Canada needs to cut 2 D-men...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think that Egener is done as well, the tournament just isn't going to suit the type of player he is. Doesn't mean that he isn't a good prospect.

I've heard that Meech and Belle have made it, (this from Bob Mackenzie).

Meech has been paired with Dion Phaneuf (teammates of course) and they appear to be a set pair for the tournament.

Belle has apparently looked good using his speed and is the perfect type of player for this tournament.

The other defenseman cut will come from either Kevin Klein or Josh Gorges IMO.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
tray said:
Egener for sure and either Belle or Klein.

Egener won't make it.

Klein is damn reliable and will do well.

I love Belle as far as upside and potential. But we're talking about results here. I prefer him as a prospect but right now I'd opt for Klein.

Belle was all over the ice vs OUA but was prone to mistakes. He reminds me of a lesser Jovanovski and desperately needs to put all the tools together.

Who else can be cut? Who is still left?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Vlad The Impaler said:
Egener won't make it.

Klein is damn reliable and will do well.

I love Belle as far as upside and potential. But we're talking about results here. I prefer him as a prospect but right now I'd opt for Klein.

Belle was all over the ice vs OUA but was prone to mistakes. He reminds me of a lesser Jovanovski and desperately needs to put all the tools together.

Who else can be cut? Who is still left?

Gorges.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Belle was going to sit out tonight's game so I think he will not be cut. I think it's going to be between Gorges, Meech and Egener. Egener I would definatley cut and I would also cut Meech.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Yeah, I think what it will come down to is Belle has a spot guarenteed. Everyone and their dog seems to think that Egener is the odd man out which leaves Meech, Gorges and Klein.

Klein playing steady and having a right hand shot, only White and Seabrook are right handed, should almost be enough to put him on the team.

Meech and Gorges, my sentimental choice is Gorges but I believe with Meech and Phaneuf playing on the same junior team that they may for that sake alone go with Meech over Gorges. I mean face it, these two are almost identical players from what I've seen, Belle is almost guarenteed and Klein has a totally different style. Wait and see I suppose.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
I will be a little unbelievable if Belle makes this team and Gorges and/or Meech doesnt. I agree Belle is a prospect with potential but his game is so far behind Gorges, Meech, Seabrooke its not even funny. I am a huge fan of Seabrooke yet thought he was very average in the two games against university players.

I think Egener going is a no brainer and even though I think Gorges played better than a few other D-men, he will be the guy to go.

As far as the team goes, it doesnt look too promising as compared to previous years. Hope I am wrong but this group of forwards isnt much to get excited about when put up against some of the other countries.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
letterH said:
I will be a little unbelievable if Belle makes this team and Gorges and/or Meech doesnt. I agree Belle is a prospect with potential but his game is so far behind Gorges, Meech, Seabrooke its not even funny. I am a huge fan of Seabrooke yet thought he was very average in the two games against university players.

I think Egener going is a no brainer and even though I think Gorges played better than a few other D-men, he will be the guy to go.

As far as the team goes, it doesnt look too promising as compared to previous years. Hope I am wrong but this group of forwards isnt much to get excited about when put up against some of the other countries.

if white plays then egner and gorges will get cut...if white doesnt play then just egner

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Can I ask why is Meech on the roster? I didn't think he was that highly rated (not even top-20 of the Red Wings prospect pool -- which is not exactly neck deep). Are there no other offensive D-men available who are better than him? Bigger than him?

BCCHL inactive

kov said:
Can I ask why is Meech on the roster? I didn't think he was that highly rated (not even top-20 of the Red Wings prospect pool -- which is not exactly neck deep). Are there no other offensive D-men available who are better than him? Bigger than him?

Derek Meech is easily among the top 10 defencemen in the WHL.

Besides....this roster isn't based on rankings (no offence, but I wish people would quit saying stuff like, "he's not ranked as high as this guy so he shouldn't be on the team"), it is based on play at the selection camp, and Meech obviously had a good camp.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Van said:
Derek Meech is easily among the top 10 defencemen in the WHL.

Besides....this roster isn't based on rankings (no offence, but I wish people would quit saying stuff like, "he's not ranked as high as this guy so he shouldn't be on the team"), it is based on play at the selection camp, and Meech obviously had a good camp.

No offense taken, I've never seen him play. That's why I'm asking where he should be rather than telling. The reason I referred to rankings at all is just that Red Wings talent is fairly thin at D, so I was surprised to see somebody from our depth chart playing on Canada's WJC at all. Then seeing him that low on the chart seemed odd. In general, I'm happy to hear that folks aren't grumbling about him on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->