Canada - Ivan Hlinka Champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I've noticed there was no Olli Maatta in the Finnish roster???

He'll be with the Finnish U20 team that's playing against the US and Sweden in Lake Placid at the same time this tournament takes place.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Galchenyuk is actually going to play with the US in something? I guess it doesn't matter since Myers and Oleksiak both did and didn't represent the US later (Oleksiak still could but it's unlikely) but for some reason I though Galchenyuk wasn't going to play for the US even at the Ivan Hlinka.

No, it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things since this isn't an IIHF sanctioned tournament. That said, I'd be surprised if Galchenyuk goes in any other direction than the U.S. It's more of a business decision than anything, whuch makes it differant (in some ways) than Oleksiak and Myers.

As for this U.S. roster, it's got some good talent, but it's hard to tell how these teams come together based on how they are constructed. Last year's team lost 1-0 in the championship game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
US has better forwards while Canada has better defense. As for goalers, I think it's very close between both countries with Tremblay and Murray probably as the duo for Canada, but Jon Gillies is gonna be a beast @ 6'4 and still room to grow.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
The Zehnal brothers trying out for Czech team? Interesting. Ondrej is garbage but Richard is a very good player and built like a truck and was highly thought of in the scouting community (played in the USHL in 09-10 as a '94) before this year, where his development stalled as he played under an extremely defensive minded coach that didn't mesh with his game.

They aren't coming back to Sioux City as both weren't protected and no one knows where they will play next year.

Anyone overseas hear anything about these two?

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
US has better forwards while Canada has better defense.

Interesting analysis.

Canada's roster is almost all major junior. Several of the US's forwards played HS or, worse, age group hockey. One of the players whom they have listed as playing in the USHL, in fact, played only one game in the USHL. So, you're either underestimating Canada or overestimating the US.

Believe me when I tell you that when I looked at the forwards on that US roster my jaw dropped. It's not very impressive - especially in light of whom they passed over; Cody Bradley being one such player. The defense on the other hand, IS solid, but there's not a lot of offense there either.

As for goalers, I think it's very close between both countries with Tremblay and Murray probably as the duo for Canada, but Jon Gillies is gonna be a beast @ 6'4 and still room to grow.

Gillies is going to have to carry the team. Frankly, I believe that he can.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Interesting analysis.

Canada's roster is almost all major junior. Several of the US's forwards played HS or, worse, age group hockey. One of the players whom they have listed as playing in the USHL, in fact, played only one game in the USHL. So, you're either underestimating Canada or overestimating the US.

Believe me when I tell you that when I looked at the forwards on that US roster my jaw dropped. It's not very impressive - especially in light of whom they passed over; Cody Bradley being one such player. The defense on the other hand, IS solid, but there's not a lot of offense there either.

Gillies is going to have to carry the team. Frankly, I believe that he can.

Interesting, but would you take United States over Canada's defense? I don't think I would.

Last edited:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Switzerland just beat Germany 10-0 and 6-3 in exhibition games.
94 should be a good generation in coming for Swiss Hockey.

Last edited:

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Interesting analysis.

Just curious but who on the US roster played below high school level hockey?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Just curious but who on the US roster played below high school level hockey?

A number of players on the US team played at the Midget Major (U18) and Midget Minor (U16) levels last year. That said, some of those teams are still as strong as some of the weaker high school teams that other players on the team played at. Here's a break down of where each played...

Gillies - USHL
Petersen - U18

Brady - USHL
Doherty - Shattuck-St. Mary's (Strong U18 schedule)
Hanson - WHL
Lowney - U18
Pesce - U16
Slavin - U16
Wade - USHL

Cox - U18
Galchenyuk - OHL
Hinostroza - USHL
Johnson - North Dakota High School
Kurker - U18 (Boston Little Bruins) and Massachusetts High School
Lappin - U18
Masters - USHL
Nanne - Minnesota High School
Nieves - New England Prep School
O'Regan - New England Prep School
Payne - OHL
Schilkey - U18
Silk - USHL (NTDP)

You can't really compare this team to Canada. However, many of the other teams in the tournament are composed of players who've played at the U18 level for the most part. Comparable US teams have managed to be competitive in the tournament.

Most of the players on this US team will be in the USHL this coming season.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
No, it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things since this isn't an IIHF sanctioned tournament. That said, I'd be surprised if Galchenyuk goes in any other direction than the U.S. It's more of a business decision than anything, whuch makes it differant (in some ways) than Oleksiak and Myers.

As for this U.S. roster, it's got some good talent, but it's hard to tell how these teams come together based on how they are constructed. Last year's team lost 1-0 in the championship game.

I know it doesnt matter a lot, mentioned that in my first line. I can't be surprised with whoever he picks, it's unlikely he makes the US team this year and unless he plays for the WC team he won't have another shot to play at the US till the 2013 WJC (Because of what the US does with U18), so the Russians will have plenty of time to sway him, as the Canadians likely did with Oleksiak after he did not make the WJC team.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
no AJ Michaelson? I thought he could have made the winterhawks at 15. Too bad he's going NCAA he could have a huge year with the team Portland has.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
no AJ Michaelson? I thought he could have made the winterhawks at 15. Too bad he's going NCAA he could have a huge year with the team Portland has.

Michaelson was actually at the US selection camp but wasn't selected for the team. He's a talented player but he's just not putting it all together the way many had hoped. His stock has clearly fallen from where it was a year ago.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Interesting, but would you take United States over Canada's defense? I don't think I would.

No. My point, which was probably unclear, was that the US' D, such as they are, probably have more experience against better competition than their offense.

It's going to be up to Gillies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->