Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Reactions: ohcomeonref

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Looks like we will get 500,000 next week.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/astrazeneca-approved-1.5929050

The Serum Institute, which is working with Mississauga, Ont.-based Verity Pharmaceuticals, will deliver 500,000 doses of its vaccine next Wednesday, the company told CBC News. A further 1 million doses will arrive in April and 500,000 more in early May.
tenor.gif

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Johnson and Johnson has yet to be approved as well. Although Canada’s shipment dates hasn’t been released yet.

I hope the provinces are ready to administer a significant amount of doses. By the end of March 10% of the population will have received at least one dose. That’s more than twice than what we have now.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Current positive rate in Ontario is same as mid October. I shouldn't have to explain what that means.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Irrelevant. Please answer the question.
Its entirely relevant. If the variables are flawed but consistent, you can still observe trends. As I have explained previously. And let him respond for himself.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
What experience do you have in trend analysis?

Completely irrelevant as you have said that the only reliable data is private data.

You choose numbers that fit your narrative. That’s the point.

Its entirely relevant. If the variables are flawed but consistent, you can still observe trends. As I have explained previously. And let him respond for himself.

No, you haven’t. You said public data can’t be trusted. It’s like you pick and choose what fits your narrative.

Actually let’s go with my favorite: if the numbers are the same as October, what do YOU propose to do? And please don’t cop us out with the “I’m a hedge fund lawyer” stuff either. You seem to come off as though you know better than everyone else, but you never explicitly say. So, like I asked months ago, here’s your golden chance. What would you do to solve this problem?

It can’t be that hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
AstraZeneca approved for use in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/astrazeneca-approved-1.5929050

There's been different reports on where the supply could come from, either India or US, but, I believe that a recent report from the manufacturer that 500K could come from India within a month of health Canada approval.

This would add to the planned procurement schedule already. However, based on the Ontario rollout plan, we may see the ability to administer doses as being the bottleneck going forward.

60 percent effective and 0 percent in stopping the south African virus. Love the first 2 vaccines but this one I hope is a last resort.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why exactly are we going to administer the AstraZeneca vaccine with 10% efficacy? Is that more of less effective then a tennis racket?

Oxford Covid vaccine has 10% efficacy against South African variant, study suggests

Swiss are delaying approval...

Swiss delay AstraZeneca COVID vaccine approval, order more shots from others

South Africa wants its money back...

Report: South Africa Asks Indian Maker Of AstraZeneca Vaccine To Take Back One Million Doses

In Canada, the Feds ignore what's happening in SA and Switzerland. We all know why...

Last edited:

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
Apparently if you get the second dose of AstraZeneca 2-3 months after the first dose, then you will be at a high protection level a couple weeks after the second dose. Like 85% effective.

But still, taking twice as long to reach full effectiveness compared to other vaccines is not great.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Apparently if you get the second dose of AstraZeneca 2-3 months after the first dose, then you will be at a high protection level a couple weeks after the second dose. Like 85% effective.

But still, taking twice as long to reach full effectiveness compared to other vaccines is not great.

At this stage though, eventually the first dose appears to offer protection against severe cases, which is the primary goal. We're still in mode of reducing hospitalizations and fatalities. Having access to this vaccine gets more people done earlier. Canada having among the more robust and broad procurement strategy also allows us to circle back on people with the more effective vaccines later if needed.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
60 percent effective and 0 percent in stopping the south African virus. Love the first 2 vaccines but this one I hope is a last resort.

In Canada, we ordered the SA varient not to come here. Nope.

Oops...

"There are at least 28 cases of the South African variant in the country, with British Columbia holding the highest case count at 15. Most of the variant cases in B.C. have been linked to travel but four cases of the South African worryingly have unclear origins."

That was February 11th. Feb. 22nd we have 40 cases mostly in Ontario. It's in the wild and we are getting millions of doses of a vaccine that doesn't work on it.

The state of COVID-19 variants in Canada: Ontario has more than half the cases | National Post

'Variants of concern': Here's what you need to know about COVID-19 variants in Canada

And now for the good news....no wait....just a tiny bit better news.....

"A laboratory study suggests that the South African variant of the coronavirus may reduce antibody protection from the Pfizer Inc/BioNTech SE vaccine by two-thirds, and it is not clear if the shot will be effective against the mutation, the companies said on Wednesday."

Pfizer says variant first found in South Africa could significantly reduce vaccine protection

Last edited:
Reactions: rosscow

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
Why exactly are we going to administer the AstraZeneca vaccine with 10% efficacy? Is that more of less effective then a tennis racket?

Oxford Covid vaccine has 10% efficacy against South African variant, study suggests

Swiss are delaying approval...

Swiss delay AstraZeneca COVID vaccine approval, order more shots from others

South Africa wants its money back...

Report: South Africa Asks Indian Maker Of AstraZeneca Vaccine To Take Back One Million Doses

In Canada, the Feds ignore what's happening in SA and Switzerland. We all know why...

Because:
-Less people will die and end up in hospital.
-Every person that receives the vaccine becomes one less host for the virus to replicate and become another new, emerging variant. Again, causing less people to die.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
In Canada, we ordered the SA varient not to come here. Nope.

Oops...

"There are at least 28 cases of the South African variant in the country, with British Columbia holding the highest case count at 15. Most of the variant cases in B.C. have been linked to travel but four cases of the South African worryingly have unclear origins."

That was February 11th. Feb. 22nd we have 40 cases mostly in Ontario. It's in the wild and we are getting millions of doses of a vaccine that doesn't work on it.

The state of COVID-19 variants in Canada: Ontario has more than half the cases | National Post

'Variants of concern': Here's what you need to know about COVID-19 variants in Canada

And now for the good news....no wait....just a tiny bit better news.....

"A laboratory study suggests that the South African variant of the coronavirus may reduce antibody protection from the Pfizer Inc/BioNTech SE vaccine by two-thirds, and it is not clear if the shot will be effective against the mutation, the companies said on Wednesday."

Pfizer says variant first found in South Africa could significantly reduce vaccine protection

How many times do I have to post that:
Vaccine-induced immunity provides more robust heterotypic immunity than natural infection to emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So hundreds of Swiss and SA scientist can't find or read a research paper? Or every research paper on the planet?

Is that why the Swiss want to cancel 5.3 million doses and the SA wants a refund on a million doses of AstraZenika? The SA authorities are buried by covid and yet won't administer them because they are useless.

Is that why France, Belgium and Germany are ONLY giving it to under 65 year olds? Who are far, far less likely to die from Covid to begin with?

Meanwhile....Canada is going ahead with 22 million doses of the AstraZenika vaccine.

I say use tennis rackets.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypruss

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

"To address this potential threat, we sampled a SARS-CoV-2 uninfected UK cohort recently vaccinated with BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech, two doses delivered 18-28 days apart), alongside a cohort naturally infected in the first wave of the epidemic in Spring 2020."

I don't see anything on AstraZenika.....or tennis rackets.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
"To address this potential threat, we sampled a SARS-CoV-2 uninfected UK cohort recently vaccinated with BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech, two doses delivered 18-28 days apart), alongside a cohort naturally infected in the first wave of the epidemic in Spring 2020."

I don't see anything on AstraZenika.....or tennis rackets.

The part I bolded in your post referred to the Pfizer vaccine, the "tiny bit better news".

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The part I bolded in your post referred to the Pfizer vaccine, the "tiny bit better news".
It is a tiny bit better because their own research says it's "only reduce antibody protection by 2/3". Which means it's still 30% effective.

The issue is that the SA varient is in the wild in Canada and it can and will dominate in a matter of weeks or a month. Vaccinating millons of Canadians for older variants won't do anything more then a band aid on a severed arm. On top of that, by the time we get vaccinated, measured by months, the SA varient will be dominating and new strains showing up.

I don't like what I read at all. It looks like we are fighting a rear guard action so slowly that we wont be out of this for another year. And that is if we do things right.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It is a tiny bit better because their own research says it's "only reduce antibody protection by 2/3". Which means it's still 30% effective.

The issue is that the SA varient is in the wild in Canada and it can and will dominate in a matter of weeks or a month. Vaccinating millons of Canadians for older variants won't do anything more then a band aid on a severed arm. On top of that, by the time we get vaccinated, measured by months, the SA varient will be dominating and new strains showing up.

I don't like what I read at all. It looks like we are fighting a rear guard action so slowly that we wont be out of this for another year. And that is if we do things right.

1. A reduction of 2/3 still give a response similar to a natural infection against the wild type variant which is apparently effective since we don't have that many wild type reinfections worldwide.
2. The paper also checks for T-cell response and show it is still mostly intact against the variant.

The J&J vaccine was shown to be relatively efficient against the SA strain and I expect the two-doses Pfizer to be even more efficient against it.

I also think you are overestimating the speed at which the variants enter the country and become prevalent. The UK variant has been detected since the end of December, yet there's around only 800 cases of it across the country. 40 cases for the SA variant and 1 case for the Brazil variant.

We don't have the raw number of infections to generate many variants on our own. As long as entry is controlled correctly, new variants will have a hard time entering and spreading unnoticed.

Reactions: SensibleGuy

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
So if the trends fits your narrative, it's ok?
Example, if a factor is consistently overstated by 50%, the trendline can still be observed. That is fact. That is high school level math skills. The fact my innocuous comment is questioned/challenged proves a pertinent observation here. You should step back and become more skeptical.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Example, if a factor is consistently overstated by 50%, the trendline can still be observed. That is fact. That is high school level math skills. The fact my innocuous comment is questioned/challenged proves a pertinent observation here. You should step back and become more skeptical.

I am skeptical. Skeptical of you.

You have proven again and again that you are biased due to your work and social environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->