Canada Jr A American Import Rules

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
I've seen some American Imports playing in the Western Junior A leagues (BCHL, AJHL, SJHL and MJHL) over the past few years, although they may not be a whole lot this year because of the border issues.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
I had a nephew play 2 seasons in the MHL which is Junior A. The border guards always gave him a hard time crossing the border, saying something about this American is taking a roster spot from a nice Canadian boy! :nod:

P.S. He LOVED playing up there and has made friendships that will last his lifetime.

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
hey guys, i just wanted to clarify, is every CJHL league for the 2020-21 season not allowing american imports because of covid?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
hey guys, i just wanted to clarify, is every CJHL league for the 2020-21 season not allowing american imports because of covid?
I don't know, but I doubt it very much. As long as the American import follows any and all border crossing rules (quarantines, etc) and then billets in Canada, why would they be treated any differently than usual? Most Jr A teams still list Americans on their rosters, don't they?
:dunno:

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
I don't know, but I doubt it very much. As long as the American import follows any and all border crossing rules (quarantines, etc) and then billets in Canada, why would they be treated any differently than usual? Most Jr A teams still list Americans on their rosters, don't they?
:dunno:
No, my OJHL team pushed their training camp back and back, and then the gm told all the 3 americans to find elsewhere to play. I looked at all the rosters for MJHL, OJHL, SJHL, it seems like all the Americans that are playing there hold dual citizenship, come from Alaska, or previously played there and I guess never left the country. I just want to like confirm this.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Wellington and Trenton both had Americans in their lineups today during their preseason game

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
According to EliteProspects.com, there are 86 Americans on BCHL rosters. The Chilliwack Chiefs list four Americans (Getz, Krys, Lyons, and Teleguine) who played in the US last season. That said, the league hasn't started its regular season.

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
yeah, I'm aware of that. but I also see that a bunch of these kids also have NAHL or NCDC teams listed below them. For example, "MC" is listed as Surrey BCHL, but it also says hes on the roster for Maine Nordiques NAHL where he played games. Same with "BD" on Nanaimo BCHL where he's also listed on Austin. This also applies to other Jr A leagues in canada.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
For example, "MC" is listed as Surrey BCHL, but it also says hes on the roster for Maine Nordiques NAHL where he played games. Same with "BD" on Nanaimo BCHL where he's also listed on Austin. This also applies to other Jr A leagues in canada.

I just saw that. I'm guessing (I have no inside knowledge here) but I'm thinking that players like "MC" and "BD" will be heading to the BCHL if the league starts its regular season and the players are allowed to cross the border. Other players, like Teleguine and Getz, aren't listed with any other team. Given that the season is on hold, who really knows what will happen?

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
yeah, I'm aware of that. but I also see that a bunch of these kids also have NAHL or NCDC teams listed below them. For example, "MC" is listed as Surrey BCHL, but it also says hes on the roster for Maine Nordiques NAHL where he played games. Same with "BD" on Nanaimo BCHL where he's also listed on Austin. This also applies to other Jr A leagues in canada.
Just trying to get some games in. Like how quite a few CHL guys have been playing in the USHL to start the year and Bedard was in Sweden to start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->