Canada to miss the medal round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
SectionX said:
exactly exactly! That's why Canada will go far once again. The canadians waste no energy in the group stages. They save it for the medal rounds.
w.t.f. :shakehead
canada wasn't saving energy vs suisse; they just couldn't win. they had about 30 shots in the 3rd. they were taking lots of (stupid) penalties in the offensive zone trying to get scoring chances.

canada doesn't save energy, they get outplayed/outworked. finns outworked canada in 02 also, but narrowly lost.

if sweden hadn't choked vs belarus, they might have won gold instead of canada.

cstu

May 6, 2004
nik jr said:
canada wasn't saving energy vs suisse; they just couldn't win. they had about 30 shots in the 3rd. they were taking lots of (stupid) penalties in the offensive zone trying to get scoring chances.

canada doesn't save energy, they get outplayed/outworked. finns outworked canada in 02 also, but narrowly lost.

He's not saying Canada wasn't trying against the Swiss, he's saying that they tend to stink it up for one or two games every tournament in the round robin, then pick it up in the medal rounds. Although from what they've shown so far, i'm not convinced that will be the case this time.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
bah see whats really happening is Canada wanted to play Slovakia in the Quarters. Originally they thought The slovaks would finish 4th in their pool so we would have to win ours. But seeing as it looks like the slovaks will win their pool, canada needs to finish 4th in ours to play them first. So now when we loose to the Czechs tomorrow i won't be even slightly disappointed :sarcasm:

As much as we want to get mad at them thus far lets be honest with the exception of the first they outplayed Finland tonight and if they play the way they did against the swiss every time they win 9 out of 10.

Theres only 3 games that matter and it starts after the game vs the czechs tomorrow. theres only 1 team who can win 3 straight.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
nik jr said:

Canada is playing rope-a-dope right now. They squeak into the next round, study their adversaries, pace themselves physically, let everyone believe they're an easy victim and then ..........BAM!!!!!!! They're your hockey Daddy :D

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Team Canada looks lost out on the ice so far. No tape to tape passes, no effective breakouts, the PP has been scrambling around to keep the puck in the zone, poor defensive zone coverage, no line chemistry so far - just general confusion.

All that being said, these problems are symptoms of a team that has not played well together - A trend similar to the first couple of games we saw in Salt Lake City. The one thing that bothers me though is Canada has been out worked in back to back games now as they are not fighting for the puck and supporting each other consistently.

For me to be convinced they also can pull this one out and go for the gold like in 2002, I want to see a spirited battle with the Czechs - a team that seems to bring the best out of Canada.

millions

Feb 8, 2006
Regardless where Canada finishes, it will need to beat tough teams. In some cases, it will be vicious goaltending, in others, the trap. The NHL perfected the trap, and since the world is working off what the NHL did, everyone has now perfected it while we are now weaned off of it. We reap what we sow.

Unfortunately, everyone on Team Canada are freewheelin' goalscorers that worked in a scenario that wanted the trap gone and cannot gel into a unit that can beat it. Completed passes in the neutral zone are not happening and the team seems to be bogged down.

Granted, they certainly should not be without a goal in two games, but if they are going to have a rough spot, best now in these 'nothing' games. These guys are veterans and when it counts, things will turn for the best...

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
Rob said:
Never though that this would be a reality after just 4 games but there is a chance that Canada could finish 5th in the group. I can't think of anything more humiliating. This is turning out to be worse than Nagano. :shakehead

I doubt that the Czechs will be able to give Canada much difficulty. A tired Vokoun and a semi-injured Jagr are significant disadvantages. Both teams haven't shown much passion, but the Canadians have significant advantages in goaltending (Brodeur or otherwise) and defense (even with a rather ineffective McCabe and Pronger).

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Canada will go on, but they will not play in a medal game, they suck, pure and simple!
Way to stand by your team, bandwagoner.
I start critiquing Team Canada when they lose a game that matters.
In a short tourney, anything can happen, but I wouldn't bet against a 3-game winning streak by Canada to finish this Olympics.

CHL RANGERS

Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton,Alberta
mt_mtl said:
Even if Canada DOES lose against Finland, they can still lose the next game and STILL make it to the medal round.

....Where they will win Gold. :yo: GO CANADA GO!!!! :clap:
u are a true canadian...stickin with the team im glad to see there are more people that dont give up...im sick of all these canadians who give up on the team when games dont matter..i remember last olympics when we lost and people were talkin trash that we suck same people were on the bag wagon again as soon as we were playin for a gold...i hope there more canadians like u

CHL RANGERS

Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton,Alberta
Steveorama said:
Way to stand by your team, bandwagoner.
I start critiquing Team Canada when they lose a game that matters.
In a short tourney, anything can happen, but I wouldn't bet against a 3-game winning streak by Canada to finish this Olympics.
u are right...tell em man....im sick of these bandwagon jumpers have no pride and no heart...thanks for sayin it man

CHL RANGERS

Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton,Alberta
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Canada will go on, but they will not play in a medal game, they suck, pure and simple!
man im sick of people like u...have some pride stick with ur team...or dont cheer for them period...ur a pure bandwagon jumper....u prolly sittin there with a finnsh jersey on now

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
sdeol15 said:
man im sick of people like u...have some pride stick with ur team...or dont cheer for them period...ur a pure bandwagon jumper....u prolly sittin there with a finnsh jersey on now

You know, it's really hard to jump on a different bandwagon in an international tournament.

I mean, you gotta move halfway across the world, change your citizenship, AND buy all the new gear. It's not like switching from a Minnesota fan to a Detroit fan - you just buy a new hat.

I don't think there are bandwagoners when it comes to countries, there are just people who get a little over-emotional - until the next time their country is playing because you know they're right back in front of the tv cheering like crazy and waving their flags.

Default101

here's how it goes, Canada will take on either Slovakia, Sweden or Russia in the first game of the medal round if canada wins or ties, they will clinch 3rd place, otherwise a czech win will drop canada to 4th, germany would have to win against undefeated finland, and would have to combine with canada for a +13 in Germany's favour (+12 would result in a tie breaker that canada would win) so yes canada has not clinched a spot but unless both Finnish or Canadian goaltenders get injured there should be no problem at all except for the fact that this wouldbe a dissapointing finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->