Canada minus #99 in '87

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Would Team Canada have beaten the Russians in the Canada Cup in 1987 had Gretzky not played? Now remember he didnt commit to the teeam until late, much like Messier in '91. And if you hear Gretxky's comments after the Oilers won the Cup in '87 it didnt seem likely he was going to play.

But lets just have some fun with this one. First off he had 21 points in that tournament. He set up Lemieux for the winner in games two and three. Imagine Gretzky out of that line up. We barely beat them with him there. Take him out and put a guy in there like Yzerman to replace him. Could Lemieux, Yzerman, Messier, Hawerchuk, Coffey, Bourque and Fuhr had beaten the greatest Russian team ever?

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Big Phil said:
Would Team Canada have beaten the Russians in the Canada Cup in 1987 had Gretzky not played?
Hell no they wouldn't.

Which is to say, probably not.

Ogopogo*

They would have lost without Gretzky, I think that is pretty obvious. He dominated the tournament and they only won by a goal, without him, they lose pretty convincingly, IMO.

chooch*

Ogopogo said:
They would have lost without Gretzky, I think that is pretty obvious. He dominated the tournament and they only won by a goal, without him, they lose pretty convincingly, IMO.

I was actually there :biglaugh: ; without Toe Gretz, the scores would have been 4-3 in the 87 Canada Cup Final games instead of 6-5;

Team Canada would have won in any case just like the Oilers won in 90 without him. (explain that) His floater goals were meaningless and he always demanded a lot of ice time too.

If he'd played longer with Mario, maybe he'd have learned how to play hockey like a man.

Dogbert*

I'm guessing that playing hockey "like a man" means never going into your own zone and crying like a baby whenever something more physical than being sneezed on happens to you.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Dogbert said:
I'm guessing that playing hockey "like a man" means never going into your own zone and crying like a baby whenever something more physical than being sneezed on happens to you.
i don't know if you watched the same player i did, because he endured more tackling, slashing, hooking, and plain abuse than any other star player i've seen. i'm not agreeing with chooch's point but yours couldn't be farther from the truth.

mario had 11 goals that tourney. if they don't win without gretz, i doubt they win without mario either.

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:
I was actually there :biglaugh: ; without Toe Gretz, the scores would have been 4-3 in the 87 Canada Cup Final games instead of 6-5;

Team Canada would have won in any case just like the Oilers won in 90 without him. (explain that) His floater goals were meaningless and he always demanded a lot of ice time too.

If he'd played longer with Mario, maybe he'd have learned how to play hockey like a man.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Oilers won without him because Bill Ranford played better than any goalie has arguably ever played throughout a playoff run...

He dominated the tournament. Any new poster should ignore chooch inexplicable hate for Wayne.

They would have lost without him, he was ridiculous.

Ogopogo*

chooch said:

I will explain things to you once you have explained how you became mentally handicapped.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
chooch said:

Why do you bother Chooch? Why do you hate Gretzky so much. Can't you admit he was great. A one goal tourny where he led the tournament in points and you think we would have won without him? Give your head a shake.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
cup2006sensrule said:
Why do you bother Chooch? Why do you hate Gretzky so much. Can't you admit he was great. A one goal tourny where he led the tournament in points and you think we would have won without him? Give your head a shake.

It's best to ignore him, if you do he'll disappear like the monsters under your bed.

chooch*

Dark Metamorphosis said:
i don't know if you watched the same player i did, because he endured more tackling, slashing, hooking, and plain abuse than any other star player i've seen. i'm not agreeing with chooch's point but yours couldn't be farther from the truth.

mario had 11 goals that tourney. if they don't win without gretz, i doubt they win without mario either.

Mario is the greatest player ever for the reasons you mentioned.

chooch*

Bring Back Bucky said:
It's best to ignore him, if you do he'll disappear like the monsters under your bed.

boo!

scared? why dont you stand behind the net and get your goons to protect you.

Greenback

Feb 2, 2005
MB.CA
This leads to the question: Would Canada have been in the finals without Gretzky?

It's late so I'll let someone else address this.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Without Gretzky leading the way (and the tournament in scoring easily), Canada would have been very hard pressed to even be in a position to win the Canada Cup in 1987. Without Gretzky, Mario would not have taken that last step he has admitted he learned from Wayne at this tournament to become a better player. I doubt Mario would have scored 11 goals without Gretzky there to pass it to him, take the pressure off of him, answer the sportswriters questions for him, etc.

No, I don't think they could have won with #99.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad