Canada is GOLD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
mjb45 said:
Game looked boring from what I saw. I didn't really enjoy this tournament too much.

Au contraire, mon chum. This tourney was solid all around. I saw great individual efforts, and an absolute perfect performance by Canada. No way was it boring. It was hockey, the way it should be played.

Proof that talent alone doesn't win you cups and medals. All guts and glory.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
deandebean said:
Au contraire, mon chum. This tourney was solid all around. I saw great individual efforts, and an absolute perfect performance by Canada. No way was it boring. It was hockey, the way it should be played.

:teach: Absolutely!

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Congrats to the Canadian Team and Canadian fans from the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manatoba, Saskatchewan, and last but not least Alberta. :cheers:

Last edited:

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I said this in another thread, but it stands true:

This wasn't the best final ever, but it's one of my favorites just because of the outcome.

A team full of guys who weren't expected to go far, and some even had out of the medals, comes together and sets a record (Canadian or tourney?) for fewest goals allowed. Just fantastic. It could have been a better game, but the outcome was perfect.

As for the goal, it really is a shame. Who knows what would have happened in a 2-1 game, but at least Canada didn't let up and squeak out a win, only adding more importance to the goal that never was.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
deandebean said:

You are right it was a great tournament .. Canada was spectactular ..

I think you have to consider that the poster is a diehard Habs fan ..

Carey Price cut ..Latendresse barely played so to a Habs fan that would make for a disappointing tournament ... but sadly he let his bias get in the way of enjoying a wonderful event and great Team Canada win ..

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Mess said:
You are right it was a great tournament .. Canada was spectactular ..

I think you have to consider that the poster is a diehard Habs fan ..

Carey Price cut ..Latendresse barely played so to a Habs fan that would make for a disappointing tournament ... but sadly he let his bias get in the way of enjoying a wonderful event and great Team Canada win ..

He shouldn't. I've been a Habs fan since birth (1966). Latendresse has some issues to deal with. Jacques Demers eluded tonight that the kid has to focus on hockey. He's got too much going on around the game, too many newfound friends, etc. Needs to concentrate on hockey more. I believe this will be a great learning experience for Latendresse. He's 18, so he'll be part of the team next season. If he gets his head straight, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a leader next season. He's got the tools. Now, he's got to leave the Montreal hype alone, and just play hockey like he did last season in the playoffs.

Ditto for Price. This kid probably will be the goalie next season for Canada. But before that, he needs to focus on hockey.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
deandebean said:

Well said. Overall it was a great tournament, and almost every game was a lot of fun to watch. Canada's heart and effort were great to see, but I also really enjoyed seeing all the other prospects from Europe.

As you said, no way was this boring, it was great hockey. And even as a Hab fan, though Latendresse didn't play much, there is no way that can take away from how great this tourney was. Great win for Canada but he Russians played a great game and put forth a good effort.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
deandebean said:
He shouldn't. I've been a Habs fan since birth (1966). Latendresse has some issues to deal with. Jacques Demers eluded tonight that the kid has to focus on hockey. He's got too much going on around the game, too many newfound friends, etc. Needs to concentrate on hockey more. I believe this will be a great learning experience for Latendresse. He's 18, so he'll be part of the team next season. If he gets his head straight, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a leader next season. He's got the tools. Now, he's got to leave the Montreal hype alone, and just play hockey like he did last season in the playoffs.

Ditto for Price. This kid probably will be the goalie next season for Canada. But before that, he needs to focus on hockey.

Agreed on both accounts ..

This is team Canada and sure you can cheer for your own prospects to make the team .. But once its selected they all belong to Canada and supported accordingly .

Both Hab prospects likely to be essential to next year success ..

PS ..On the topic of related prospects Chipchura was a great player and captain for Canada ..

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
I have to admit i was hoping Canada would blow this tourny but i was glad to see the Russians get their *** kicked AGIAN!

But the one thing i was not happy with this world juniors was the Canadian fans, booing the USA team is something but booing the US national anthem is just plain stupid. The Canadian fans have no respect for the americans that is clear but booing their nathion anthem is just taking it to far, that shows no class at all.

The Americans had way to much cockyness on their team, players hated each other. All in all they shot themselve in the foot. I was going for the americans from the beginning, but after that Swiss game i knew they will just blow it agian.

All in all the tourney was good, The swiss were one of the big surprizes. If that goalie does not get drafted this year ill be shocked. Great tourny, and i cant believe im saying this but CONGRATS CANADA!

P.S. Teach your fans some respect for other countries national anthems!

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Not to open that can of worms again, but it was embarrasing as a Canadian to listen to the Canadian fans booing the US national anthem - very disrespectful. On the other hand, it was nice to see the appreciation they gave the Russian team, and particularly Malkin, after the gold medal game.

The game wasn't pretty, but the intensity (especially in the first period) was just insane. The boys showed a lot of character pulling out a convincing win against a team with superior talent. :handclap: :handclap:

Clownpipe*

That was freakin AWESOME! What a fantastic game! I knew Canada would win, but I had no idea we would DOMINATE like that! I got great satisfaction seeing the dejected Russians hanging their heads after getting their asses handed to them...and watching the Americans lose was like the cherry on top. Canada's two biggest hockey rivals are left to lick their wounds while the underdog Canadians hoist the hardware...what a great story. :clap:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Gordon_Gekko said:
That was freakin AWESOME! What a fantastic game! I knew Canada would win, but I had no idea we would DOMINATE like that! I got great satisfaction seeing the dejected Russians hanging their heads after getting their asses handed to them...and watching the Americans lose was like the cherry on top. Canada's two biggest hockey rivals are left to lick their wounds while the underdog Canadians hoist the hardware...what a great story. :clap:

Congrats to Canada for the win. Congrats to most of your fans as well, as most of you are unlike the above character.

Clownpipe*

Boucicaut said:
Congrats to Canada for the win. Congrats to most of your fans as well, as most of you are unlike the above character.

you wanna explain yourself? i'm extremely happy my team won and i'm also happy my two biggest rivals lost. nothing wrong with that. what's your problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Gordon_Gekko said:
you wanna explain yourself? i'm extremely happy my team won and i'm also happy my two biggest rivals lost. nothing wrong with that. what's your problem? please explain yourself...you sound like a little pansy who's digging for something that's not there. :dunno:

feel free to educate yourself:

http://webster.com/dictionary/gloat

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Bud The Spud said:
Same here. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy Canada won. I just wish that the game would have been better.

Yeah. Way too much clutching and grabbing. I hate how they went from zero tolerance to so free-for-all gropefest

Clownpipe*

Boucicaut said:

ha! gimme a break dude...this was the championship game against our most bitter hockey rival. when there's as much history and bad blood between these teams as there is, it's impossible not to get into the competitive spirit. then when you get the russians running their mouths before the game, telling us how easily they were dominate us?! ha! looks like they just got a taste of their own medicine! i loved every minute of it. to hell with the russians...i don't feel sorry for them (or the americans) at all.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
First and formost congrads to Canada. Great game and IMO the MVP should go to coach Sutter. I've haven't seen the taking away of center ice and play brought to the boards so masterfully done since the Islanders in 93. Perfect game plan.

Just a question. How is it that Canada is always going up against some huge villian or is almost always painted as an underdog? Has anyone checked the numbers of this WJC. The Canadians goals for, goals against, wins, losses and team stats are all very impressive. Plus they are a hockey powerhouse. How could anyone not have them in a running for a gold? Great game and a great win but the added drama by the media and fans is really annoying.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
I really took no pleasure watching the Americans fall to Finland. Rather I hoped they'd redeem themselves and put in a spirited Bronze medal performance, but alas.

With the Russians, on the other hand, it was most delicious to watch them plowed endlessly into the boards enroute to a 5-0 rout. If there's anything I can't stand it's cockiness, and judging from pre-game comments (which is all any of us have to go on), the Russians have that in spades. For some reason it seems that all Russian WJHC teams are cocky and I don't know why. Is this a prized virtue among adolescent males in their country? Where is the humility? Where is the modesty, even if it's only lip-service?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I would like to congratulate Canadian fans on this deserved victory! As much as I'm sad and bitter right now Canada deserved it.

I went to bed and quit listening to the game after two periods hoping to see a miracle on my computer screen in the morning... :cry:

Anyway, congrats once again. You have helluva coach. He's the MVP...

<---------- See the date on the left side? That's the date when I'll be happy! :snide:

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
#66 said:
Just a question. How is it that Canada is always going up against some huge villian or is almost always painted as an underdog?

Shhh..don't tell anybody! :).

Seriously, in Canada, no matter how good our junior team is reported to be by the "experts" leading up to the tournament, we always assume that they will challenge for the gold. Anything else is failure. It's harsh, but it's just the way it is with Canadians and hockey. And it seems to work!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
McGuillicuddy said:
Shhh..don't tell anybody! :).

Seriously, in Canada, no matter how good our junior team is reported to be by the "experts" leading up to the tournament, we always assume that they will challenge for the gold. Anything else is failure. It's harsh, but it's just the way it is with Canadians and hockey. And it seems to work!
Thats fair enough by me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad