric Fehr - looked frustrated.

Ryan Stone - looked frustrated.

MIA: Crosby, Seabrook, Phaneuf, Weber, Richards, Carter, Dawes, Getzlaf. Also: huge crowd.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Great post, good to see some of the guys like Bolland and Boyd performing above expectation, especially above blue chippers like Ladd.

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
Minnesota Norse Star said:
Here's my take on some players that played today:

Corey Perry-What more can I say than Unreal Skill? I'll say a bit more...He scored a one-handed, wrap-around goal by using a toe drag (one-handed remember). He also scored a awe-inspiring player v tender goal. Add a goalmouth scramble top-shelfer and you have the makings of a solid hat trick. Expect him to be right up there in points this holiday season. The only problem I had with Perry was this: although he was responsible enough to cover his D-man when U of M had possession, he never went past the hash marks to truly help out the team defensive cause. So he's a bit of a floater.

Dave Bolland-Very Mike Richards-esque today. Scored. Made a hit that made the crowd stand up. All over the defensive end. He also showed some tricky one-on-one skills and solid vision. Crisp passes. It seemed as if Sutter was allocating ice time for some of the bubble forwards in a way that saw them all sit for long stretches in order to see how they would respond to cold legs. Honestly, I think that Bolland might be too good for the 10th forward spot (!?). If he makes the team, its not because Sutter's brother coaches the Blackhawks.

Dustin Boyd- Similarly, if Boyd makes it, its not because his brother coaches the Flames. Boyd was relentless. He showed a water-bug ability to get around U of M defensemen literally every time. Mainly though, he was visible because he displayed an uncannily controled the puck in the deep offensive end. This was due to a combination of body angling proficiency and good peripheral vision.

Andrew Ladd-everybody join me in the chant...."Carolina wasted their pick". Seemed excruciatingly slow. Made constant mental errors in his own end. Couldn't generate anything more than your classic dump-and-chase offensive strategy. And to boot....he was hogging the puck. If only Getzlaf was dressed today....

Jeff Shantz- by far the best goalie out there. He was dressed for the 2nd half of the game for U of M. This may have aided him in getting into the game seeing as though Canada outshot the Bisons 40-13. Took no chances...covered the puck whenever it was near. Never got embarassed on any goal (it was Beauchemin who was in for both of Perry's pretty goals). Based on this game, Shantz is on the team. Great lateral movement.

Devan Dubnyk - played solid, yet unspectacular. I don't think it helped him to be on Team Canada because he saw minimal action. Jacobsen scored a goal that made him look akward - but it was all Braydon Coburns fault by over-compensating coverage on the 2nd forward on a 2-on-2, thereby making Dubnyk susceptible. I think Dubnyk was expecting Couburn to attend to his responsibility on that one.

Jeff Glass - Only let in one. Did not see many pucks. Will this help him or hurt him?

Braydon Coburn - besides the aformentioned gaffe, he looked good. Had two assists (one on Perry's first, and another on Bolland's). Large wingspan allowed him to poke check the puck back into the opposition's end before U of M could create a transition attack a few times.

Clarke MaCarthur - pretty much invisible. Same for Dixon.

Mike Green - I'll give him this: he has good vision. Looked like he was a little outmatched with hard-checking forecheckers, but overall played a smart and composed game. Not spectacular by any means...but he is positionally sound enough. Darkhorse 7th D-man?

Shawn Belle - Fast, but I don't see why he would be considered a guarantee to make the club this time around. However, no D-men really seperating themselves from the pack bodes well for Belle. It seems to me that Belle is overanxious to join the rush at times. Twice I saw Dave Bolland playing D in the offensive end while Belle was meandering back to his defensive post. That being said, Belle received the least amount of icetime out of all D-men today.

Anthony Stewart - REALLY took over in the 3rd period when U of M was wearing down. Created lots of energy with Boyd on the cycle. Made a fantastic seeing-eye pass off a draw to a wide-open Ladd (who prompty "logo'd" Nastiuk). Brought the puck to the net with reckless abandon. Not simply and up-and-down winger. He's more creative than that. Bear in mind this opinion is all based on a 3rd period that was considerally disproportionate in comparison to his performance in the first two - where I thought he was floating.

Danny Syvret - He's too quick to simply ring the puck around the boards on the stagnant breakout. Doesn't give his wingers much of a chance. On top of that, he never creates active breakouts by looping the net on dump-ins to quickly find his wingers...he's much more apt to drop the puck for his trailing D-partner. In this game, its slowed the play up to the detriment of Team Canada. Two big hits, though.

Cam Barker - Again, no D-men really stood out too much. But Barker made smart, low shots when he had PP time and he probably had 3 shots on net himself. Add a couple of nice thirty-foot saucer passes to spring forwards and we're dealing with an above average performance.

Eric Fehr - looked frustrated.

Ryan Stone - looked frustrated.

MIA: Crosby, Seabrook, Phaneuf, Weber, Richards, Carter, Dawes, Getzlaf. Also: huge crowd.

i thought the goalies where Glass Rejean Kevin and Dubnyk whose shantz?

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
Great post, good to see some of the guys like Bolland and Boyd performing above expectation, especially above blue chippers like Ladd.

That goal by Perry was absolutley rediculous, disgusting, magical, Lemieux-Esque, impossible. Wow! :bow: . There has to be a spot for this guy on the top line alongside Crosby and Bergeron, that line will be boiling over with skill. Great to hear that Boyd had a good game as well, I really belive this kid is underrated offensively. Was wondering if you could elaborate on how Stone and Fehr played and if they played together?

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Fehr was frustrated because he seemed to be truly working hard. He just seemed like a mouse on a wheel. It seemed like verytime he was the first player in on the forecheck, U of M would wheel the puck up the ice and Fehr would be forced to backcheck...making him mentally tired.

Stone was just sort of "out there". Nothing really bad to say - but this tryout is about showing something, which he didn't do.

I'd throw Dixon in on that same category.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
BuppY said:
who would give the nod for Starting Goalie?

Originally... I would have said Nastiuk as the starter because his resume with this age group but I think that Glass has shown that he can be the type of goalie that can face 15 shots per game and make the saves... this is where MA Fleury faltered... Canada's team isn't going to face many shots.... so I think Glass is the man beacause of his season and his ability to stay focused with not alot of action.. this is what canada needs.

chicpea*

Here's my take on some players that played today:....

Thanks for the tips and the great post, MNS. Truly helpful.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
ktownhockey said:
Originally... I would have said Nastiuk as the starter because his resume with this age group but I think that Glass has shown that he can be the type of goalie that can face 15 shots per game and make the saves... this is where MA Fleury faltered... Canada's team isn't going to face many shots.... so I think Glass is the man beacause of his season and his ability to stay focused with not alot of action.. this is what canada needs.

Totally understand, and I see where you are coming from, but when it coems to a big game lets say Russia in the finals and Russians have a great Offense and Canada will face a alot of shots, how do you think he'll handle that pressure?

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Fehr was frustrated because he seemed to be truly working hard. He just seemed like a mouse on a wheel. It seemed like verytime he was the first player in on the forecheck, U of M would wheel the puck up the ice and Fehr would be forced to backcheck...making him mentally tired.

Stone was just sort of "out there". Nothing really bad to say - but this tryout is about showing something, which he didn't do.

I'd throw Dixon in on that same category.

Thank You very much

turnbuckle*

ktownhockey said:
Carter was sitting out with most of the other "shoe ins"

What exactly is a "shoe in"? Someone who is pigeon toed, or bow legged, LOL?

I'm not trying to zero on on you; I see it spelled that way pretty much every time it appears on this fine board. I've seen it in more than a few newspaper articles as well.

Anyway, for those still reading this, the correct spelling is "shoo in", originally referring to a horse that is easily taken to his or her stall, a 'preferred' horse, a chosen one. Something like that.....

Somewhere along the line, it's become convenient to spell it "shoe in."

But I digress as we regress.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ouch.

It seems that Ladd's stock is going south at record speeds.

RoyIsALegend*

Good to see the Knights boys doing well. I have always been a fan of Perry's raw goal-scoring ability, but he consistently lacks intensity on the ice and won't go into high-traffic areas.

bruins_19

Dec 1, 2004
Good to see that Cam Barker had a good game tonight. It would have been a shame for him to have a terrible camp and not really show the coaching staff his talent.

chicpea*

RoyIsALegend said:
Good to see the Knights boys doing well. I have always been a fan of Perry's raw goal-scoring ability, but he consistently lacks intensity on the ice and won't go into high-traffic areas.

That's what I keep hearing from people like yourself who have seen him far more than I have, and it's worrisome for sure. The upside is that if he makes the team and if he gets slotted with Crosby and Bergeron (a big "if"), there will be a lot more room on the ice, so-to-say. Similarly if he's on a pp unit, which he will be. I've only seen his highlights this season but they are impressive and I don't think I'd be upset if he was kept. That's the thing about pure goal scorers: sometimes they come in very handy when you least expect it, even if they don't drive to the net as much as they should.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
ktownhockey said:

I completely agree with you, though Nastiuk was doing the same thing earlier in the season for Medicine Hat where he would post shutouts in games he faced 17 shots or less in.

I think since Nastiuk headed into camp fresh off a 9-game losing streak and Glass headed into camp with a winning November-December record that Canada will end up favoring Glass over Nastiuk if they can't decide between the 2, not much size differential between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->