Canada Holds All the Hockey Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
I'm sure at some point the Soviet Union has.

Nope. The only time that would have been possible, when the Soviets won the 1981 Canada Cup, the U.S. was the reigning Olympic champs.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
tommi462 said:
I don't think we should count the Olympics. I mean that was ages ago.

But anyway, congrats Canada. I don't think Finland will ever achieve the same thing so I might as well be happy for the Canadians.

Why shouldn't the Olympics count? They're still the reigning Olympic champions, therefore it does count.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rob Paxon said:
Seems likely, but it is still an amazing thing to consider.

In this era of hockey, yes. Back then when the Red Army was ruling the international show, I would think it would be very likely because they always used pros for all tourneys (except WJC's) and Canada did not.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Macman said:
Nope. The only time that would have been possible, when the Soviets won the 1981 Canada Cup, the U.S. was the reigning Olympic champs.

Ah, you are right, then. I totally forgot about the Canada Cups.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
zenator1 said:
Unprecidented

Olympic
World Cup
World Championship
World Jrs.
Women's Olympic and World

Total Domination the last 3 tourneys: World Jr, World Cup, World Championship; 0 losses.

Has any country held all the hockey titles that there are at the same time before ?

:win: :hockey:

Yes, you're great in hockey. Meanwhile, in the rest of the world (ie. outside of Canada): *crickets chirping*

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I thought the Czech Republic did it a few years ago (winning in Nagano, winning the WC, and winning the WJC with Captain Kraft...)?
The world Cup hadn't been organized for a while, so you could say Czech Republic was just as dominant then.

nucks2win

Jul 20, 2003
Edmonton
I thought the Czech Republic did it a few years ago (winning in Nagano, winning the WC, and winning the WJC with Captain Kraft...)?

Depends what you consider to be the important titles.....in the original post the womens world and womens olympic titles were included, which would eliminate every country except the US and Canada, and by throwing in the World Cup/Canada Cup I believe the only winners are Russia (Soviets) the US and Canada......
This is pretty impressive, although as you can see there is a reason no other country has ever held all these titles at the same time.....

espo*

tommi462 said:
No, Canada is more like Germany or maybe Netherlands in soccer. Russia or the Czech Republic are more like Brazil.

And Finland is like England.
No,Brazil wins the most don't they? so Canada is like Brazil.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
cyclops said:
No,Brazil wins the most don't they? so Canada is like Brazil.

Brazil wins often but...

World Championships don't happen often. European championships are much more interesting and more difficult to win.

By the way if you list all Canadian wins starting from last Olympics...don't forget US won last WJHC between Canadians wins . ;)

Beakermania*

Nope, the only country to ever win a Womens World Title is Canada, therefore Canada is the only country who is capable of having every crown at once.

Lets also add the World Under 17 title that will be won tonight.

Its Canada West vs Canada Pacific.

You see every other country sends their national team and the Canadians split into 5 teams by region and still capture all 4 semifinal berths. Its just incredible right now the way the Program of Excellence has led to so much success.

espo*

BruinsGirl said:
Brazil wins often but...

World Championships don't happen often. European championships are much more interesting and more difficult to win.

By the way if you list all Canadian wins starting from last Olympics...don't forget US won last WJHC between Canadians wins . ;)
But we win so consistently....that's what it's all about.One U.S win does'nt show me anything.Heck....this is our elevenenth gold here not counting all the other medals.......we've got the hardware,you can't deny that.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Canada is the #1 in hockey only because

1) we care MORE about hockey (more Canadians watched the tournament LIVE and on TV than possibly every other nation COMBINED)

2) we put more resources in hockey (the Canadian team had FOUR coaches including even a 'goaltending consultant', as well as a therapist!)

and

3) we have a larger pool of talent from which to choose (in the recent Under 17 World Hockey Challenge, Canada's 5 regional teams finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th) though mind you it was a world championship by any means...

Reilly311

Womans sports don't count and no one cares about the World Championships and the World Cup.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
Reilly311 said:
Womans sports don't count and no one cares about the World Championships and the World Cup.
No...you don't care about the World Championships and the World Cup.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Reilly311 said:

Wrong. And I hope you didn't choose that avatar to mock him.

chicpea*

Reilly311 said:

Really? Is that why millions tuned in to watch the Women's Gold Medal game? Or why Mario came back for the World Cup? :dunno:

Classy avatar by the way.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
We're the best. What more can I say? Unprecedented domination of all levels of hockey (junior and senior). And with the way we've been churning out elite prospects the past decade (with the exception of 1996, 1999 and 2004), it's not going to end soon.

WU18 really doesn't count. Canada has only been sending teams to that tournament for three years. It's likely the toughest tournament for us to win. Even more difficult than the Worlds. We have a very depleted talent pool to choose from, and the Canadians who are playing in it have just gone though a schedule far more demanding than any European or U.S. junior league.

I care more about the Junior World Cup (held every August with all the world hockey powers), which is a U18 tourney as well. It allows teams to ice their best possible line-ups. For those of you wondering, Canada has won seven of eight years, dating back to its Four Nations days.

For the icing on the cake, Canada has swept the medals at the WU17 the last two years. Proof that the domination is going to continue.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
God Bless Canada said:
We're the best. What more can I say? Unprecedented domination of all levels of hockey (junior and senior). And with the way we've been churning out elite prospects the past decade (with the exception of 1996, 1999 and 2004), it's not going to end soon.

WU18 really doesn't count. Canada has only been sending teams to that tournament for three years. It's likely the toughest tournament for us to win. Even more difficult than the Worlds. We have a very depleted talent pool to choose from, and the Canadians who are playing in it have just gone though a schedule far more demanding than any European or U.S. junior league.

I care more about the Junior World Cup (held every August with all the world hockey powers), which is a U18 tourney as well. It allows teams to ice their best possible line-ups. For those of you wondering, Canada has won seven of eight years, dating back to its Four Nations days.

For the icing on the cake, Canada has swept the medals at the WU17 the last two years. Proof that the domination is going to continue.

1) So WU18 doesn't count because it is inconvenient for Canada? Way to go...

2) You also contradict yourself nicely:
'And with the way we've been churning out elite prospects the past decade (with the exception of 1996, 1999 and 2004), it's not going to end soon'
As opposed to:
'We have a very depleted talent pool to choose from'

Two examples of nice logic there.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
WU18 is a tournament that's easily the most difficult for Canadians to win. We go in it without our best players in that age group, and the team we take has suffered through the rigors of the Canadian Hockey League season (heavy travel, lots of physical play). That tournament is the only one where I don't get upset when Canada doesn't win.

Meanwhile, you take the Junior World Cup, we have our best U18 talent, everyone else has their best talent, and it comes at a time when the rigors of the season haven't been inflicted. I'd say that even if Canada hadn't won it six of the past seven years. And yes, I was more upset when our 1986s lost in the Junior World Cup than the WU18.

The fact is, Canada has been the dominant hockey nation for three years. It is the world's turn to play catch-up, and there are some once-great nations that have a lot farther to go than others.

When I said "we have a depleted talent pool to choose from," I was referring to our team for the spring U18 tournament. Go back to the start of the paragraph to understand the context of what I was saying.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Meanwhile, you take the Junior World Cup, we have our best U18 talent, everyone else has their best talent, and it comes at a time when the rigors of the season haven't been inflicted.

I've never seen a European nation send their best team there. Sure, there have been some good rosters but never optimized. The tournament is for building the team and testing and grooming players just like the mid-season Junior EHT tournaments, with the goal to have the best possible team in the spring. August is a terrible time for competitive hockey.

It makes sense that the praise for the achievements in all the mentioned tournaments goes to the hockey culture (i.e. Canada is great!) and it's the very same hockey culture that created the tradition of the long season which keeps some of Canada's finest out of the U18 World Championships. The culprit pays the price, so to speak.

Yet when discussing the quality of Canadian hockey on each level, what's relevant is the actual quality, not its indicators. Canada has nothing to worry about.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Do i ever dislike threads like this. I like seeing quality players playing quality hockey- wherever they happen to be from. ... i do like when Canada wins but i am glad other countries take the game seriously and win titles as it pushes everyone to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad