Canada Russia Final again?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Oh please, Lats would be in the AHL if he wasn't french or on another team.

Oh please... 50% of the forwards woulb be in the AHL then.

And Lats would'nt be there, he's still junior aged.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Latendresse 36gp 8g 9a 17points.

Malkin 32gp 17g 17a 34points.

try again.

Hmmm...wait.

One is 20
The other 19

One had Calder written over him
The other shouldn't be in the NHL, according to ...euhmm... some living on the wrong side of Poland.

Last edited by a moderator:

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
Even if he played on the bench, Latendresse has a gold medal around his neck at-least... :sarcasm: Ovechkin and Malkin have NOTHING! Best players outside the NHL my ***...

I like Latendresse, i've seen most of the habs games this year, and he's improving all the time. Recently he's still putting up goals and assists while playing on the 4th line. But your comment was ridiculous.

The guy won a gold medal sitting on the bench.

Your comment makes it sound like he's better than Malkin and Ovechkin because he has a gold medal. That would be about the same as saying Martin Biron is better than Marc-André Fleury because he has won a Memorial cup and a gold medal at the world Junior championships (even though he was sitting on the bench for both of those wins).
:)

espo*

I sure hope so,i live for the opportunity each and every single time it happens.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I sure hope so,i live for the opportunity each and every single time it happens.

I love the match up too. Both teams are usually in opposite pools and don't meet up until the final. Russia always has a depth of players that few in North America have seen play and it is always great to see how Canada stacks up against them. They are always emotional battles with a clash of styles that makes the games amazing. Its the passion the players display that makes these two countries the best in the hockey world.

As well, there have been many incidents over the years that fuel the competitiveness of the match ups. Piestany, Sutherby being spitted on, Kovalchuk pumping his fist on an empty net goal. Canada has had its share of dubious plays as well. Clarke and Downie come to mind. Its that competitive nature with contempt that makes the games incredible to watch.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
He's got an excellent point. :teach:

Wow.

You just keep posting nonsense in this thread, don't you? First of all, Semin didn't play in '05 as he is born in '84.

Second of all, Ovechkin has a gold medal as he played for Russia at the 2003 World Juniors where they beat guess who.. Canada.

Malkin has 2 silver medals. They may not be gold, but you can't say that's nothing especially considering he dominated in both '05 and '06 tournaments.

And what does Russia losing to Canada have to do with Ovechkin and Malkin being the best players outside the NHL?? Perhaps you could think of somebody better than them during that time period?

And lastly, just a reminder. in 2002, Russia was down to Canada 2:0, made it 2:1 only to fall back 3:1 but then came back to take the gold 5:4. In 2003 it was a rematch and this time on Canada's home soil in Halifax where Russia once again took gold and this despite Fleury's heroics in Canada's net.

So what now? When Russia wins 2 golds in a row, it's nothing, but when Canada does it, it's a big deal?

In the last 5 years, Russia has 2 golds and 2 silvers compared to Canada's 2 golds and 3 silvers. The difference is huge, isn't it?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
There are only two true nations in hockey. Canada and Russia. The rest form the second tier.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
I would love to see another Canada and Russia final with Canada beating them for the their third straight gold medal of course ;)

Next Best Thing*

Is is me or did no one notice the :sarcasm: (SARCASM) in the Latendresse post? HELLO?

He wasnt saying Lats is better than Malkin. But typical of HF, all red flags going off at once...

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Is is me or did no one notice the :sarcasm: (SARCASM) in the Latendresse post? HELLO?

He wasnt saying Lats is better than Malkin. But typical of HF, all red flags going off at once...

Thank you! I never compared Latendresse to Malkin and I didn't brought Latendresse's name first. Some frustrated Russian did because I have Latendresse's avatar and because I just remembered him that we destroyed them two years in a row, despite the fact they had the best player outside the NHL both times.

wildone26*

I dont think it is foregone Russia will win their pool. If Finland goes undefeated the rest of their games, including beating Russia they would win the pool. I think they are capable of doing so.

wildone26*

I dont, the sheer thought of Canada losing to Russia in any major hockey final is enough to make my stomach churn. If they lose to anybody I would rather it be almost any other top team, except maybe the U.S. I hate to see them lose at all, but Finland, Sweden, or Czech are all prefered choices for me if it must be.

wildone26*

I laugh at anyone saying there are only 2 hockey nations. As one other said guess who is reigning Olympic and World Champions, not Russia or Canada. Finland is probably the most consistent country of all, outside of maybe Canada, medaling at almost every major hockey event-World juniors, Worlds, Olympics, they almost never win but pop up again and again in the top 3. The Czechs went through a period of 4 years from 98-2001 it seemed they won almost everything. There are definitely more then 2 hockey nations in the first tier.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I laugh at anyone saying there are only 2 hockey nations. As one other said guess who is reigning Olympic and World Champions, not Russia or Canada. Finland is probably the most consistent country of all, outside of maybe Canada, medaling at almost every major hockey event-World juniors, Worlds, Olympics, they almost never win but pop up again and again in the top 3. The Czechs went through a period of 4 years from 98-2001 it seemed they won almost everything. There are definitely more then 2 hockey nations in the first tier.

Agreed

I think Canada is a run away #1, by depth and talent

Russia, Chehs, Swedes, Finns 2nd group

Slovaks and US are a 3rd group with very little if any gap between them and the 2nd group

Swiss, Germany 4th

Belorus', Latvija 5th

and a whole group of coutnries to follow such as Kazahstan, Ukraine, Norway, Austrija, Italy, France, Slovenija, Denmark, sorry if I forgot someone, but this countries make up a 6th group that keeps popping up on the world scene just to go away for 3-4 years and come back again.

wildone26*

Agreed

I think Canada is a run away #1, by depth and talent

Russia, Chehs, Swedes, Finns 2nd group

Slovaks and US are a 3rd group with very little if any gap between them and the 2nd group

Swiss, Germany 4th

Belorus', Latvija 5th

and a whole group of coutnries to follow such as Kazahstan, Ukraine, Norway, Austrija, Italy, France, Slovenija, Denmark, sorry if I forgot someone, but this countries make up a 6th group that keeps popping up on the world scene just to go away for 3-4 years and come back again.

Yeah that is exactly how I would put it too.

espo*

I dont, the sheer thought of Canada losing to Russia in any major hockey final is enough to make my stomach churn. If they lose to anybody I would rather it be almost any other top team, except maybe the U.S. I hate to see them lose at all, but Finland, Sweden, or Czech are all prefered choices for me if it must be.

Sure,it's always enough to make you sick when you lose to Russia,especially in a major game.

But i'm still a competitior and i love the challlenge each and every single time.They are usually great games because of the hate and talent of both teams and some of the very best games i've seen in my life have been those two teams going at it.I am not willing to give that up because of the pain i'll feel when/if we lose.No-one can win them all and that's just the way it goes.You have to take the good with the bad.I look at it another way....if we never played them,we would never have the chance to beat them and when we beat them it's the greatest feeling in the world.The closest thing to an orgasm in hockey for me except the feeling lasts a lot longer then the real thing.You can't beat that!!

When we win the payoff is out of this world,just like it will be if it can work out that way this year.

It's the most storied rivalry in international hockey,i must have clashes with them at regular intervals,even at the possible expense of losing.

wildone26*

Sure,it's always enough to make you sick when you lose to Russia,especially in a major game.

But i'm still a competitior and i love the challlenge each and every single time.They are usually great games because of the hate and talent of both teams and some of the very best games i've seen in my life have been those two teams going at it.I am not willing to give that up because of the pain i'll feel when/if we lose.No-one can win them all and that's just the way it goes.You have to take the good with the bad.I look at it another way....if we never played them,we would never have the chance to beat them and when we beat them it's the greatest feeling in the world.The closest thing to an orgasm in hockey for me except the feeling lasts a lot longer then the real thing.You can't beat that!!

When we win the payoff is out of this world,just like it will be if it can work out that way this year.

It's the most storied rivalry in international hockey,i must have clashes with them at regular intervals,even at the possible expense of losing.

Actually great analysis! When Canada does beat Russia in a major final it is the absolute greatest feeling in the World for a Canadian hockey fan, moreso then any other country, even the U.S(especialy since Canada is so used to beating the U.S the fun is reduced). :yo:

espo*

Actually great analysis! When Canada does beat Russia in a major final it is the absolute greatest feeling in the World for a Canadian hockey fan, moreso then any other country, even the U.S(especialy since Canada is so used to beating the U.S the fun is reduced). :yo:

Nothing beats taking out Russia in hockey.

Absolutely nothing.

time

Feb 26, 2005
During the game yesterday, TSN announcers kept mentioning that USA is Canada's biggest rival.

I don't understand this meme at all. Russia has always been Canada's biggest rival. No disrespect to the US ('96, '04), the Swedes ('94) or Czechs ('98) -- who have at times beaten Canada in the Big Game -- but nothing compares to Canada / Russia.

I saw the Soviets live twice in my life. Once at the final game of the '81 Canada Cup (yah, that stung for years); the second time at the final game of the '87 Canada Cup (yah, that one made up for it). Those two nights stand out as my greatest hockey memories ever.

The world is filled with hockey talent, and six to seven nations could win any tournament, but you have to be very young (or unschooled in international play) not to consider CAN / RUS a "special" rivalry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad