Canada is by far best International team

Rather Gingerly 1*

Look at all the tournaments when best players were available. Canada won in '72, '76, '84, '87, '91, '02, '04. That is 7 wins. The only ones they lost was in '81(Soviets), '96(Americans), '98 (Czecks), '06 (Swedes).

No other nation has won 2 while we won 7.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Thanks for sharing that. This has never ever EVER been debated on this board before. I'm sure several people will chime in with arguments that we haven't heard yet.

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
I think it was repeated at least ten times that best Soviets didn't participate in Canada Cup 76.

Plus Canada lost Challenge Cup in 79. Of course, two or three poor swedes in that NHL team is a good excuse. But we all know that if Canada won that series it would be immediately called "the series of the century".

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I think it was repeated at least ten times that best Soviets didn't participate in Canada Cup 76.

Plus Canada lost Challenge Cup in 79. Of course, two or three poor swedes in that NHL team is a good excuse. But we all know that if Canada won that series it would be immediately called "the series of the century".
As far as 76 goes, as we have also heard 10 times, if they didn't send their best that is their frigging fault and they lost. In 72 Canada didn't send their best, & that is our frigging fault but we still won.

Brad*

Look at all the tournaments when best players were available. Canada won in '72, '76, '84, '87, '91, '02, '04. That is 7 wins. The only ones they lost was in '81(Soviets), '96(Americans), '98 (Czecks), '06 (Swedes).

Now that you've stated this obvious fact, will you sleep better in your red and white sheets tonight?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

When a team is made up of players not all from the same nation, it is not the national team. That is not rocket science, nor is it arguable.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Historically Canada has been the best team......but victories in the 1970's have nothing to do with today's game.

There is no dominant team today. Especially considering we're at the point where teams like Canada and the Czechs can lose to Switzerland.

Last edited:

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
As far as 76 goes, as we have also heard 10 times, if they didn't send their best that is their frigging fault and they lost. In 72 Canada didn't send their best, & that is our frigging fault but we still won.
It's also been said at least 10 times that Canada did the same thing by not sending their best to the worlds.

I agree with the previous poster and this thread should be closed. How member with over 1,500 posts can create a thread like this without any purpose other than to brag is mind-boggling to me.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
It's also been said at least 10 times that Canada did the same thing by not sending their best to the worlds.

I agree with the previous poster and this thread should be closed. How member with over 1,500 posts can create a thread like this without any purpose other than to brag is mind-boggling to me.
XploD,

I have been expecting you to show up on this threas with your"worlds" nonsense.. We are talking here about freedom to use your best head on. Canada was not allowed to do so in the worlds. Their best 300 + players were controlled by professional teams. Canada did not control these players. THEY COULD NOT SEND THEIR BEST TO THE WORLDS BECAUSE OF OUTSIDE INFLUENCES!!!! The Soviets controlled their players. If they did not send their best, it was rheir choice. WITHOUT CANADA'S BEST PARTICIPATING THE WORLDS WERE MEANINGLESS!!!

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
XploD,

I have been expecting you to show up on this threas with your"worlds" nonsense.. We are talking here about freedom to use your best head on. Canada was not allowed to do so in the worlds. Their best 300 + players were controlled by professional teams. Canada did not control these players. THEY COULD NOT SEND THEIR BEST TO THE WORLDS BECAUSE OF OUTSIDE INFLUENCES!!!! The Soviets controlled their players. If they did not send their best, it was rheir choice. WITHOUT CANADA'S BEST PARTICIPATING THE WORLDS WERE MEANINGLESS!!!
I get such an energy boost making people upset on the internet.

Who are "The Soviets" here? I'm sure the Soviet people would've loved to see their best players compete against Canada's best players but a few men with power stopped that from happening in '76. Basically the same thing happened for the Canadians.

So lets just count the games where the best players actually played the best players because it is about the players and not the politics... or is it Murray?

Anyways, we've been over this in countless of threads before. I don't think we need to bring up the same old arguments again.

Last edited:

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
:rolleyes:

Don't want to repeat these arguements again, but people here need to learn.

So you only want to count the past few Olympics and a tournament created by Canada for Canada to win? You want to count the Summit Series that Canada won and not the one that it lost? You don't want to count the tournaments where Canada did not have all of its best while counting those where the Soviets or other teams did not have all of their best? That is just dumb.
You are very misinformed and need to get your facts straight. For example, look at the Canadian rosters for the World Championships in the 80's and the way Canada won the Canada Cup of 87.

When a team is made up of players not all from the same nation, it is not the national team. That is not rocket science, nor is it arguable.
Sure Canada had nothing to do with team NHL and that team had nothing to do with Canadian hockey. It had lots of non-Canadian players that did not care much to win. :shakehead

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I get such an energy boost making people upset on the internet.

Who are "The Soviets" here? I'm sure the Soviet people would've loved to see their best players compete against Canada's best players but a few men with power stopped that from happening in '76. Basically the same thing happened for the Canadians.

So lets just count the games where the best players actually played the best players because it is about the players and not the politics... or is it Murray?

Anyways, we've been over this in countless of threads before. I don't think we need to bring up the same old arguments again.
Who is upset. Maybe you? certainly not me. You are the one with the energy boost.I am only stating an opinion and am happy to move on. We do agree on one thing. It is not worth while continuing this argument.

Rather Gingerly 1*

That's right I forgot about the '79 Challenge Cup. Soviets have two. hehe

Rather Gingerly 1*

:rolleyes:

Don't want to repeat these arguements again, but people here need to learn.

So you only want to count the past few Olympics and a tournament created by Canada for Canada to win? You want to count the Summit Series that Canada won and not the one that it lost? You don't want to count the tournaments where Canada did not have all of its best while counting those where the Soviets or other teams did not have all of their best? That is just dumb.
You are very misinformed and need to get your facts straight. For example, look at the Canadian rosters for the World Championships in the 80's and the way Canada won the Canada Cup of 87.

Sure Canada had nothing to do with team NHL and that team had nothing to do with Canadian hockey. It had lots of non-Canadian players that did not care much to win. :shakehead

Counting tournments such as the World Championships is a joke because the best players were not there. Only players not in the NHL playoffs compete

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Counting tournments such as the World Championships is a joke because the best players were not there. Only players not in the NHL playoffs compete
You say this while you are counting the Canada/World Cups that did not have all of the best players also. Before the 1990's almost all of the best players played in the World Championships for European countries and sometimes for Canada too. So don't say that the World Championships were a joke.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
So according to you, Koharski was fair in his refereeing and did not help Canada win the last game (I am not even talking about the other two)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad