Canada-USA, who is the home team?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You would think it would be Canada.

From CP:

In a strange twist of international hockey, Canada will not be the home team against the U.S, but would have been against Finland.

Canada has a better record than both countries, but was the home team and had the right of last line change against the U.S. in their round-robin game.

An International Ice Hockey Federation bylaw states that if "the teams play each other in any further round again, the home team will be reversed."

The IIHF continues to impress me with their stupidity.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
That's weird. Some of these rules don't make sense to me, like not having this game and the Russia game at the same time.

KrisKing*

The IIHF must have some of the goofiest rules in sports. And it seems like we hear of a new one every year. I like the one about how you can't win a faceoff with your feet. What could possibly be the reasoning behind that?

Golden Jet

Dec 19, 2006
Winnipeg
Yes very silly. Oh well......I'm expecting the U.S.A to be dog tired with back to back games while Canada should be well rested with a full two days off.

BCCHL inactive

The IIHF will tell you that this rule is for the interest of fairness.

I think we all know that's BS and would make the point that it is not fair to Canada, reason being that they finished in first place in their pool, and now they are at a minor disadvantage due to the result of a game they had zero control over.

I don't think last change means as much as a lot of people think it does, though it can be important in certain situations, especially late in the game.

I think where this will bug Canada the most, is that the home team chooses its uniform first, and we know the USA will choose to wear blue, forcing Canada to wear white (hope I'm wrong, but I'm calling it now ;) ). We also all know Canada always prefers to wear red. Hopefully this will only motivate Canada to come out of the gates harder and faster than ever.

maccin

Oct 19, 2006
Gävle
I think where this will bug Canada the most, is that the home team chooses its uniform first, and we know the USA will choose to wear blue, forcing Canada to wear white (hope I'm wrong, but I'm calling it now ;) ). We also all know Canada always prefers to wear red. Hopefully this will only motivate Canada to come out of the gates harder and faster than ever.

Heh, then maybe they should try to do what swedish team Brynäs made in the last final game in 99, against modo. Take a talk to the tv-guys, the iihf and the us team, and maybe they'll get the same result as Brynäs, they could play with their home uniform though it was an awaygame

How it ended? wonderful, brynäs won 4-2 and the gold was home in gävle :clap: :yo:

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
It is very handy though, just in case the unthinkable happens and Canada loses, you have your excuse for losing all set up.:sarcasm:

;)

Even still, i can agree on this one. This aint fair, Canada should have the advantage, considering they finished first in their group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->