Canada to miss the medal round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Rob said:
Never though that this would be a reality after just 4 games but there is a chance that Canada could finish 5th in the group. I can't think of anything more humiliating. This is turning out to be worse than Nagano. :shakehead

Uhh, they have basically clinched. Even if they lose their 5th game and Germany wins, Germany would have to overcome a 14 goal differential.

SChan*

this is typical canada. They play brutal in the group stage, but in the end they will win the gold.

someone should tell Sweden that it's medal round that counts, not group stage. I hope we lose or tie slovakia tomorrow.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Canada will be the medal rounds, Germany can only achieve same amount of points and Canada beat them. That's the first tie-breaker.

mt_mtl

Nov 7, 2005
Toronto
Rob said:
Never though that this would be a reality after just 4 games but there is a chance that Canada could finish 5th in the group. I can't think of anything more humiliating. This is turning out to be worse than Nagano. :shakehead

Even if Canada DOES lose against Finland, they can still lose the next game and STILL make it to the medal round.

....Where they will win Gold. :yo: GO CANADA GO!!!! :clap:

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Canada won't miss medal round

The teams in medal round are basically set.

The most likely pairings in QFs (if Slovakia beats/ties Sweden):

1B Slovakia vs. 4A Loser of Czech-Canada game (4B=Czech if a tie)
2B Russia vs. 3A Winner of Czech-Canada game (3B=Canada if a tie)
3B Sweden vs. 2A Swiss
4B USA vs. 1A Finland

If Sweden beats Slovakia, it really jumbles the Group B standings, which would then depend on how Russia fares against USA.

If Swiss lose to Italy, then they could finish 3rd instead of 2nd in Group A.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Would have been great if germany had beaten Switzerland, that would have made the last games really exciting. :dunno:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I guess I just took it for granted that Canada would at least get to the Semi-Finals. Now they could be blown out of the water by Russia in the Q.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Canada's in. Finland vs. USA is already set. Switzerland controls their destiny for the #2 spot, with a win or a tie against Italy, or a tie in the Canada-Czech game. Canada-Czech Republic will decide the #3 and #4 spots.

In group B, a Slovakia win would automatically result in the following seedings:

1. Slovakia
2. Russia
3. Sweden

If Slovakia ties Sweden, they're still #1 and Russia would be #2 with a win or a tie against the U.S. If Sweden beats Slovakia, they're #1 with a Russia tie or loss against the U.S. and Slovakia would be #2. If Sweden and Russia both win, Russia would likely be #1 based on goal differential (they're +5 over Sweden) with Sweden second and Slovakia third.

Clear? Okay.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
Does anyone hear actually remember the 2002 olympics or are you all assuming Canada cake walked 6 straight to the gold?

Do you remember how they started off that tournament?
5-2 loss to swedes (sky was falling)
3-2 win over Germany (To close for comfort)
3-3 tie Czechs (can't beat good team)

They finished round robin second last in the group and -2 gf/ga

Played a very tight 2-1 game against Finland and eeked out the win and the rest is history.

So ya these two results aren't a good sign and we wish things were going smoother but this has happened before and IMO this team when they come out trying to take it to the finns and swiss were better than the 2002 team.

SChan*

KadoCH said:
Does anyone hear actually remember the 2002 olympics or are you all assuming Canada cake walked 6 straight to the gold?

Played a very tight 2-1 game against Finland and eeked out the win and the rest is history.

So ya these two results aren't a good sign and we wish things were going smoother but this has happened before and IMO this team when they come out trying to take it to the finns and swiss were better than the 2002 team.

exactly exactly! That's why Canada will go far once again. The canadians waste no energy in the group stages. They save it for the medal rounds.

QYC

Dec 31, 2005
China/Canada
KadoCH said:

Yes but we had a HUGE break when Belarus beat Sweden and we got to play them instead of the Swedes.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
The medal round is a crapshoot this year. Either Switzerland or the U.S.A winning gold would surprise the heck out of me, but any of these teams can beat any other one on a given day. You can blame Canada all you want, but the talent levels here are pretty comparable.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Czech Your Math said:
The teams in medal round are basically set.

The most likely pairings in QFs (if Slovakia beats/ties Sweden):

1B Slovakia vs. 4A Loser of Czech-Canada game (4B=Czech if a tie)
2B Russia vs. 3A Winner of Czech-Canada game (3B=Canada if a tie)

3B Sweden vs. 2A Swiss
4B USA vs. 1A Finland

If Sweden beats Slovakia, it really jumbles the Group B standings, which would then depend on how Russia fares against USA.

If Swiss lose to Italy, then they could finish 3rd instead of 2nd in Group A.

WHOOO BOY!!! We're in DEEP DOO DOO!!!

If we win against Czechs, we have to play Russians, if we lose against Czechs, we play Slovaks!!! This team Canada dug itself into a deep hole this time! And they had better start looking within themselves because there's no calvary to come and save them!!!

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
David said:

If we win against Czechs, we have to play Russians, if we lose against Czechs, we play Slovaks!!! This team Canada dug itself into a deep hole this time! And they had better start looking within themselves because there's no calvary to come and save them!!!

Alrighty :biglaugh: BTW it's Cavalry :)

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
David said:

There isn't a single "easy" matchup for anybody this go around. Canada had the choice between the USA, Russia, Slovakia and Sweden going into this tournament assuming Kazakhstan and Latvia didn't pull off miracles.

I'd personally like to play the Russians. Not that they'd be an easier opponent than anyone else, they'd probably be the toughest, but I want a huge matchup against Russia in this Olympics.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Rob said:
I guess I just took it for granted that Canada would at least get to the Semi-Finals. Now they could be blown out of the water by Russia in the Q.

I dunno, I think the Russians are weak on D.Not that it matters when you are in your opponants end, scoring like its going out of style, however.

BTW, I think Canada beats the Czechs , who aren't doing so hot this tournament either.

Who'd have thunk the two favorites for a gold medal would play this badly in the preliminarys?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Pepper said:
Canada will be the medal rounds, Germany can only achieve same amount of points and Canada beat them. That's the first tie-breaker.
Well, the Finns can loosen up and let the Germans score at ease to eliminate Canada. I know the Finns won't do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->