Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
From mutiple sources, here's the stud's and dud's of the camp so far:

Stud's or Standouts: Charles Hudon, Jarrod Maidens, Sean Monahan, Hunter Shinkaruk, Griffin Reinhart, Matia Marcantouni, Nick Walters (because of big hit), Gianluca Curcuruto, Andreas Athansiou

Dud's or Dissapointment's: Matthew Dumba, Adam Pelech, Connor Rankin (victim of Walters hit, seemed injured), Ryan Olsen

I had originally tweeted that Dumba's performance was a bit disappointing for me, but have since changed my mind. He was lacking a bit of control in his skating, and was stumbling around the ice a bit. I have no doubt he was battling a skate issue. Looked like he was missing an edge or something the more I watched.

Hard to call Rankin a disappointment considering he got knocked out in the first half hour of the first practice. I wasn't down there today for practice so I'm not sure if he's back on the ice or not.

Reinhart for me was a bit of a disappointment as well. Looked like he lacked a bit of upper body strength and his skating was mediocre. Long stride, but wasn't overly powerful. Didn't really get exploited in the drills though, especially with his reach.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Surprised Nick Ebert isn't on the US squad considering he's one of the top prospects for the 2012 draft. Is USA Hockey not happy with him for playing in the OHL instead of the NDTP?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Surprised Nick Ebert isn't on the US squad considering he's one of the top prospects for the 2012 draft. Is USA Hockey not happy with him for playing in the OHL instead of the NDTP?

I dont think so, infact I think he might still get an invite to the US WJC camp coming up, and that is why he isnt on this team.

There are plenty of very talented young CHLers that did not make this squad : Ebert, Iafrate, Donnay, Webermin, Petacchio, Vail, Blujus, etc so I wouldnt think too much into this.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Game 2 of Canada's camp gets underway in an hour. I'll be tweeting again.

Aaron how do the WHL players look so far from your viewings? and do the big 4 WHL defenseman look to be locks or is it too early to tell? Craig Button had his edition of Craig's List today focusing on the U-18 camp and he had: 4-Dumba 3-Pouliot 2-Reilly 1-Reinhart so I was just wondering if they are looking lie standouts so far or if he is just basing his list off of pre-camp hype.

Ams1fan

Sep 10, 2009
Rankin status?

Can anyone give on update on Connor Rankin? Hope he isn't hurt too badly.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Aaron how do the WHL players look so far from your viewings? and do the big 4 WHL defenseman look to be locks or is it too early to tell? Craig Button had his edition of Craig's List today focusing on the U-18 camp and he had: 4-Dumba 3-Pouliot 2-Reilly 1-Reinhart so I was just wondering if they are looking lie standouts so far or if he is just basing his list off of pre-camp hype.

I'll handle the defensemen question now, the other will have to wait until morning!

If I'm ranking the defensemen, I'm doing it a fair bit different. Reinhart left the game in the second period tonight as well, but I didn't get an update on why.

1. Dumba
2. Reinhart
3. Rielly
4. Pouliot
5. Walters
6. Pulock

Pouliot has looked good, but in short stretches. He's been inconsistent at best. At this point, there are six or seven other defensemen I'd take before him if I were selecting the team, including Walters. Pouliot, in my mind, has been better, but Walters is more physical and adds a bit different element than the other defensemen on my list.

As an aside, is Craig's List part of a radio show or is it a column?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
uh oh, what happened?

Got drilled by Olsen yesterday. Hasn't skated since. Sat near him and his family this morning when they were talking about Hockey Canada. Leipsic looked broken hearted.

Murray was also hurt yesterday. Heard it was a neck but didn't confirm. He was walking around fine, though.

As I previously mentioned, Reinhart left the game today sometime during the second period I believe. Can't pinpoint when he actually left because I didn't notice his absence until the third. No big hit or play that knocked him out. There was no update available on him.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
I'll handle the defensemen question now, the other will have to wait until morning!

If I'm ranking the defensemen, I'm doing it a fair bit different. Reinhart left the game in the second period tonight as well, but I didn't get an update on why.

1. Dumba
2. Reinhart
3. Rielly
4. Pouliot
5. Walters
6. Pulock

Pouliot has looked good, but in short stretches. He's been inconsistent at best. At this point, there are six or seven other defensemen I'd take before him if I were selecting the team, including Walters. Pouliot, in my mind, has been better, but Walters is more physical and adds a bit different element than the other defensemen on my list.

As an aside, is Craig's List part of a radio show or is it a column?

Here is the link to the Craig's List:

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip510019

Thanks for the info! It is interesting that you have the big 4 ranked in the exact opposite order as they were drafted to the Dub.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Here is the link to the Craig's List:

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip510019

Thanks for the info! It is interesting that you have the big 4 ranked in the exact opposite order as they were drafted to the Dub.

Keep in mind we are only talking about three days of watching them though.

Our preliminary rankings have them:

1. Rielly
2. Reinhart
3. Dumba
4. Pouliot

Though they are all spaced from 7-11 overall so it's tight!

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Team Finland

Goalies:
Jean Auren - Sport
Joonas Korpisalo - Jokerit

Defensemen:
Jimi Kuronen - HIFK (-95)
Mikko Lehtonen - TPS
Esa Lindell - Jokerit
Ville Pokka - Kärpät
Rasmus Ristolainen - TPS
Niklas Tikkinen - Blues
Mikko Vainonen - HIFK

Forwards:
Alexander Barkov - Tappara (-95)
Henri Ikonen - KalPa
Juuso Ikonen - Blues (-95)
Rasmus Kulmala - TPS
Artturi Lehkonen - TPS (-95)
Jasper Lindsten - TPS
Samu Markkula - JYP
Topi Nättinen - JYP
Eetu Patronen - KalPa
Jonatan Tanus - Tappara (-95)
Mikko Tauriainen - Kärpät
Teuvo Teräväinen - Jokerit
Kalle Torniainen - HIFK

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I had originally tweeted that Dumba's performance was a bit disappointing for me, but have since changed my mind. He was lacking a bit of control in his skating, and was stumbling around the ice a bit. I have no doubt he was battling a skate issue. Looked like he was missing an edge or something the more I watched.

Hard to call Rankin a disappointment considering he got knocked out in the first half hour of the first practice. I wasn't down there today for practice so I'm not sure if he's back on the ice or not.

Reinhart for me was a bit of a disappointment as well. Looked like he lacked a bit of upper body strength and his skating was mediocre. Long stride, but wasn't overly powerful. Didn't really get exploited in the drills though, especially with his reach.

wow cudnt be any futher from the truth.........

Matt DUMBA

TSN.ca Notes: Matt Dumba of Red Deer certainly stood out - fearless and physical. He was slick with the puck, spinning away from defenders with a great cross-ice stretch pass through the middle to start a rush. He had great anticipation in his own end and a big open ice hit on the penalty kill. Head coach Steve Spott after the game called him "a dynamic player," and, "the real deal."

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I was at Gm 2 last night - hope to have article up, but time hasn't cooperated thus far...Some random observations in the mean time (forgive the grammar):

Blueliners:

Team Red:

- I couldn't agree more with Coach Spott in term of the dynamic ability of Matt Dumba - definitely looks like "the real deal".
- Derrick Pouliot was definitely impressive as well. He's a smooth PMD and exudes a high hockey IQ.
- Griffin Reinhart is going to be a good one. Before he went out in the 2nd period, he was up & down for me. At one moment he looked like a great sized dman with physicality and skill to go with, but then he made a couple of errant passes.
- Gianluca Curcuruto was contributing nicely on the offensive end.
- Jesse Graham is a little undersized but obviously very talented offensively and show it in game 2.

Team White:

- Nicholas Walters impressed me with his ability to pick his spots in jumping into the play.
- Slatter Koekkoek scored a smooth shootout goal.

Forwards:

Team Red:

- Although plays that might not float in the big league, Charles Hudon exhibited some silky smooth shiftiness with the puck and was also quite active with his stick away from the play (read: dirty).
- Athanasiou added his 4th goal in 2 games.
- Troy Bourke set up Chandler Stephenson for the game's 1st goal and a nifty saucer pass. He also fought off 2 Team White players later in the game on the PP to keep the puck in the zone & got it back to the point.
- Thomas Wilson (6'4") scored Team Red's 3rd goal on a beauty shot.

Team White:

- Brendan Magee was tenacious & relentless; he scored Team White's 2nd goal on a blunder giveaway in their own zone looking opportunistic and burying his chance.

2013 eligible prospects:

- Kerby Rychel (son of Warren) scored on a beauty slapshot topshelf from the faceoff circle on the rush.
- Hunter Shikaruk was dangerous all night - bright future.

___

*THW Senior Prospect & Draft Analyst

*The Next Ones (from the files of The Hockey Spy)

*Twitter: @ChrisRalphTHW

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
wow cudnt be any futher from the truth.........

Matt DUMBA

TSN.ca Notes: Matt Dumba of Red Deer certainly stood out - fearless and physical. He was slick with the puck, spinning away from defenders with a great cross-ice stretch pass through the middle to start a rush. He had great anticipation in his own end and a big open ice hit on the penalty kill. Head coach Steve Spott after the game called him "a dynamic player," and, "the real deal."

Did you miss where I said Dumba has been the best defenseman in camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->